What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Starting Halves - Mortimer, Keating & Robson

Jeff Robson or Tim Smith ?

• J.Robson

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • T.Smith

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

ouchie

Juniors
6. Mortimer
7. K.Keating

or

6.Mortimer
7.Tim Smith =D ( bring him back ! )

robson should get dumped!

ouchie

Juniors
imo, jeff robson is only gd at defence which a halfback does not always have to be good at, as halfbacks carry the side during offense, robson does not show any sign of the leadership during attack. ( eg. lockyer )

He is a very poor kicker, he is bad at creating or set people into gaps, and i seriously dont know why on earth he would be playing as our halfback when halfbacks arent meant to at least show some gd signs of these skills ( kicking & passing).

Therefore i really think robson was a very waste of money in signing him back when he doesnt even fulfill his role as a halfback.

I believe the best option would be to use the money into signing tim smith back as he is a very talented and experienced player . ( known for his great kicking & passing game )

do you agree?

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
*sigh* This might be hard for you to take, but Tim Smith has signed a deal for a feeder club for the Brisbane Broncos..

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26360126-5003409,00.html

Jeff Robson has signed a 2 year contract with Parramatta....

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26185097-5016286,00.html

And Paul Osbourne (the clubs CEO) has said that Parramatta wont be signing Tim Smith...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,25833873-5003409,00.html

lucablight

First Grade
I was of the opinion that we should sign Tim smith rather than Robson as well but the club has made their choice and we have to accept that. Only time will tell if it was the correct decision.

Eelementary

Post Whore
imo, jeff robson is only gd at defence which a halfback does not always have to be good at, as halfbacks carry the side during offense, robson does not show any sign of the leadership during attack. ( eg. lockyer )

He is a very poor kicker, he is bad at creating or set people into gaps, and i seriously dont know why on earth he would be playing as our halfback when halfbacks arent meant to at least show some gd signs of these skills ( kicking & passing).

Therefore i really think robson was a very waste of money in signing him back when he doesnt even fulfill his role as a halfback.

I believe the best option would be to use the money into signing tim smith back as he is a very talented and experienced player . ( known for his great kicking & passing game )

do you agree?

...To regurgitate the words of the great man himself....You're a fool.

Last edited:

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
When will people get over Tim Smith? His done his gone let's move on. Robson is such a bad half yet we went on and made the GF go figure.

Glenn

First Grade
*sigh* This might be hard for you to take, but Tim Smith has signed a deal for a feeder club for the Brisbane Broncos..

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26360126-5003409,00.html

Jeff Robson has signed a 2 year contract with Parramatta....

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26185097-5016286,00.html

And Paul Osbourne (the clubs CEO) has said that Parramatta wont be signing Tim Smith...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,25833873-5003409,00.html

Tezza, facts have no place in a Tim Smith thread. :BDH:

The Colonel

Immortal

do you agree?

Schools out for summer.....

lingard

Coach
Sorry Lingard but the Broncos of yester-year is the only team that I can remember when the halves did not dominate the kicking game (lockyer took most of the kicks with Ikin and Berrigan in the halves).
It is the halfback or 5-8 role (mainly the halfback but some dominate 5-8 do this aswell) to provide a kicking game and to direct play. If they cant do this then they are just a weak link in defence. Orford who is considered to have a very bad kicking game has twice the kicking game of Robson, only Finch has a worse kicking game then he does.

KK was chosen over Robson when he was fit and was getting better IMO, Robson was lucky to have the support or someone like Hayne and a firing pack who offloaded the ball and while he improved I still think KK is 10 times better.

IMO KK has a better kicking, passing and running game while robson is better in defence (but KK is still very good in defence for someone his size). Robson was found out in the big games and it took Mateo to bring us back into the game in the GF.

I think Robson will do wonders in helping develop our halves but atm Mortimer and KK have to start in the 6 and 7.

