What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008's heros and villains

gong_eagle

First Grade

By Phil Rothfield | September 05, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24294075-5016307,00.html

IT'S that time of the year again. Spring is in the air, Mad Monday is three days away and the Dally M awards are on next Tuesday night. Our centenary season is drawing to a close. It's been one of the most exciting, tumultuous, inspiring and controversial years in 100 years - all rolled into one.
So here goes ... my major award winners for a football season that we will never forget.
Most Inspiring Story:
Wendell Sailor's comeback, without a doubt. He attracted priceless publicity for the game through his character, flamboyance and the manner in which he has conducted himself. He's a great bloke who deserves to go out a winner.
Most Passionate Moment:
When a winless Souths coach Jason Taylor broke every NRL rule in the book by calling his Souths players to the sideline for a rev-up that nearly won them the match against Cronulla at ANZ Stadium on a cold, wintry Monday night.
Coach Of The Year:
Ricky Stuart in a photo finish from Neil Henry. To lift a no-frills Cronulla to the top of the table alongside Manly and Melbourne is a better coaching effort than when he won the competition at the Roosters. Henry was also sensational in guiding a team that should have won the wooden spoon into finals contention.
Player Of The Year:
Billy Slater. He'll find it hard to win the Dally M award because he's been docked three points for a suspension and he's competing for points in a team of champions each week. But he's been absolutely outstanding since the season kicked off.
Discovery Of The Year:
Chris Sandow is raging hot favourite for the Dally M rookie-of-the-year award. But I'm a massive fan of Daine Laurie at the Tigers. He's raw but there's a touch of Sonny Bill Williams about him.
Most Disgraceful Act:
Sonny Bill Williams walking out on the Bulldogs. He and his manager Khoder Nasser lied to the Bulldogs for weeks that he was committed to the Belmore club before fleeing the country.
Worst Off-field Incident:
The allegations that Greg Bird glassed his girlfriend Katie Milligan.
Best Picture:
Wendell Sailor rubbing suntan lotion on to Willie Mason's back on their pre-season escape to Cairns.
Most Potential To Embarrass:
Nathan Brown. If Saints keep on winning and make the grand final, Dragons CEO Peter Doust and his board will be wondering why the hell they coughed-up more than $1.5million to sign Wayne Bennett for three years.
Second-Most Potential To Embarrass:
Brett "Noddy'' Kimmorley collecting the Clive Churchill Medal.
Worst Journalism:
Channel 9's interview at the top of their Sunday night news with Khoder Nasser on the day his client Sonny Bill skipped the country. The reporter allowed him to get away with saying he wasn't Sonny's manager. And that he hadn't spoken to Sonny. It was pathetic.
Most Misunderstood:
Sharks skipper Paul Gallen has done some ridiculously stupid things on the park but he's a man of compassion off the field. Without wanting publicity, he's quietly done some wonderful charity work.
Saddest Moment:
The passing of true legend Jack Gibson. I'd have loved to have seen him coaching, putting his innovative ideas in today's game against the more stereotype coaches in charge these days.
Most Promising Sign:
The emergence of some great new club chief executives of the calibre of Todd Greenberg, Grant Mayer and Tony Zappia with fresh ideas for the future of the game. The game of rugby league needs more creative minds like them and a few less dinosaurs.
Most Negative:
As a major stakeholder in the game, you would think Channel 9 would be trying to promote rugby league at every opportunity. The problem is three words - Phillip Ronald Gould. He's boring and so predictable.

Snoop

Coach
I almost threw up at Paul Gallen being misunderstood. A grub doing charity work is still a grub.

Mick_63

Juniors
LOL.
Raiders should have got the spoon.
All due to Henry.

This is the standard you get from a senior league journalist.

Amazing.

Mr Saab

Referee
Pathetic f**king article. Rothefield showing his extreme Sharks bias. The guy is a nuff nuff like the majority of news ltd journos.

