What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Week 1: v Cowboys. What's your team?

We're only 3 months off. Guess now's as good a time as any to name your team for Round 1, 2010. Taking players that are fit now, obviously. And still in Broncos colours would be a good start.

1. Hodges
2. Winterstein
3. Folau
4. Kemp
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Kenny
9. McCullough
10. Anderson
11. Sims
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Setu
15. Te'o
16. Ahern
17. B Hunt

Your thoughts?

Don't really know about that 16 and 17. Liable to change about 18 times between now and March.

Smiley

Bench
Kemp isn't a Centre, I know Winterstein played all his juniors at centre and he partnered Folau at Marsden High so I would play him at centre instead of Kemp.
Thats if they decide to go with Hodges at Fullback but I'm thinking Hoffman will get first go.
Forward pack writes itself although I could see Glenn at Lock and Parker in the second row.

Hunt would be better off playing 80 mins of QLD Cup at Halfback then 15 mins off the bench playing Hooker.
Playing him off the bench will aid us in resigning him but won't help his development.
I can see him playing for the Cowboys in 2011 as a replacement for Thurston.

1. Hoffman
2. Winterstein
3. Folau
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Kenny
9. McCullough
10. Anderson
11. Thaiday
12. Sims
13. Parker

14. Te'o
15. Setu
16. Hala
17. Glenn

PS. Just a tad early I would have at least waited till Jan 1.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
1.Denan Kemp
2.Antonio Winterstein
3.Israel Folau
4.Justin Hodges
5.Jharal Yow Yeh
6.Darren Lockyer
7.Peter Wallace
8.Nick Kenny
9.Andrew McCullough
10.Ashton Sims
11.Sam Thaiday
12.Corey Parker
13.Alex Glenn

14.Lagi Setu
15.Ben Te'o
16.Josh McGuire
17.David Hala

I am a big fan of Kemp and rate him highly and have plenty of confidence that he will unleash in 2010 therefore he gets the #1 for me. The rest of the back 2-7 picks itself really. I have high hopes for Ashton in 2010 and he finished his 2009 season strongly playing front row therefore he gets the vacant #10 jersey for me. Glenn has a massive future as we all know and I think he deserves to be in the starting 13, therefore he takes the vacant backrow spot left by Taylor. Setu and Te'o have talent but they need to stand up and show it on a consistent basis otherwise they will lose their spots to our youngsters. McGuire and Hala I rate as extremely good front row prospects. McGuire has the aggression and mongrel whilst Hala has the size and explosive strength. They are both types of players that we have been lacking.

I think the trials will have a massive effect on this team, more so than ever before.

Last edited:

Alfie

Juniors
1. Gerard BEALE
2. Denan KEMP
3. Israel FOLAU
4. Justin HODGES
5. Jharal YOW YEH
6. Darren LOCKYER
7. Peter WALLACE
8. Josh MCGUIRE
9. Andrew MCCULLOUGH
10. Nick KENNY
11. Sam THAIDAY
12. Ashton SIMS
13. Corey PARKER

14. Alex GLENN
15. Lagi SETU
16. David HALA
17. Scott ANDERSON

Talanexor

Juniors
As a Cows fan, this is the team I'm most worried about:

1. Justin HODGES
2. Denan KEMP
3. Israel FOLAU
4. Alex GLENN
5. Jharal YOW YEH
6. Darren LOCKYER
7. Peter WALLACE
8. Josh MCGUIRE
9. Andrew MCCULLOUGH
10. Nick KENNY
11. Sam THAIDAY
12. Ashton SIMS
13. Corey PARKER

14. Tim SMITH/Ben HUNT
15. Lagi SETU
16. David HALA
17. Scott ANDERSON

Hodges is the only dangerous fullback you have (except maybe Lockyer, if the rumours are true...?)

Not sure what Neil Henry has in mind, but this is the team I would pick for the Cowboys

1. Shannon Gallant
2. Ty Williams
3. Luke O'Donnell
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Anthony Watts
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Matt Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Steve Rapira
13. Steve Southern

14. Ray Thompson/Grant Rovelli
15. Leeson Ah Mau
16. Isaak Ah Mau
17. Carl Webb

Yeah, you guys are in real trouble...

Broncos fan!

Juniors
This is the cowboys team that I would be most scared of:

1.Shannon Gallant
2.Ash Graham/Donald Malone/that U20s player... Cant think of his name
3.Luke O'Donnell
4.Willie Tonga
5.John Williams
6.Ray Thompson
7.Johnathan Thurston
8.Matt Scott
9.Aaron Payne
10.James Tamou
11.Scott Bolton
12.Steve Rapira
13.Steve Southern

14.Anthony Watts
15.Carl Webb
16.Leeson/Isaak Ah Mau
17.Dane Hogan

For the record I don't think O'Donnell should be a centre permanently. Having two strong defensive players in the centres will combat Hodges and Folau to an extent though. Their other centre options, Graham and Malone are bad defenders/inexperienced and could be made a fool out of by Hodges.

Timmah6991

Juniors
1. Darren Lockyer
2. Antonio Winterstein
3. Israel Folau
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Tim Smith
7. Peter Wallace
8. Scott Anderson
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Nick Kenny
11. Rohan Ahern
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Alex Glenn
15. Josh McGuire
16. David Hala
17. Ashton Sims

Timmah6991

Juniors
For the record I don't think O'Donnell should be a centre permanently. Having two strong defensive players in the centres will combat Hodges and Folau to an extent though. Their other centre options, Graham and Malone are bad defenders/inexperienced and could be made a fool out of by Hodges.

Regardless of who the Centres are, that's still gonna happen.;-)

Big Pete

Referee
What I expect to see...

