What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 - Year of the Chief

shiznit

Coach
Lavea plays a different style to Holwell.

Lavea is an attacking no.10 who plays well with people running off his shoulder and he very rarely kicks the ball away.

Holwell is your more traditional first-five who will sit in the pocket a lot more and is also a much better goal kicker than Lavea.

i agree... Holwell has a flawless kicking, passing and running game. not to mention hes very good under the highball and defends like a loose forward.

Lavea is strong on the inside channels. good short passing game and can take the line on.

his main problem is he cant tackle or kick... his long passing game is rubbish and he doesnt provide leadership in a what is a vital position. id rather young Lochie Munroe.

African Monkey

First Grade
tbh, I don't rate Munro at 10 and I see his future at full-back.

On Lavea, that would be one of the main reasons why he doesn't kick so much - because he can't. He can work on his long passing game but I'd much prefer Lavea at 10 and dear I say the Auckland NPC side really missed Lavea this season. Benson will also flourish at 12 if Lavea fires this season.

Alehana

Juniors
Munro will be a star i reckon, he just needs some consistant playing time, still reckon michael Hobbs is an outside starter for blues in number 10, he played that in their under 19 team a few years back

shiznit

Coach
tbh, I don't rate Munro at 10 and I see his future at full-back.

On Lavea, that would be one of the main reasons why he doesn't kick so much - because he can't. He can work on his long passing game but I'd much prefer Lavea at 10 and dear I say the Auckland NPC side really missed Lavea this season. Benson will also flourish at 12 if Lavea fires this season.
the problem is you cant win games without a 10 who can kick. its a key skill that you need as a 10. if he was younger... like munroe... he could learn.

its like having a fullback whos hopeless under the highball.... or a slow winger.

African Monkey

First Grade
the problem is you cant win games without a 10 who can kick. its a key skill that you need as a 10. if he was younger... like munroe... he could learn.

its like having a fullback whos hopeless under the highball.... or a slow winger.
I disagree. He tends to go with the long cross-field kicks and I was a bit unfair in saying that he can't kick because he's not bad. He plays a bit like Stephen Larkham without being as good obviously but if the Blues play the style that Lavea prefers which is the old Brumbies style of no kicking, then I feel that the Blues can give this competition a real shake.

JB

Juniors
Lavea Blues 1st five?

Jesus. Thanks for making the numbers up boys. See ya next season.

shiznit

Coach
I disagree. He tends to go with the long cross-field kicks and I was a bit unfair in saying that he can't kick because he's not bad. He plays a bit like Stephen Larkham without being as good obviously but if the Blues play the style that Lavea prefers which is the old Brumbies style of no kicking, then I feel that the Blues can give this competition a real shake.
the problem with that is the old brumbies style of play doesnt work anymore... the games moved on.

shiznit

Coach
Lavea's great to watch when in form and Pat Lam also has a lot of time for the guy so I'm predicting a big year for Lavea.
if pat lam is serious he should be blooding a young kid... i know Dan Bowden is moving to auckland next year... he will be at the highlanders this season but could be around for next season.

Lavea has already signed an overseas contract for the end of this season... so even if he has a blinder... hes not going to be around next year...

if Luke McAlister wants to play in the 2011 RWC he would have to head home soon. thats another strong player to come back...

African Monkey

First Grade
if pat lam is serious he should be blooding a young kid... i know Dan Bowden is moving to auckland next year... he will be at the highlanders this season but could be around for next season.

Lavea has already signed an overseas contract for the end of this season... so even if he has a blinder... hes not going to be around next year...

if Luke McAlister wants to play in the 2011 RWC he would have to head home soon. thats another strong player to come back...
I didn't know about Lavea leaving so maybe we should blood a youngster. Hopefully McAlister comes back soon as there aren't really any quality first-fives in the Auckland region atm.

ozbash

Referee
The silence from the doubters is deafening...

The match was a mess but the result was right as the Chiefs earned a historic home semifinal, holding on for a desperate win against the Brumbies in trying conditions in Hamilton on Friday night. Ian Foster’s side went to the top of the clogged points table with the 10-7 result and will have to wait till the last match of the weekend to see if the Bulls can win against the Sharks in Durban to overhaul them.
But crucially the Chiefs can’t be pipped for second place now and their second semifinals appearance in 14 seasons will be back in Hamilton next weekend.
Prematch rain that returned early in the second half didn’t help the match as a spectacle.
And the stop-start affair didn’t suit the Chiefs nor either side’s attempt to snare four tries for a crucial bonus point.
The Brumbies earned one for their narrow loss to lift to fourth in the points table but they are extremely vulnerable as this last round plays out over the weekend.
With the slippery conditions contributing to the errors the Brumbies happily flexed a fair bit of muscle at scrum time. After dominating the Blues last week their pack had a decided early edge in Hamilton as well, although the Chiefs recovered to have their moments too
Resets and free kicks were the order of night and Chiefs loosehead Ben May was a casualty with a nasty left knee twist from one scrum collapse early in the second spell.
The Chiefs’ propping problems continued when tighthead James McGougan trudged off with a leg injury 10 minutes from the end.
And there was the worrying sight of halfback Brendon Leonard limping off soon after.
But there was no lack of effort or heart from the Chiefs.
Just as he did the previous week in the gritty win over the Hurricnaes, Stephen Donald scored all of the Chiefs' points with his penalty the only scoring action of a dogged second spell.
The Brumbies tackling was fierce and largely accurate but the Chiefs put in some big hits also as defence dominated the night.
The Chiefs received a blow before the opening whistle when classy centre Richard Kahui was ruled out, prompting Dwayne Sweeney to take over in the midfield and come up against Stirling Mortlock.
There was a hesitant start from both sides. The high ball dominated the opening quarter and this was a period of searching by both packs in the set piece.
Morlock missed the first chance for points, skewing a handy penalty.

