What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Starting Halves - Mortimer, Keating & Robson

Jeff Robson or Tim Smith ?

• J.Robson

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • T.Smith

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
My only critisism of Robsons "good" half of our year was his speed. He was a bit slow to make the play but he always had the idea right, his experience was more valuable.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Originally Posted by Raudonikis
neither mortimer or kk need robson at half in anyway whatsoever they both sh*t on him talent wise and will only blossom together.robson would only have been signed as backup.he isnt a half backs arsehole and never will be.i dont understand people on heres love affair with him when we havve morts n kk
6..kk
7..morts

wenty. robson.

I respect your judgements, Raudonikis; especially on halves - I think you know what you are talking about. But I also think you are greatly under-estimating Jeff Robson. As I have said in another thread, don`t you think that after his very first full year in the top grade, he might be more confident to try things and might just improve as an attacking player? Do you think he might have been conservative because he wanted to cement a spot and gain another contract? Everyone thinks Mortimer and Keating will improve; I can`t see any reason under the sun why Robson wont improve too.

Totally agree with you Lingard.

Was it a fluke that the Eels won heaps on the trot to play in the GF with Robson at 7 (in all those games) playing as a passenger enjoying the ride??????

Or was it more to do with Robbo in the team at 7 providing something that has been missing for some years????

I think the answer is found in the way Robbo demolished the Dogs in the GF qualifier!!!!!

parracelebrates_wideweb__470x334,0.jpg

natheel

Coach
in the end its DA's choice and i back him 100% its proof even after the start of this season that it took us a while to adjust...but i think he will go with Robbo and Morts to start the year as it got us to the GF with the keatings rotating the hooker position

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
My opinion which means jack sh*t, is Robson has very limited skills, terrible kicking and passing game. However he defence is good and he knows how to action a game plan. He was very important to our success in 2009. And maybe he may improve in 2010. But picking a player especially a half back because of defence will hurt any side.

Lets not forget Kris was picked in front of Robson, after Robson was given first chance at half after Finch left. Kris was starting to show some form at half before his injury. As much as Robson and Mortimer were the halfs that led us the GF can anyone honestly say that Mateo and Keating would not have done the same and maybe performed better.

Anyhow I am a keating fan however I think Robson should be given first chance at half with Kris at 14. But I think by round 10 Kris will be starting in the half's

I wonder what form Kris would show if he had the opportunity Mortimer / Robson has had, over half a season playing in the half's . Kris has been moved from 5/8 to half to hooker, he has not had the opportunity for a long stint in one position.

Western_Eel

Juniors
My opinion which means jack sh*t, is Robson has very limited skills, terrible kicking and passing game. However he defence is good and he knows how to action a game plan. He was very important to our success in 2009. And maybe he may improve in 2010. But picking a player especially a half back because of defence will hurt any side.

Lets not forget Kris was picked in front of Robson, after Robson was given first chance at half after Finch left. Kris was starting to show some form at half before his injury. As much as Robson and Mortimer were the halfs that led us the GF can anyone honestly say that Mateo and Keating would not have done the same and maybe performed better.

Anyhow I am a keating fan however I think Robson should be given first chance at half with Kris at 14. But I think by round 10 Kris will be starting in the half's

I wonder what form Kris would show if he had the opportunity Mortimer / Robson has had, over half a season playing in the half's . Kris has been moved from 5/8 to half to hooker, he has not had the opportunity for a long stint in one position.
Everybody Knows you should pick defense over attack any day, and you should NEVER change a winning team, from what i remember we only won when Robson was on the field (i know we won other games but they were sh*t wins), he might not stand out like an Andrew johns but neither does hindy but we all know what will happen when he leaves, in the end i think we will find them both playing at the same time anyway,

Redback71

First Grade
come on guys the last thing you would want to do is split up a halves combination that started to gel in 09. id play kk off the bench like we use to do with pj. marsh and dean widders. We play better with a killer dummy half off the bench.

yy_cheng

Coach
Everybody Knows you should pick defense over attack any day, and you should NEVER change a winning team, from what i remember we only won when Robson was on the field (i know we won other games but they were sh*t wins), he might not stand out like an Andrew johns but neither does hindy but we all know what will happen when he leaves, in the end i think we will find them both playing at the same time anyway,

Like how everyone also liked Wagon at 5/8th.

I don't agree with you should pick defense over attack. I am for players who complement each other like Kenny/Sterlo, Langer/Lewis, Daley/Stuart, Carroll/Lockyer.

If we had 17 Daniel Wagon's or 17 Robson's, it would be a lousy team. But mixing these players with others and each having a job to do which compliments the others is my way to go.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think luke burt would make a better half than robson..
Laugh if you will.But for me at halfbacks job is not to tackle.Whats all this crap about he a mad tackler(robson)
As far as kicking game-long short attacking robson is average and inconsistent..He cant throw a cut out ball and rarely puts a player into a hole-His vision is lousy.He played simple-How many assits did he get? MOI MOI -HAYNE and Hindy got us to the GF with mortimer playing well and everyone else chipping in......Thou after saying all that id put KK there.But id be keen to try burt in the trials in the halves...

lingard

Coach
Like how everyone also liked Wagon at 5/8th.

I don't agree with you should pick defense over attack. I am for players who complement each other like Kenny/Sterlo, Langer/Lewis, Daley/Stuart, Carroll/Lockyer.

If we had 17 Daniel Wagon's or 17 Robson's, it would be a lousy team. But mixing these players with others and each having a job to do which compliments the others is my way to go.

You`re right. And picking two small, attacking players (Keating and Mortimer) in the halves might be a big risk too. We`ll have to wait and see. I`m still interested to see if Tahu might get a run at 5/8 at some stage next year. Maybe through injuries if nothing else.

lingard

Coach
I think luke burt would make a better half than robson..
Laugh if you will.But for me at halfbacks job is not to tackle.Whats all this crap about he a mad tackler(robson)
As far as kicking game-long short attacking robson is average and inconsistent..He cant throw a cut out ball and rarely puts a player into a hole-His vision is lousy.He played simple-How many assits did he get? MOI MOI -HAYNE and Hindy got us to the GF with mortimer playing well and everyone else chipping in......Thou after saying all that id put KK there.But id be keen to try burt in the trials in the halves...

How do you account for Robson`s man of the match performance in the biggest game of the year (against Canterbury).
And you are obviously a far better judge than Warren Ryan, who rates Robson pretty highly. As for Burt at half? What else could I do but laugh?

hindy111

Post Whore
Ok everyone seems split on the halfback saga
Just curious where people rate the halves in the NRL
Mine

1 Thurston
2 Prince
3 Benji
4 Cronk
5 Mullen
6 Kimmorley
7 Soward
8 Wallace
9 Pierce
10 Barrett
11 Orford
12 Sandow
13 Walsh
14 Seymour
15 Mcrone

* tim smith + t.carney id have around 4-5 as well.....So maybe i could have Robson on par with seymour and mcrone .Am i beeing harsh? All these other halves look better to me....Id like to know who you would put Robson on par with?

parra pete

Referee
How do you account for Robson`s man of the match performance in the biggest game of the year (against Canterbury).
And you are obviously a far better judge than Warren Ryan, who rates Robson pretty highly. As for Burt at half? What else could I do but laugh?

I'm laughing too....

hindy111

Post Whore
Ha what area is robson superior? Burt has a better cut out pass-better long kicking game and can kick field goals.......What did robson do that so impressive maybe im blind: P

hindy111

Post Whore
ok robson lovers-verdict-we wont win a premiership with him.
Id rather young with potential-sorry peoples:p

yy_cheng

Coach
ok robson lovers-verdict-we wont win a premiership with him.
Id rather young with potential-sorry peoples:p
I'm not a robson fan but I don't dislike him.

What robbo does real well is defend and links to his outside men real well and quick.

He knows he is no hayne, mateo, tahu but he knows they are out there and he gets the ball to them early.

When Finch was around, he held it way too long. The outside defenders would get up on Finch's outside men and so, Finch had nowhere to go. So he dummied and went himself.

Robbo hardly ever got caught like that. He got the ball out to the men who needed it.

However, we do miss a player with an accurate attacking kicking game both short and long.

If someone can step up there, we could really take this title.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
burt had a go at halfback when kris keating broke his jaw, showed us why he can't play halfback, has no idea about directing the ball and taking first receiver

parra pete

Referee
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Burt is a winger. You don't weaken a strength to strengthen a weakness.

Ron Jeremy

Coach

exactly, burt was laughed at fullback through his horrible performances - no coincidence that the first moment burt was given less responsibilities (wing) we started winning - well i think everyone knows that.