What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 WARL Grand Final

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Fixtures for this weekends grand finals:

George Burnett Park, Karrawarra
12:30pm - Womens League Tag - Joondalup Giants v Central Bulldogs
1:15pm - Reserve Grade - Central Bulldogs v South Perth Lions
3:00pm - MASTERS EXHIBITION GAME
3:30pm - Tooheys Cup 1st Grade - Central Bulldogs v South Perth Lions

Should be a good day of footy.

Congratulations to the Bulldogs who have a all 3 senior sides in the Grand Final! Can't see the dogs gettin over the well drilled south perth sides in either grade though.

Nuke

Staff member
Womens LeagueTag Grand Final is actually at 12noon, and First-Grade GF is 3:40pm.
GO THE GIANTS!!!

In the other games, I will definitely be going for Centrals.

Last edited:

joondalup_giant

Staff member
well south perth have done it again slottin a field goal over in the last seconds of the game 2 win 23-22

Perth Red

Post Whore
Damn, unlucky Central. Was really hoping they would get beat for a change. Pays to have home ground advantage in a tight game!!

snowball

Juniors
totally disagrre with your last statement about home ground advantage...what a game of rugby league magnificent advertisement to our game,in the end a mistake by centrals gave south perth field position for the winning field goal with 13 seconds left,Centrals were unbelievable 12-4 down at halftime and to get back into the game was a brilliant effort,but HOME ground advantage what a silly statement,for those of us who were there to have a game played at a rugby league ground instead of the vast confines of ME STADIUM,where there the atmosphere is non existent really enjoyed the noise and feeling the crowd gave the game and well done to the WARL to play the game at GEORGE BURNETT FIELD...and once again congratulations to the Bulldogs Club and Back to Back premiers South Perth you have restored my faith in WA rugby league,bloody brilliant:):lol:

Nuke

Staff member
As would I if Joondalup was playing.....seriously...get over it......
Get over what, mate?
Like most Aussies, I like to see the battlers, the underdogs (no pun intended) to beat the favourites. Nothing against your club. It also be good to see a bit of variety in regards to WARL premiers and not just North Beach and South Perth every year. This year, Centrals were the team there that could do it ... and very nearly did. It didn't happen, so be it.

Good on both teams for making it and for turning it into a game that was won in the last few seconds.

b0rt

Juniors
totally disagrre with your last statement about home ground advantage...what a game of rugby league magnificent advertisement to our game,in the end a mistake by centrals gave south perth field position for the winning field goal with 13 seconds left,Centrals were unbelievable 12-4 down at halftime and to get back into the game was a brilliant effort,but HOME ground advantage what a silly statement,for those of us who were there to have a game played at a rugby league ground instead of the vast confines of ME STADIUM,where there the atmosphere is non existent really enjoyed the noise and feeling the crowd gave the game and well done to the WARL to play the game at GEORGE BURNETT FIELD...and once again congratulations to the Bulldogs Club and Back to Back premiers South Perth you have restored my faith in WA rugby league,bloody brilliant:):lol:
so why wasnt there a home ground advantage?

Perth Red

Post Whore
there clearly was! Ridiculous to play a GF at one of the competing teams grounds. There's plenty of "decent" grounds in perth you could play the final at without it costing alot and without giving an unfair advantage to one of the finalists.

Still lets not get into pointless arguments, good to see it was a competitive game. How many were there to see it?

Nuke

Staff member
Not as many as there should have been considering this is the pinnacle of WA Rugby League's season.

I was talking to a guy I know from North Beach at the game, and he was telling me hardly anyone from North Beach was there. He told me he asked a few guys if they were going, and their response was 'F**k that. Why would I want to go if we're not in it?' (those were his words, not mine). This isn't me blasting just North Beach people either, as I know a lot of the Joondalup crew left before the Reserve-Grade game finished. I can understand the ladies and families/partners leaving after their loss as I probably wouldn't want to hang around for a further 5-6 hours after a GF loss either, but I'm not a fan of leaving early regardless. That being said, there were a few of us Joondalup people that remained until First-Grade finished, and I'm pretty sure there were a few people from other clubs not playing too. I don't know what can be done to encourage more of the WA League public to the GF. I know a few League supporters here in WA who can't be bothered with WARL games/finals and WA Reds games. I've tried until I'm almost blue in the face to get them along, but I've pretty much almost given up now.

albert

Juniors
What mad me miffed was there was no hire of port a loo's at the ground:x
With a large crowd there,and the corporate tents on the other side of the ground would have been hard for them to got to the toilet.I ended up going in the visitors dressing sheds rather than line up in the clubhouse of which I heard was a while.

South Perth trying to save a little cash?:roll:

Nuke

Staff member
There was 2 that I saw behind the temporary seating and tents on the opposite side of the field. That was where I and a couple of Giants teammates sat and watched the First-Grade GF.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
and their response was 'F**k that. Why would I want to go if we're not in it?' (those were his words, not mine)

This is certainly one of the detrimental attitudes currently circulating, and highlights the difficulty Rugby League faces with improving attendance rates and committed support.

I've often wondered how a growing competition, with mens and womens competition across multiple grades, doesn't somehow have a greater attendance rate at either WA Reds matches, or the competitions Grand Final. Not only are there tonnes of players clearly not attending these matches, but their families and friends are not attending either.

I don't quite understand the thought process: "If we're not in it, why should we go?" ... because it is selfish, and disrespectful. Any true supporter of rugby league would want to celebrate the success of the competition - regardless of who's playing - where it's simply a matter of respect.

Obviously this is just my opinion, and probably won't be a popular one - though there are numerous occasions in the 'Rugby League' calendar in Perth, which seem to receive underwhelming support. It is hard enough to convince casual league supporters to come to games (as Nuke has found as well); though it seems equally as complex to encourage our own "fraternity" of players, administrators, families, friends and colleagues to attend. Surely, as a collective, we must lead by example at some stage?

-Shrug-.

Latest posts