Mr Saab

Referee
Talking about Paul Gallen and how is is "misunderstood" Pleaaaaaase....there is nothing misunderstood about him. He is a grub of the highest order

Kimmorley possibly winning the clive churchill medal with the sharks...yeah right...and SBW will get bulldogs player of the year.

Stuart doing a better job getting the Sharks to the top three is better than his effort winning a comp with the chooks??????

Talking about Paul Gallen and how is is "misunderstood" Pleaaaaaase....there is nothing misunderstood about him. He is a grub of the highest order

Kimmorley possibly winning the clive churchill medal with the sharks...yeah right...and SBW will get bulldogs player of the year.

Stuart doing a better job getting the Sharks to the top three is better than his effort winning a comp with the chooks??????

I think you are being bias Mr Saab

BWNB

First Grade

Gallen does do alot for charity off the top of my head he trains guide dogs in his own time or something like that.

I don't think a Sharks fan would tip BK to win the Clive Churchill medal...

And yes Stuart is the coach of the year, im pretty sure we were tipped to come in the bottom 3. He has got them together during hard times, in doing so won us a home semi.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors

Most Potential To Embarrass:
Nathan Brown. If Saints keep on winning and make the grand final, Dragons CEO Peter Doust and his board will be wondering why the hell they coughed-up more than $1.5million to sign Wayne Bennett for three years.

Why would St George be embarrassed by this? Why on earth would they have stuck with Brown at the time when they had a chance to get the most successful coach in history? Brown had a record of failure and underachievement, Bennett had the complete opposite. Wow they had to shell out 1.5 million over 3 seasons for a coach. Aren't most coaches on this money anyway.

Eels Dude

Coach
Some interesting points.

Wendell has been hardly inspiring... apart from last week's game he's done very little. The centre from Souths who beat cancer to become a first grader finally was a lot more inspiring personally.

I don't think the Dragons would be too worried about Nathan Brown to be honest. Wayne Bennett is one of the greatest coaches ever and is a strong addition to the club which who will build them for the future. Whatever Brown does this year I highly doubt they'll regret replacing him with Bennett.

Gallen is a grub. He's passionate but he doesn't give a stuff the grubby acts he does on the field, and he doesn't seem to understand why people think he's a low act. Whatever he does off the field, good on him, but he continiuosly shows poor form on the field and that just isn't up to scratch.

Can't really disagree with the rest though.

Johns Magic

Referee
Admittedly there's probably a lot of bias here on my part, but the Knights beating the Storm to send off the injured Danny Buderus on Old Boys Day and hopefully get us into the finals was pretty inspirational. Maybe that's something you can't appreciate if you're not a Newcastle fan though.

I don't really see how someone coming back from a drug ban is that inspiring to be honest. Good publicity and headlines, but inspiring?

Ram Man

Juniors
I agree with Eels dude with the Inspirational part.
Anyone who can come back from cancer to play NRL is pretty gutsy and Inspirational to me.
Jamie Simpson then daylight for inspiration of the year.
It certainly wouldnt be Dell coming back after doing drugs and getting caught...what f**king idiot would think that is inspirational....then again we are talking about Rothfield.

kbw

Bench
There some good points and I def agree Gould is probably one of the most embarrassing things about RL at the moment

El Diablo

Post Whore
Most Negative:
As a major stakeholder in the game, you would think Channel 9 would be trying to promote rugby league at every opportunity. The problem is three words - Phillip Ronald Gould. He's boring and so predictable.

news ltd papers and journos have done far worse than Gould

it was evident from Massoud's chat the other week

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg..._the_top_8_are_a_joke_parra_is_the_proof/P20/

I totally agree. Rugby league and the NRL definitely need another negative story from a different perspective. Well done…
mad.gif

BelloMagpies of Bellingen (Reply)
Fri 22 Aug 08 (11:47am)
his reply

Anytime. By the way, if you have a positive story feel free to tell us ..
Josh Massoud
Fri 22 Aug 08 (01:43pm)​
so this clown needs help to write a positive article :crazy:

they'd probably ignore it if you told them one anyway