What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
I'd contend that you were the one to present the absurd assertion in the first place. You can psycho-analyse someone all you want, there's no way what you're saying is fact.

23k = 15k Knights, 8k Saints.

Slightly more realistic and slightly less biased.

I was there and yes there were alot of dragons supporters there. Was 1/3rd of the crowd Dragons supporters though?

It's possible. There were quite a few down the southern end together, probably about 1/4 of the hill. But very few on the Western non-TV side and on the Northern hill.

We were in the Andrew Johns stand and the majority there were Knights fans as well. I'd say the 20-25% range is probably more accurate.

Saint Doc

Coach
You guys get more marquee matches than us. Take the two against St George Illawarra for starters. We have a very small away crowd but IMO, based on how good our squad looks for next year, we will see our averages climb. A little more FTA would also help our cause.

In fairness, only one of the Saints games counted in their home average as the others was ours. And we came down and, regardless of whether it was our away support, our relatively large canberra support base, or the fact we were appealing for raiders fans to come out of the woodwork to watch...we delivered you guys a crowd approximately twice what you normally get, so we've helped both averages.

People are claiming that it wasnt saints fans who accounted for 5-7000 of teh canberra stadium crowd, and instead say it ws the fact it was a day game, and that you guys were on a roll, and that your season depended on a win, on that it was against a top of the table clash etc. And yet another season defining game on a roll against the cowboys and 11,000 show up. Other day games, and games against quality opposition have had similarly poor crowds.

Sure, easts may get some away support to help their average. But what is the population of the eastern suburbs (deleting souths territory) compared to canberra? Canberra is a one town team, with only 7 or so brumbies games to compete with. The Roosters have Sydney FC, Swans, Waratahs at their home ground, not to mention 8 other NRL clubs.

I can't believe I'm ranting to support the roosters here, but Canberra crowds, for a one town team are terrible. Im not saying that other clubs, including the dragons, shouldnt be doing better as well, but it was raiders fans who started throwing stones from the glass houses earlier in the year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Canberra's terrible crowds are made even worse by the fact the Brumbies continually outdraw them.

TheDalek079

Bench
BRI 33,927 - compared to others very good, but could have been higher considering it's the broncos. a disappointing start to the season by the team can explain this though
CBY 19,201 - great stuff bulldogs!! especially considering the poor season on the field
WST 18,086 - another good effort by the Tigs! good crowds
PAR 17,598 - very pleasing
SOU 17,355 - good crowds here. a solid platform to work on considering their membership numbers. should climb much higher in future seasons
GCO 17,129 - lower ticket prices and this will be 25k. still a solid effort
STG 16,687 - if only their stadium/s had higher capacity. consistently good crowds, but WIN/Kogorah limits their potential
SYD 16,184 Only due to our massive rivalry drawing opposition supporters in. still pleasing considering some of our 6-8k crowds
NWC 14,792 - should be higher
NQL 14,549 - should be higher. poor performance on field is to blame?
MEL 14,138 - bad season for Melbourne, but their crowd is ok. look for 20k at AAMI next year
MAN 13,624 - improve their low membership numbers and this number will be around 17k
NZW 13,313 - pissweak supporters only turn up if NZ looks finals bound. should be selling out MSS every game
PEN 13,244 - just like the sea eagles
CAN 12,373 - disappointing for a one town team
CRO 10,551 - at least it's above 10k. needs a turnaround on the field and at the club, then the crowds should increase

Plenty of improvement left, but promising signs.

Timmah

Staff member
To be fair to NZ fans, the weather is almost always atrocious there.

Timmah

Staff member
And I'm hoping against hope we can crack 20k tonight to bump the average up just a tad more. Second place average home crowd (best in NSW) after a season where we're likely to finish bottom four = awesome.

shewi6

Juniors
And Newcastle's crowds will be better even allowing for a bad season. The opening of the new stand for round 1 should atleast guarantee 1 crowd of 30 000 to bump their average for next year hopefully.

dgsfan

Juniors
So dogs finish 2010 as sydney's number 1 supported team, even though we finished behind teams like saints, parra and tigers (who are coming 2nd)

Chook Norris

First Grade
And Newcastle's crowds will be better even allowing for a bad season. The opening of the new stand for round 1 should atleast guarantee 1 crowd of 30 000 to bump their average for next year hopefully.

what will be the new capacity? 30k? seems like a pretty massive increase

Timmah

Staff member
32k as I understand. The old western stand was tiny in comparison to what the new stand will hold - it will be configured in an almost identical fashion to the Eastern Stand.

Will look awesome.

Saint Doc

Coach
So dogs finish 2010 as sydney's number 1 supported team, even though we finished behind teams like saints, parra and tigers (who are coming 2nd)

Great effort, but the comparison is silly as the 3 teams you mentioned all play at grounds with capacities 18-20k, and all three had sell-outs at those games. That doesnt take away from the dogs numbers, as other than 4 games, the other 8 were all above the NRL season average...very impressive.

If i were you Id just stick to being proud of your numbers rather than comparing to clubs who are (were) in finals contention. It would be like me saying Dogs, Souths and Roosters were the only teams not to have a capacity crowd this year!! Its not a fair comparison, just like averages won't be a fair comparison when certain clubs have the odd blockbuster that draws mid-30k's to boost the average (saints and ANZAC day included)

Timmah

Staff member
I think the bottom line is that for a bottom four club to be the best-drawing in Sydney is a phenomenal effort. If we were in form we'd have given Brisbane a run for their money IMO, and left most NSW clubs for dead.

dgsfan

Juniors
How often did the Dragons get sell outs, though? Doesn't win hold 20,000? Should they then be averaging close to that?

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think the bottom line is that for a bottom four club to be the best-drawing in Sydney is a phenomenal effort. If we were in form we'd have given Brisbane a run for their money IMO, and left most NSW clubs for dead.

Super effort!

Interesting that 3 of the top 5 drawing clubs are going to be missing the finals this year!

Good job by those teams to pull big crowds!

flamin

Juniors
How often did the Dragons get sell outs, though? Doesn't win hold 20,000? Should they then be averaging close to that?
Win and Kogarah are both around 18k. (Disgustlingly small) They've both pulled around the 20k mark in the past but because of safety reasons etc they don't get anywhere near that now.

Also St George have quite a few season ticket holders so if only a fraction don't show up it makes quite a big dent at such small gronuds.

dgsfan

Juniors
It's could even be 4 of the 5 not makng he finals with Brisbane in doubt.

if the dogs were in the same position as the dragons I reckon we'd have averaged close to 25 if not more.

Maybe if he dragons are so popular they should play out of a bigger more modern stadium. You know, one that has seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts