What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 GRAND FINAL: Panthers v Bluebags

PENRITH PANTHERS
439 Points

LeagueNut - Conversion
(728 Words)
This writer has displayed the various emotions of different members of the crowd, awaiting a potential victory (or defeat) involving a sideline conversion attempt. It displays what could be going on with the people at the game, or at home, and the impact that could occur whether it's a successful kick or not. I did like the way this one was written, but of course, with the way some of these articles go, the end keeps you guessing. You tease. I know we've all waited for this moment, whether it was this, or a video referee decision. As much as I'd like to know the end, I did enjoy it as a read in general.

madunit - Please, Give Generously
(742 Words)
This writer has displayed a world (sounding similar to the one I still feel we live in) where AFL is seen as a disease and NRL a remedy. As awkward as this sounds, I definitely enjoyed the humour in this tongue-in-cheek piece. I don't know how easy this was to write, it seemed like every piece fit in perfectly. I don't know if it was intentional, you'll have to let me know, about the name of the child, Jack. Could it be referring to the Jack family, where Garry wants son Keiran to, I guess, rid himself of the disease with a remedy sometime in the future? Or am I looking way too far into it?

Azkatro - Snap Decision (Part II)
(747 Words)
This writer has continued the story regarding himself and a sibling. It's of course, reminiscient of the story of Todd Carney in a way, with the writer sounding like Brian Smith (no offence if you don't like him!). I remember the first part of the piece. It's difficult to write articles like this, I've failed in the areas where I believe you have succeeded. You reminded me just enough what was happening to not let it affect this section of the story. I could remember, I won't look back on it, that the first part had a very upsetting ending, it's good to hear it's not the case this time around.

Big Mick - Football Eulogy For Fred
(747 Words)
The writer has presented a literal eulogy for his beloved uncle, a beloved Roosters supporter. It's beautifully written, including scenes of memories and triumphs. I can't really think of anything else to say, beautiful.

The Piper - Voices Of Grandeur
(733 Words)
The writer has presented the tale of a rookie on Grand Final day, hearing two voices ; one of encouragement and one obviously of disencouragement. As simple as it does sound to create, it's cleverly written (and what I would also believe to be very accurate). Just like the first article I marked today, the ending kept me guessing. Again, you tease.

NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS
440 Points

muzby - This Article Is Proudly Brought To You By Heinz
(750 Words)
The writer has written quite a humourous, yet strangely fact-driven piece regarding sponsorship and it's take in the competition in the modern era. I didn't know what I would be expecting before I read this, but it's a great piece. I know for a fact you aren't the only person who will be asked something along the lines of "why did the Broncos move most of their games to Sydney", but that is beside the point. Overall, you also used the 750 word limit to it's maximum.

Drew-Sta - My Dad Will Be There
(748 Words)
The writer has written a beautiful piece about his beloved father and the memories they shared together. It reflects well on the bond the two had shared throughout what seemed like many extraordinary years, which is extremely well written.

Gorilla - Slap, Slap, Slap
(750 Words)
The writer has written a.......piece........regarding the humility and sensation of the traditional nudie run. It's a strange piece, yet extremely humourous. It just makes me thankful I never played a proper season of Rugby League (though I wish I would stop playing pool...).

Willow - I Have A Dream
(750 Words)
The writer has written a piece regarding the true spirit and brotherhood of this sport. Despite being 21, I am a proud traditionalist, I have to admit, and articles like this do speak well to me. That quote by Ettinghausen needs to be copied and pasted into every signature of the forum, because it's such a simple thing to embrace our sport together. Roosters might label Dragons chokers, Dragons might label Roosters soulless, but every decent fan on the day will take a moment, sit back, victorious or in defeat, and embrace what they've just witnessed.

Red Bear - The Sheds
(750 Words)
The writer has given us a picture of what the Newtown side would be like if they actually represented a real rugby league outfit. Sure enough to say, I might even like to be a fly on that dressing room wall. An interesting article, and a bit different to the ones you usually see regarding the forum sevens competition.

