1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

2010 Crowd Watch

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Timmah, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CC_Roosters

CC_Roosters First Grade

not bad for an out of town team, similar crowd v raiders so hopefully this sets the bar for their minimum crowd. First game V a sydney side is the roosters in round 5 they should be getting 15-16K no problem

2. Brutus

Brutus Referee

12,148 @ Gosford.

Piss poor for a game involving the Knights.

3. Brutus

Brutus Referee

Will we beat the crowd average of 2009?

4. Man_of_Steel_1982

Man_of_Steel_1982 Juniors

I disagree. I think small stadiums automatically limit the number of people who consider going to the game. A crowd of 15,000-ish in a 20,000 seat stadium is typical - it would be highly unlikely in Sydney to have complete sell outs week in week out. However, play in big, easy to access stadiums, with seemingly limitless seats and plenty of cover - most decent Sydney clubs would grow their figures (in line with performances of course). Big venues encourage the spur of the moment "let's go to the footy tonight" scenario.

We should aim for big blockbuster games getting 40 - 50,000. It will take time, but once that culture is established it'll stay, people won't think about going, they just will. Crowds won't / can't grow much more in current suburban grounds.

Either upgrade grounds to 30k (who pays for that!), rationalise grounds and upgrade what's left (middle of the road) or go down the AFL path.

5. user_nat

user_nat Coach

Plenty of teams already play out of big stadiums (Roosters, Bulldogs, Souths, Tigers) and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Then again most of you guys from Sydney don't seem to think ANZ or SFS are decent anyhow.

So is the solution a new stadium?

6. Brutus

Brutus Referee

Absolutely 100 percent agree with that post!!

7. mave

mave First Grade

Yep, the Central Coast is falling over themselves to get a team fulltime up here.:lol:

You would think that the locals would be wetting themselves at seeing some NRL action at Gosford but apparently not. Maybe everyone up here already has a team and doesn't need any other.

I didn't go to the game as I hate seeing Manly take their "home" games away (and Singleton is an a grade arsehole), and don't give me any bullcrap about renovations at Brookie, we do this twice every year.

8. Teddyboy

Teddyboy First Grade

I think the NRL has had a bad start and iam f**ked off with the crap crowds at Gosford,gong and Penrith.
    Even more f**ked off that the Swans have a big crowd.

9. flamin

flamin Juniors

SFS is a decent stadium but away from the majority of the population.

ANZ is in al right location but not a RL ground at all.

10. flamin

flamin Juniors

SFS is a decent stadium but away from the majority of the population.

ANZ is in al right location but not a RL ground at all.

Also nat its no coincidence that all the teams you mentioned currently have the largest average crowds in Sydney.

11. Teddyboy

Teddyboy First Grade

Maybe the people of the Central Coast have given up on seeing a Rugby team now with all the farting around by the NRL and not kicking out some of the wasted teams in Sydney.

12. mave

mave First Grade

Maybe the NRL is waiting for the people of the CC to show some sustained, definitave proof that they will support Rugby League on the coast, before the licence is granted.

After all the local population does have some form in boycotting the "local team".:lol:

13. Loudstrat

Loudstrat Coach

So you can have a pathetic excuse for not attending that game, but CC residents can't?

Maybe the people of the CC hate seeing manly take their home games away as well!

What's Union got to do with it?

And what would you know about Sydney teams living in the land of the lost bathwater ffs?

14. user_nat

user_nat Coach

Maybe CC needs an AFL team, they seem to do quiet well in Sydney.

(not sure why we are bashing the CC crowd, was probably the best of the night. With no "real" local team)

15. Teddyboy

Teddyboy First Grade

Well last years crowd was over 15000.

16. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

given a large % of the crowd seemd to be in Manly or Knights gear I wonder how many people were actually from the CC watching the game?

They should play two non NSW teams there to give a true indication of the level of support for a team.

17. mave

mave First Grade

Maybe Florimo and Fairliegh should be encourging all CC residents to show the NRL how committed they are to live NRL by actually turning up to a game. You know, to show the passion for a real CC team actually exists.

How is it pathetic if I choose not to support my team taking a "home" game up here to the CC. I buy my season tickets and choose to only utilise 10 of the 12 games on offer. I thought I would still be contributing each fortnight by having SEASON TICKETS.

18. coach

coach Guest

The crowd at Gold Coast looks poor

19. mave

mave First Grade

I did see 1 bloke holding up an old Norths jersey during the telecast. things are looking up.

20. user_nat

user_nat Coach

I'm sure the ticket counters at skilled will disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.