What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 team

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Fullback
B. Kearney -- M. Taluapapa
Right Wing
M. Taluapapa -- M. Brown
Left Centre
L. Covell -- F. Anderson
Right Centre
B. Pommeroy -- K. Filiga
Right Winger
D. Simmons -- M. Brown
5/8
T. Barrett -- B. Seymour
Halfback
B. Seymour -- B. Green
Open side Prop
B. Ross -- B. Norrie
Hooker
C. Hughes -- T Seu Seu
Blind side Prop
L. Douglas -- K. Snowden
Left side Second row
A. Tupou -- F. Anderson
Right side Second row
R. Williams -- F. Anderson
Lock
P. Gallen -- T. Barrett

First Choice -- Second Choice

cityshark

Juniors
NFL keeps me going during the offseason. I go for the Pittsburg Steelers , I dont know why. Cricket dose nothing for me , it seemes to be all stats and comparisons with this year and 2007 in Hydrabad or some other god forsaken place. All the commentators are ancient and there are no cheergirls. Hey , how good did our girls look on Friday night , spectacular!!!!!!

Quigs

Immortal
NFL keeps me going during the offseason. I go for the Pittsburg Steelers , I dont know why. Cricket dose nothing for me , it seemes to be all stats and comparisons with this year and 2007 in Hydrabad or some other god forsaken place. All the commentators are ancient and there are no cheergirls. Hey , how good did our girls look on Friday night , spectacular!!!!!!

Yeah but they got done 28 points to nil.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Fullback
B. Kearney -- M. Taluapapa
Right Wing
M. Taluapapa -- M. Brown
Left Centre
L. Covell -- F. Anderson
Right Centre
B. Pommeroy -- K. Filiga
Right Winger
D. Simmons -- M. Brown
5/8
T. Barrett -- B. Seymour
Halfback
B. Seymour -- B. Green
Open side Prop
B. Ross -- B. Norrie
Hooker
C. Hughes -- T Seu Seu
Blind side Prop
L. Douglas -- K. Snowden
Left side Second row
A. Tupou -- F. Anderson
Right side Second row
R. Williams -- F. Anderson
Lock
P. Gallen -- T. Barrett

First Choice -- Second Choice

Mr Angry, you raised one positional change I have been wondering about. Covel into the centres. he has all the skills and we can look to put some pace on the wings so it would seem a logical move to me. Does anyone have comment on this. I am no expert but lets face it, Simmo just doesnt cut it there.

Special K

Coach
I've said it before but I think Covell to the centres is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

He is fantastic under the high ball, he is positionally very strong on the wing and a good finisher. In the centres I think he would come in to often and leave his winger stranded and I don't think he has the passing game to get good ball to his outside. Plus if he let the other centre get around him then it could cause all kinds of problems with Covell's "speed".

He is a winger. Leave him there!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Special K said:
I've said it before but I think Covell to the centres is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.
He is fantastic under the high ball, he is positionally very strong on the wing and a good finisher.
Same can be said for Israel Falou, but he moved to centres this season.
I contend if the combo was Simmons and Covell any kick to our left in attack would have good chance of a result. In fact because wingers are used to defending in the air a slightly shorter kick to the centre would have Cov up against centres, works well for Cronk and Falou. In defence they would be a as strong as anyone in the air.
You point out he is positionally strong, which I would agree with. He can read play well and I have no doubt that would be of even better use in the centres, the man can read the play. One closer in has the attack with even less time to adjust to the akward man coming at them hard.

Special K said:
In the centres I think he would come in to often and leave his winger stranded
Like the Pomm does to him now?
Yes he would come in to cut off an overlap, just like he does now, just one futher in. As opposed to having the winger speed around him when a cut ball is well executed. Or a kick in behind him which he cannot chase with any pace.

Special K said:
and I don't think he has the passing game to get good ball to his outside.
Here I will disagree strongly, he is one akward man, and rarely get tackled when he has support, I contend Simmons would benefit greatly as the Cov would have wingers coming at him and get that ball away. Covell is creative, a good thing for a centre. He also knows how to run good lines, a good thing for a centre.

Special K said:
Plus if he let the other centre get around him then it could cause all kinds of problems with Covell's "speed".
Well I would say that is my problem with him on the wing, no speed and the wing is the end of line, he is vulnerable to the kick in behind and to wingers simply going around him. At least in the centres if someone tries to go around him there is a winger outside who can cut it off. Speed is more valuable to a winger than a centre. Plus Pommeroy is a deadset right handed player, he should be on the right side. His fend is completely wasted whilst on the left.
Still I repeat- speed is more valuable to a winger than a centre.

Special K said:
He is a winger. Leave him there!
Again I will disagree, if wing is the only spot Ricky is considering then I would rather Covell is not there. Simple fact f**king Turncoat out played him and he is shyte.
In short IMO Covell for left centre or left right out. Simple as that.
Someone who talks to players please ask Luke if he would like a crack in the centres.

metalshark

Juniors
1. Kearney
2. Talaupapa
3. Anderson
4. Pommeroy
5. God aka Covell
6. Barret
7. Seymour
8. Ross
9. Hughes
10. Douglas
11. Topou
12. Gallen
13. Bird (he will be back when cops drop the charges)

14. Snowden
15. Norrie
16. Williams
17. Green/CU2

Dont know if sticky would play green or cu2.

Last edited:

nullasharks

Juniors
17 out of our top 25 will be their from this year, plus the additions of topou, barrett and hughes, and their uncertainty over players such as millington, stephenson and seu seu, peek and kingston are definetly gone

Mr Angry, you raised one positional change I have been wondering about. Covel into the centres. he has all the skills and we can look to put some pace on the wings so it would seem a logical move to me. Does anyone have comment on this. I am no expert but lets face it, Simmo just doesnt cut it there.

The Sharks left it very late to resign him.

Then they only gave him a one year deal.

So they were definately looking at better options than him for the left wing position.

I don't think there going to experiment to much with him.

He'll stay on the left wing next year until some younger and quicker bloke stands out and steals his place.

Melbourne exposed him pretty easily when the heat was on in the Grand Final qualifier.

He won't be any faster next year.
If anything a little slower.
If he's on the Wing in a Grand Final qualifier next year you can be assured the great teams will expose him again.

Latest posts