Well, I disagree with you, but that`s okay. If Robson was 'found out in the big games', how come he got man of the match award in the preliminary final? That was a VERY BIG GAME. If you mean the grand final, I think the whole team underplayed their hand in the first half. Repeatedly kicking to Turner was obviously a pre-arranged tactic, as both Robson and Mortimer kept doing it. And they weren`t terrible kicks either. If Turner had faltered early, we would be saying that they were great kicks and that Robson had a great game.
My point is that, if we can find other alternatives - eg: Hayne, Burt, Mateo, Matt Keating, to take the kicks, it`s okay to have Robson and Mortimer in the halves. OR: perhaps Robson will work on his kicking game in the off-season. And I don`t share your enthusiasm about K. Keating as a kicker - I think his brother is potentially a better kicker actually.

hindy111

Post Whore
M.Keating is IMO the best kicker in the team and if he can take 3 a game and hayne 3-4 a game than would be good.They both get a lot more distnace than morts and robo

caylo

Bench
Well, I disagree with you, but that`s okay. If Robson was 'found out in the big games', how come he got man of the match award in the preliminary final? That was a VERY BIG GAME. If you mean the grand final, I think the whole team underplayed their hand in the first half. Repeatedly kicking to Turner was obviously a pre-arranged tactic, as both Robson and Mortimer kept doing it. And they weren`t terrible kicks either. If Turner had faltered early, we would be saying that they were great kicks and that Robson had a great game.
My point is that, if we can find other alternatives - eg: Hayne, Burt, Mateo, Matt Keating, to take the kicks, it`s okay to have Robson and Mortimer in the halves. OR: perhaps Robson will work on his kicking game in the off-season. And I don`t share your enthusiasm about K. Keating as a kicker - I think his brother is potentially a better kicker actually.

Im not saying Robson isnt a big game player, rather in the grand final Haynes kicking game was not as good as it had been all year and Robson or Mortimer arnt players that can take charge and take over kicking duties.

KK kicked well all year esp in his long kicking game and he could be relied on, Robson cant be relied on IMO.

To me a halfbacks role is to control the kicking game first and for most and KK is better then Robson in that department. Hayne and Mateo have alot of flair but they dont play structured footy, we still need someone who can be relied on to direct play on and off the ball while Hayne and Mateo do what they do best. Mortimer is good for moments of glory but atm he does not run the team, KK has proved that he is good at directing the team and allowing the natural games of players like Hayne, Mateo, Fui and Inu to shine. Just because Robson took us to the grand finals I dont think that should secure his spot to start next year, it should be his responsibility to earn the #7 jersey in the trails over KK.

Raudonikis

Juniors
Im not saying Robson isnt a big game player, rather in the grand final Haynes kicking game was not as good as it had been all year and Robson or Mortimer arnt players that can take charge and take over kicking duties.

KK kicked well all year esp in his long kicking game and he could be relied on, Robson cant be relied on IMO.

To me a halfbacks role is to control the kicking game first and for most and KK is better then Robson in that department. Hayne and Mateo have alot of flair but they dont play structured footy, we still need someone who can be relied on to direct play on and off the ball while Hayne and Mateo do what they do best. Mortimer is good for moments of glory but atm he does not run the team, KK has proved that he is good at directing the team and allowing the natural games of players like Hayne, Mateo, Fui and Inu to shine. Just because Robson took us to the grand finals I dont think that should secure his spot to start next year, it should be his responsibility to earn the #7 jersey in the trails over KK.[/QUOTE]

or just maybe Mortimer.

lingard

Coach

To me a halfbacks role is to control the kicking game first and for most and KK is better then Robson in that department. Hayne and Mateo have alot of flair but they dont play structured footy, we still need someone who can be relied on to direct play on and off the ball while Hayne and Mateo do what they do best. Mortimer is good for moments of glory but atm he does not run the team, KK has proved that he is good at directing the team and allowing the natural games of players like Hayne, Mateo, Fui and Inu to shine. Just because Robson took us to the grand finals I dont think that should secure his spot to start next year, it should be his responsibility to earn the #7 jersey in the trails over KK.[/QUOTE]

or just maybe Mortimer.

Raudonikis, if Mortimer did play half, do you think Robson could conceivably play as a defensive 5/8?