Brisbane Broncos
1. Josh Hoffman
2. Antonio Winterstein
3. Israel Folau
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Scott Anderson
11. Ben Te'o
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Lagi Setu
15. Ashton Sims
16. Josh McGuire
17. Alex Glenn

North Queensland Cowboys
1. Shannon Gallant
2. Obe Geia
3. Ash Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Grant Rovelli
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Carl Webb
9. Aaron Payne
10. Mat Scott
11. Steve Southern
12. Scott Bolton
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Anthony Watts
15. Steve Rapira
16. Manaese Manoakafoa
17. James Tamou

user_nat

Coach
As a Cows fan, this is the team I'm most worried about:

1. Justin HODGES
2. Denan KEMP
3. Israel FOLAU
4. Alex GLENN
5. Jharal YOW YEH
6. Darren LOCKYER
7. Peter WALLACE
8. Josh MCGUIRE
9. Andrew MCCULLOUGH
10. Nick KENNY
11. Sam THAIDAY
12. Ashton SIMS
13. Corey PARKER

14. Tim SMITH/Ben HUNT
15. Lagi SETU
16. David HALA
17. Scott ANDERSON

I like this team.
Except maybe the bench, but then I don't know what I would rather see.

Dazzat

First Grade
I agree with Big Pete's team ... that's what we should expect barring injuries or absolutely outstanding performances in the trials.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Maguire starts and Anderson comes off the bench so we have at least one 'experienced' prop on the park at one time.

Also, I'd like to see Kemp play on one wing before the year's end ... possibly replacing Winterstein who I think is solid, but lacks of the flare and outright pace of Kemp.

Talanexor

Juniors
I like this team.
Except maybe the bench, but then I don't know what I would rather see.

Me neither. Forward depth is a real problem area for the Broncos.

I don't particularly like O'Donnell in the centres permanently for the Cowboys, but all our other options are much much worse. When we were at our peak (2004/2005) we had Paul Bowman and Josh Hannay in the centres, and neither of them were really considered strike weapons. But Matt Sing and Ty Williams (before the injury)....to have quality wingers like that again...

Only Willie Tonga and to a lesser extent John Williams are guaranteed spots in the Cowboys backline. I really hope someone else stands up this year and cements a spot there, because we struggled to score points in the latter half of 2009.

Dazzat

First Grade
Me neither. Forward depth is a real problem area for the Broncos.

I don't particularly like O'Donnell in the centres permanently for the Cowboys, but all our other options are much much worse. When we were at our peak (2004/2005) we had Paul Bowman and Josh Hannay in the centres, and neither of them were really considered strike weapons. But Matt Sing and Ty Williams (before the injury)....to have quality wingers like that again...

Only Willie Tonga and to a lesser extent John Williams are guaranteed spots in the Cowboys backline. I really hope someone else stands up this year and cements a spot there, because we struggled to score points in the latter half of 2009.

It seems the Cowboys and Broncos share opposite problems ... the Cows have an abundance of forwards (particularly props) and a lack of depth in the backs. The Broncos have an abundance of backs and a lack of depth in the forwards.

Surely we can come to some agreement.

I have a suggestion. We'll swap Denan Kemp for Matt Scott.

beads6

First Grade
It seems the Cowboys and Broncos share opposite problems ... the Cows have an abundance of forwards (particularly props) and a lack of depth in the backs. The Broncos have an abundance of backs and a lack of depth in the forwards.

Surely we can come to some agreement.

I have a suggestion. We'll swap Denan Kemp for Matt Scott.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Denan Kemp is destined for greatness! The number 1 jersey will look great on him at the Broncos.:lol:

Broncos fan!

Juniors
This is the cowboys team that I would be most scared of:

1.Shannon Gallant
2.Ash Graham/Donald Malone/that U20s player... Cant think of his name
3.Luke O'Donnell
4.Willie Tonga
5.John Williams
6.Ray Thompson
7.Johnathan Thurston
8.Matt Scott
9.Aaron Payne
10.James Tamou
11.Scott Bolton
12.Steve Rapira
13.Steve Southern

14.Anthony Watts
15.Carl Webb
16.Leeson/Isaak Ah Mau
17.Dane Hogan

Obe Geia is the one I was trying to think of. I like the look of him, plus Neil Henry has wrapped him and said he is training really well and is up there for a first grade spot.

Dazzat

First Grade
Obe Geia is the one I was trying to think of. I like the look of him, plus Neil Henry has wrapped him and said he is training really well and is up there for a first grade spot.

As sure as someone with a name like "Yow Yeh" should make a top flashy winger, a guy called Obe Geia should be a champion surely!

beads6

First Grade
The Cowboys seem to destroy young wingers though, Thurston runs them into the touchline too often!

Talanexor

Juniors
The Cowboys seem to destroy young wingers though, Thurston runs them into the touchline too often!

We need to find some decent wingers from somewhere. I wasn't that impressed with Geia the last time I saw him play, but that was over a year ago. hopefully he's developed a lot since then.

And Matt Scott is all ours!

Dazzat

First Grade
We need to find some decent wingers from somewhere. I wasn't that impressed with Geia the last time I saw him play, but that was over a year ago. hopefully he's developed a lot since then.

And Matt Scott is all ours!

Matt Scott is class and will be Australia's No. 1 prop in two years time.

Buck

Juniors
Here what I'd like to see

1.Denan Kemp
2.Antonio Winterstein
3.Israel Folau
4.Justin Hodges
5.Jharal Yow Yeh
6.Darren Lockyer
7.Peter Wallace
8.Nick Kenny
9.Andrew McCullough