What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Starting Halves - Mortimer, Keating & Robson

Jeff Robson or Tim Smith ?

• J.Robson

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • T.Smith

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

parraeels

Juniors
Who do you think will start the season at 6 & 7?

I personally would like to see Keating and Mortimer re-united and have

6. Keating
7. Mortimer

We would just need a defensive solution if they go with this, as you saw Storm ran all over Morts in the GF.

Angry_eel

First Grade
6 Mortimer
7 Robson

I think its dangerous having two flashy halves. One has to be a workaholic like Robson. Keating can be brough on to provide some spark.

bartman

Immortal
I reckon any combination of the three would do fine. DA can select starters and inject whichever of them from the bench if he feels that we need a little extra defence or a little extra attack for or during a particular game.

Robson certainly gets through a power of defence pretty reliably, but Keating wasn't too bad at that either and Mortimer also puts his body on the line.

On the flip side, maybe Keating and Mortimer can run a side with a bit more flair than Robson, but do we really need two of those style of players starting together, or should we start with the combination?

Either way, these three players will make a good 6,7 & 14, in whichever way DA decides to play them. I won't be losing too much sleep over who starts and who doesn't in Round One, or any game.

slammingsam

Juniors
Both are still very green.
I dare say Mortimer is more suited to the halfback role then Keating but at the same time Mortimer showed he can attack very well from 5/8.

I guess it is just about finding the right balance.
Hayne wore the 1 and still played like a 5/8 alot of the time.
I wouldnt be too worried about what number they have on there back.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
7. Robson
6. Mortimer
14. KK

Id bring KK on at five eight, move Morts to half and then Robson to either lock or hooker or straight off. Id like to keep Robson on the field at all times because of his maturity. If I was coach I wouldnt be too comfortable with having Morts and KK running the show just yet, but I can see Morts and KK providing a one two killer blow in games. I think its possible all three can have a role to play in the team, but the development of Ant Mitchell will be a factor to the teams future.

slammingsam

Juniors
I dont think any team no matter the players involved - can afford to switch there halves around.

I think it is okay to play two hookers..
But halves is a big no no.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
I dont think any team no matter the players involved - can afford to switch there halves around.

I think it is okay to play two hookers..
But halves is a big no no.

Agree 100% never switch your halves, these are the two players you set the platform with. I'd love to see Morts and KK starting as I think they will be our long term future but as the saying goes in DA we trust. I'm just hanging for the season to start, I hate this time of the year :(

caylo

Bench
I think we will see

6 Mortimer
7 K.Keating

9 M.Keating

14 Mitchell, Humble or Robson

At the moment I think KK has a better game and is more suited to the halfback role. While Robson served us well I think our lack of creativity was exposed by Melbourne and to much responsibilty is placed on Hayne.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
kk is our best young half, although Robson is very good in his own right, kk is the more talented and should be starting by late next season in fg.

Ant

Juniors
It will be interesting, you would think though the two halves who took us to the GF would have the inside running. The way our side plays you don't need two dominant halves, given that Hayne and Mateo are both going to do some ball playing and kicking.

Robson was a good settler, who just was a nice link man in the middle, and as the season wore on was able to show us a bit of a running game. Mortimer has a good running game and is a great support player, probably keating is similar.

But perhaps we need to look at who would be best at replacing Kingston and I think kris Keating fits that back up hooker spot best, as he has great turn of foot. Although he is a tough little character, I don't know if Robson will actually benefit us as much at 9 and Mortimer is just not big enough.

So for mine

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

9. M.Keating

14. K.Keating

Oh and add Tom Humble in the mix, probably as an option at 6, he was the best 5/8th in the qld cup last year. A player in the lockyer style (not class yet, just style), who has speed to burn and a great support player. He could swoop in and beat them all to the punch if he can replicate his form at NRL level. He has a solid kicking game as well.

Isn't it great to have options. But in the end being half at the eels next year hopefully might be a fun job, choosing who to pass it too, Fui, Poore, caylo, Hindy, Mateo, Hayne, Tahu, Inu, Grothe, Reddy, Burt. 2010 is looking good.