What a wonderfully fought Grand Final, but once again, the winners are Newtown for season 2010.
Ten wonderful pieces, these two teams have fought extremely well to be here and deserve their accolades and praise.

Congratulations one and all!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
GG all, thanks for the game!

Well done Panthers, took us right to the edge and a 1 point game is truly deserving of this show down.

Well done Baggers, into the tub for a coldy!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
First and foremost, I'd like to thank NT for his speedy refereeing. He's gone on to redefine speedy!

And yes, Jack was a reference to Garry's son. I didn't really expect anyone to pick up on it, damn I'm glad you did (you should give me an extra 2 marks for that extra piece of added genius) ;-)

Congratulations to the bags on their victory and their season. Well deserved winners.

To the Panthers, no one expected us to be here, even some of us, at the the start of the season. But we've shown we have the talent and abilities to be seen as a heavyweight in the comp alongside Titans and Bluebags.

Finally Mick, we all love ya. I told you your article would score 90 didn't I ;-)

Well done all.

Time to get those awards crackin!

Bloody oath! Looking forward to awards night this year (yes...I do remember last year...it was screaming on the speakers while I was doing the dishes)

Big Mick

Referee
Thanks NT for the speedy marking. Seriously great effort that!

To the Bluebags, congrats on the title. Well played and congrats to Drew-Sta on a fantastic article.

To my lads, Thank you so much for this years effort. Each and every one of you have put in so much this year, and sacrificed a lot to post. I am truly thankful for everything you've done for this team.

Onwards to next year and hopefully doing one better!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just picking myself up off the floor...

First up, thanks a million to the Panthers. You guys were sensational this year and a small part of me wanted to see you win. Although a slightly larger part of me wanted the 'bags to win. :D But you get the gist, it was one for the spirit of the game with old competitors making the F7s the winner. No one lost, just first place-getters and runners-up. If there is one regret, it is that someone had to come in second.

Us Baggers salute youse all!

bluebags_jubilee_bodyguards_hats.jpg

To the ozzie medal winners Big Mick and Drew-sta, truly touching pieces and well deserving. Congrats on the silverware, hope there's two medals otherwise you'll have to move in with each other. lol

Mighty 'baggers... thanks for the grey hairs. LOL! Tremendous team work again. Nothing left in the tank I'm sure. It doesn't get any closer than this but we fell over the line. And a special word for Gorilla who just played his last F7s match... going out a winner. :clap:

Time to get in the tub... My shout! Panthers, refs and everyone are welcomed. Jump on board, the Baggers bus is leaving...

bluebags_celeb_mardigras.jpg

LeagueNut

First Grade
Ahh, so close and yet so far. Well done everyone, and congrats to the Bluebags - a well deserved Premiership. :)

Willow said:
Time to get in the tub... My shout!
Move over mate, I'm coming in ... :alcho:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
well done one and all... a great game befitting of a grand final..

was very nervous reading through those scores..

thanks panthers for a good match & thanks baggers for a mighty season!

bartman

Immortal
Congratulations Bluebags, another premiership to add to your cabinet.

Congratulations also to the Panthers on a fantastic season, and yes Unit, you guys do deserve to be regarded as heavy weights along with the Bags and Titans (from someone that had thought there were really only two outstanding teams leading the way). Well done and best of luck to all next season.

gorilla

First Grade
Bin AWOL - euphoric ....

thank you ref, ball girls.

Great game panthers, it's hard to lose and about as hard as it gets by a point.

Congrats Big Mick, and especially Drewsta, excellent POTMs.

Bags, you've done it again !

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Getting very late, but congratulations to Newtown on another Premiership - you guys are the benchmark and have been for a long time. Given that you are effectively St George v2.0, we are all happy for you guys :)

Congratulations also to Penrith for a fine season, and a brilliant performance in the Grand Final. Scores were amazing, and I'm sure you guys will start 2011 as one of the Premiership favourites!

Latest posts