Donald did the same at the other end soon after.
The Chiefs paid for a defensive blunder when Lelia Masaga waited for a Adam Ashley-Cooper grubber kick to go into the goal area so he could force it down for the drop out. But Brumbies wing Francis Fainifo nipped in and stole a try to break the deadlock after 32 minutes with Mortlock converting from the sideline.
The Chiefs hit back immediately, wining a clean lineout and spinning it wide for Masaga to make amends by taking the ball to the corner and from the ruck Donald crashed over for his 50th first class try. He then added the extras for 7-all and that’s how it stayed through to the interval.
Donald hit the post with a penalty attempt in the 57th minute as the Chiefs dominated the second half.
The Chiefs made an interesting tactical substitution on the hour when they replaced big Sione Lauaki with Serge Lilo, deciding to operate with two opensides as the battle for the loose ball became paramount.
The Chiefs missed a likely counterattack scoring opportunity when Liam Messam neglected an open Masga 40m out and was swamped by the Brumbies defence.
Ashley Cooper then provided the heroics for the visitors when he produce a try-saving tackle on Callum Bruce in front of the posts after the Chiefs attacked from a charged down kick as they maintained all of the pressure.
That eventually told with Brumbies replacement hooker Huia Edmonds penalised and sin-binned for slowing down ruck ball and Donald making sure of the three points this time to give the Chiefs 10-7 lead with 12 minutes left.
Poor hands by Tanerau Latimer cost the Chiefs again in a helter-skelter counter-attack that looked likely.
Sitiveni Sivivatu brought in the TMO to rule a no-try as he almost pulled off a chip and recover in the corner.
Just as they had the previous week the Chiefs hung tough when it was required to see out an ugly but famous victory.

Chiefs 10: Stephen Donald try; Donald con, pen.
Brumbies 7: Francis Fainifo try; Stirling Mortlock con.
HT: 7-7
Crowd: 17,058
Referee: Stuart Dickinson (Australia).

Hurricanes 37 (Ma'a Nonu 2, Piri Weepu, Cory Jane, Jeremy Thrush tries; Willie Ripia 2 pen, 3 con) Reds 28 (Quade Cooper, Ben Lucas, Mark McLinden, Brando Va'aulu tries; Berrick Barnes 4 con). Halftime: 24-14.

Crusaders 15 (Leon MacDonald 4 pen, dropped goal) Blues 13 (Isaia Toeava try; Jimmy Gopperth 2 pen, con). Halftime: 6-3.

The Bulls will be at home to the Crusaders in one semifinal and the Chiefs will host the Hurricanes in the other with three New Zealand asides making the playoffs after the dust settled from a pulsating final round of action. The makeup of the top four was in the balance right till the final whistle of the final match with the Bulls sneaking past the Sharks 27-26 in Durban for a vital win that saw them finish top of the table.
In the end the four teams that entered the final round with their foot in the door all recorded varying wins to sneak through in contrasting styles.
The Chiefs opened the action on Friday night with their gritty 10-7 win over the Brumbies.
The Crusaders needed some late heroics from departing veteran Leon MacDonald to get past the Blues 15-13 at Eden Park.
The Hurricanes made sure of their spot with a bonus point 37-28 win over the Reds 37-28 in Brisbane.
And then the Bulls did the business in Durban, killing off the Sharks' hopes with their one point win that was enough for them to sneak past the Chiefs and snatch the all-important No 1 spot that will ensure them home advantage all the way through.
The final points in the top four were Bulls 46, Chiefs 45, Hurricanes 44, Crusaders 41.
The Crusaders edged the Waratahs on points differential to snare fourth and deny any Australian presence in the playoffs.
The Chiefs' inability to get a bonus point out of their tense struggle with the Brumbies on Friday night ultimately cost them the top spot.
But they are delighted to still have home advantage for their semifinal although it is a demanding affair, being a rematch of last week's clash in Hamilton that saw the Chiefs hold out the Hurricanes 16-13.
It will be fascinating to see if they can again out-think and out-muscle the Hurricanes whose attack clicked into gear again in Brisbane.
The Crusaders hopes of defending their title are very much alive although thy emus hop on a plane to South Africa for the daunting assignment of trying to topple the Bulls in Pretoria.
But all in all it represents a fine and satisfying return from the New Zealand sides.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/2417975/NZ-get-three-into-Super-14-semifinals

AE2.gif

African Monkey

First Grade
Their forwards were dominated on Friday as well as a scrum that went backwards all night. I can't see them winning it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I tell you what I still reckon this Bouns point thing sucks arse.

The Tahs(whom I am happy to see out) won more games than the Crusaders.

That is farked as farked gets IMHO.

So winning does not matter as much scoring points.

Weak.

Complete floor in the system.

Parra

Referee
Rules are rules.

What adds to this is that the Tahs got done on for-and-against as well. One lousy try is all that there is in it. One try in any match and the Tahs are in the finals. But they aren't - so here's to next year.

Meth

Staff member
7-7, nearly half time in the semi-finals

Fairly even contest, but I think the Hurricanes will come back strong in the second half. I think the Chief's year ends tonight

Meth

Staff member
Chiefs win- deservedly so

Will be a big ask for them to go all the way- I think they picked up a few injuries tonight

Coastie

Juniors
Congrats to the Chiefs and their supporters, dammit!!!!!!!!. If one pass had of stuck in the dying minutes :eek: Still have to say the Tribe deserved the win and hope they get a home final against the Crushers for the Mooloo faithful. :cool:

Latest posts