Parra Guru

Coach
Robson should and will get first crack in 2010.

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

9. M Keating

14. K Keating

Gronk

Staff member
Robson should and will get first crack in 2010.

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

9. M Keating

14. K Keating

x2. Robbo deserves first crack. Helping steer the club into the GF must surely get him a leg up over KK. Can't believe anyone would not respect that. :?

The Colonel

Immortal
x2. Robbo deserves first crack. Helping steer the club into the GF must surely get him a leg up over KK. Can't believe anyone would not respect that. :?

Keating isn't a halfback yet. If that is the role he is going to take on then down to Wenty until he learns the role...... otherwise slot him into the 14 jersey where his speed and enthusiaism will be best utilised.

84 Baby

Referee

Keating isn't a halfback yet. If that is the role he is going to take on then down to Wenty until he learns the role...... otherwise slot him into the 14 jersey where his speed and enthusiaism will be best utilised.
x4

However I seriously think people are over-rating his ability especially his defence. Robson is, and has to be, a pass first mentality with good vision to run support and at least put his body on the line in defence. He starts at 7 either for Parra or Wenty and plays 80 minutes. There is no 9 or 14 or 13. His defence is good for a halfback, for hooker or lock it is atrocious.

The Colonel

Immortal
x4

However I seriously think people are over-rating his ability especially his defence. Robson is, and has to be, a pass first mentality with good vision to run support and at least put his body on the line in defence. He starts at 7 either for Parra or Wenty and plays 80 minutes. There is no 9 or 14 or 13. His defence is good for a halfback, for hooker or lock it is atrocious.

I'd disagree. Robson needs to run a bit more otherwise we are going to have the same problems we did early in 2006 by being too one dimensional. There were times last year he needed to run to the line a bit more as the defence came up looking for Hayne and Mortimer. That will be more an issue this year......

ianlovesparra

Juniors
6 - Hayne :sarcasm:
7 - Keating

Seriously though, got to be mortimer and keating in the halves. Robson can come off the bench as bach up hooker, good defender and im sure he can give the halves good service from there.

parra pete

Referee
In my opinion, now Jeff Robson has had his contract issues settled until the end of 2011 season, you'll will find that he will be a vastly improved player, and one his team mates, especially Nathan Hindmarsh, enjoy playing alongside.
But then again, it is only my opinion and we all know how much weight that carries on this forum. It's like talking to the birds sometimes. :lol:

Bruce Wayne (aka Batman): "Yes, Dick, your bird calls are close to perfect. If more people practiced them, someday we might have a chance for real communication with our feathered friends."
Dick Grayson (aka Robin): "In that case I think I'll polish up my ruby-crowned kinglet and my rose-breasted yellow-tailed grouse-beak calls."

84 Baby

Referee
I'd disagree. Robson needs to run a bit more otherwise we are going to have the same problems we did early in 2006 by being too one dimensional. There were times last year he needed to run to the line a bit more as the defence came up looking for Hayne and Mortimer. That will be more an issue this year......
In 05-06 we played a 'pass to create opportunity' style attack, last year we played the offload game. Only the greats can consistently play the the 05 model the way it needs to be, which it seemed our 06 team (halves in particular) could not. Offloading is about being more physically dominant than the opposition in strength, speed and awareness. It may be one dimensional, but to beat it the opposition has to be even more dominant in defence. And last year noone even came close to that.

In any case, as Robbo hasn't proved to be the most skilful or creative half, he needs to be an organiser and just know when and who to throw the ball to. If I were Robbo, I'd be sitting down everyday leading up to a game reviewing tape after tape of every opponent, seeing which players have weaknesses and thinking of ways to attack them. He should be doing it so much that when game time comes he can just sit back out of the line and tell other people where to run.

Yeah Tim Smith was criticised in 06 for not running enough, but 20 to 1 he didn't do enough studying of the other teams, and 50/1 he didn't do anywhere near what I believe Robson should be doing. Maybe if Smith had there'd be less argument whenever his name is brought up