What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 compared to 2010

pantherz9103

First Grade
There's a strong chance that the 4 preliminary finalists of 2009- Melbourne, Parramatta, Canterbury & Brisbane will not even make the top eight in 2010.

Don't think this has happened before?

In my opinion its a good thing that the comp can change that much from one season to another. Unlike other leagues like the English Premier League where the top 4 or 5 teams are pretty much the same season in season out. Still I doubt anyone predicted all 4 of those teams to miss the cut altogether.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Takes away from the value of the competition IMO, having the table flipped upside down every year makes the competition seem cheap.

Im a fan of the salary cap, but would like to see teams be able to build on their success.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Well I may be speaking from a biased Panthers point of view as we've finally made it to another finals and the Wests Tigers also had a long drought without making the top 8.

There's a strong chance that 5 of last year's finalists will not be in the 2010 version and an outside chance that Manly could miss out to, that would be 6.

dice

Juniors
This is the weakest competition I can remember. NRL need to decide whether they want to play league or touch footy and stop meddling with the rules and speed of the play-the-ball.

maple_69

Bench
Its possible to build success.
Look what Manly achieved over 2005-2008.
Penrith is hopefully doing similar this year having finished 16, 12, 11, 3(?)..

Makes those side who do compete consistently all the more impressive. St George, Gold Coast, Brisbane.

Makes those sides who rort to stay at the top even more scummy..

_Johnsy

Referee
Takes away from the value of the competition IMO, having the table flipped upside down every year makes the competition seem cheap.

Spoken like a true Parramatta fan, expecting the world and getting nothing, then walk away sulking.

Cheapening the comp, truly one of your best:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Springs

First Grade
This year seems to be filled with about 12 average, inconsistent teams, 3 bad teams and an illegal team. At least last year the top 4 were pretty consistent, this year even the dragons fluctuate from brilliant to terrible, and the next 11 teams are basically the same.
The competition will come down to the last two teams that throw their season away.

stormbati

Bench
Lack of good coaching, lack of good halves and a lack of depth. How can the tigers be in second spot? Are they really the second best side?

applesauce

Bench
Toyota cup has a lot to do with this we need a reserve grade as the tier down from the NRL.

Toyota Cup U23 should be under 23's wear the NRL teams jerseys but be technically affiliated with the NRL clubs QLD/NSW cups teams. Players need to go through the divisions like stepping stones and play a certain number of QLD/NSW cups before they can advance to NRL level.

This way when teams rebuild (Bulldogs, Broncos, Storm) they will have players who are much more advanced. They might not set the world on fire every week but they will at least be ready for the NRL level for a whole season.

Last edited:

TheDalek079

Bench
I want to see dynasties. I want to see teams rewarded for good recruitment/coaching by having 5 or so years in a row as a genuine contender. I don't want to see the top 8 constantly changing from year to year

chrisc101

Juniors
I want to see dynasties. I want to see teams rewarded for good recruitment/coaching by having 5 or so years in a row as a genuine contender. I don't want to see the top 8 constantly changing from year to year

So you also want crowds and tv ratings to go down as well?? Chicken and the egg mate.

The weakest top four i've ever seen without a doubt. All of em look like they could easily lose 2 straight in the finals and drop out.

I would rather have a different winner every year so the game grows more popular in areas where they havent won one yet. i.e My team the Warriors, if we win this year it wont be a bad thing just because the likes of storm, manly, broncos and co are not there. FMD its an even competition not a cheap one - Although i agree the top 4 is not the best of the crop - The trophy is ready for any team that wants it on that day

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Melbourne, Parramatta, Canterbury & Brisbane

cheats, arsey run to the finals when regular transmission before and after has been sh*t, had a good season out of being sh*t and have returned to sh*t with no real explanation, weren't really that flash in 2009 - just had a good run in the finals.

not that surprising.

JT_

Juniors
in 2005 Roosters, Panthers and Bulldogs didn't make the finals and they were the benchmark teams iirc.

Dingus

Juniors
As gallop said, they're not trying to put 16 green bottles on the wall.

this comp needs the cowboys and sharks

Latest posts