What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 FOUR NATIONS Round 1: Australia -V- Great Britain

Jesbass

First Grade
Forum 7s - 4 Nations - 2011
AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS -V- GREAT BRITAIN & IRELAND LIONS
logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg
-v-
british-map-100x100.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams:
* 3 -V- 3 (+ 2 reserves for both teams)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

Kick Off: Sunday 30th October 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Saturday 5th November 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: gUt
Venue: ANZ Stadium​

sydneyolympicstadium1_wideweb__470x314,0.jpg

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg

Azkatro for the Kangaroos.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Invincibles and the damage done

"Ohhhh and what power.. what size.. as he handed off number 4, Les Dyl. And Mal Meninga, this huge, burly Queensland centre puts Australia in the lead by 5 points to 2."

These were the words of legendary English rugby league commentator Ray French on the moment that international rugby league changed dramatically. It was the first Test of the 1982 Ashes series being played at Boothferry Park. The Kangaroos hit the lead for the first time in the 21st minute of the match and now, almost thirty years on, England still hasn't caught up. On that particular day the visitors would go on to win 40 points to 4, with virtually none of the crowd leaving early so they could witness the revolutionary athleticism and style of play that was on show.

The majority of French's commentary during that series carried a sense of lament. While the English game faltered, Australia entered the series on the back of 10 consecutive Test wins. Despite criticism over selections it was the start of a golden era for the Kangaroos, with future legends such as Mal Meninga, Wayne Pearce, Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny and Wally Lewis all touring for the first time, it only took a few tour games for the local media to really come to grips with the sheer quality the side contained. Before they insisted it was only their fitness that would be superior to Great Britain. Now they realised Australia had them covered in the skill department as well.

The tour started out somewhat inauspiciously at the old Craven Park ground which is now the site of a Morrisons supermarket complex. After 40 minutes, Hull Kingston Rovers led the Aussies 8 points to 5 following a number of incidents. Only 11 Kangaroos players were left on the field to go the sheds at half time. Whatever coach Frank Stanton said to them at half time must have worked, as the second half saw Australia coast to a 30-10 win. Many of the 15 games played in Britain followed a similar pattern - a lacklustre first half following by a blitz in the second.

Following a scrappy match against Wigan in which Australia employed the thankfully outdated tactic of kicking duels, the tourists went on to amass 92 points in their next three matches, conceding no tries and just 6 points via penalty goals.

They followed that with a 37-7 win against Wales in Cardiff, and then the 40-4 hammering over Great Britain in the first Test. After that was another 4 strong wins, during which over 100 points was scored and only 2 tries conceded. The Ashes were then secured with a 27-6 victory in the second Test. Victory over Widnes bridged the gap between the second and third Test, the latter of which Australia dominated with a 32-8 win.

The Kangaroos then went on to France for an unbeaten 7- match tour, including wins against a French side which defeated the 1978 tourists in a two match series.

The key to Australia's success on tour was their support play, which was a well coached consequence of their improved fitness levels. Time and again the English crowds were thrilled by passages of second, third and fourth phase play. The man with the ball always seemed to have options left and right accepting offloads at speed.

English defences simply couldn't cope with such a prolonged onslaught, which is why most of the damage was done during the second half of many games on tour. The contrast against the drudging midfield barging style of play, prevalent in English rugby league at that time, was stark.

An emergency fitness improvement campaign, run over a three-month period, did little to counter the progress made by the Australian game and players. Quite simply, a gap as wide as the Grand Canyon had opened up between the two countries and almost thirty years on, it still hasn't been bridged.

This gap will be on show again tonight at the famous Wembley Stadium when Australia takes on England in the 2011 Four Nations. England's newest hope comes in the form of Sam Tomkins, but if all England can offer is individual brilliance, Australia will match it with plenty more of their own.

With 2012 marking the 30th anniversary of "The Invincibles", I for one will be hoping it also marks the start of a revolution in the English game which results in a turning of the tide.

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Azkatro

First Grade
Sorry I've posted before being named, but full time is in three hours and I have stuff to do tonight!

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick running out for GB&I

Media Hypocrisy

In the wake of the growth of social media and the countless attempts to embellish minor scandals in the 2011 season, I’d hope many would be asking one question to our media outlets as to why they still want to bring our game down – Why?

For the most part, the 2011 season has been a success off the field for the NRL. The number of scandals has been limited with the majority of players seemingly now able to control their behaviour off the field and conduct themselves as professionals. However this professionalism does not seem to be being reciprocated by those covering the sport.

The media has the power to manipulate our thoughts and turn us against the game we so dearly love. Over the last few seasons we’ve seen scandals such as Todd Carney’s blown out of proportion along with the over-publication of the late season stoush between Manly and Melbourne. Both events should not have received half the media attention they in fact did, but due to the efforts of a few, the story escalated and went on for weeks.

The media are proving to be pivotal player in shaping a tarnished image of rugby league. Every day we hear stories of negativity. Journalists are searching for negative stories to print, more “Scandals” to uncover. However, the media don’t write a three page exposé about when Gold Coast Titans Preston Campbell was driving past the school and, after spotting a few kids playing touch, decided to jump the fence, say g'day and join the game. This was an extraordinary act of kindness on Preston’s behalf, but such an event isn’t big enough, or more appropriately negative enough to cover in a story.

The standards of journalism in Australia have plummeted in recent years with the growth of social media and the proliferation of gossip column journalism. Avenues such as Twitter have provided a breeding ground for established journalists and those trying to make a name for themselves in exposing NRL players and being the first to “break news”.

Gossip column journalism is not something limited to the NRL however, with many other sports and mainstream outlets suffering the same fate. In the NRL this type of publication has grown considerably in recent years. Whether it is the “Bec and Buzz” section of the Daily Telegraph with their weekly “revelations” or Danny Weidler’s back page spread in the Sun-Herald, this type of media is driving the industry to a place where speculation and agenda are more important than substance and research.

Nothing can highlight this concerning trend more than in recent months since the appointment of Phil Gould to the Penrith Panthers administration. Every three days there appears to be an expose into something wrong at the Panthers, mostly at the hands of the Daily Telegraphs Phil Rothfield.

Rothfield is a senior journalist at the Daily Telegraph and one who has held a grudge over Phil Gould for many years to the point where no matter what happens, Rothfield will dig to find a story and embellish. Whether it is “doodlegate” or the recent inaccuracies to his article regarding Panthers major sponsorship, Rothfield is leading the charge for inconsistency in journalism.

On the flip side and to again show his agenda, Rothfield no less than six months ago claimed that Todd Carney should be jailed. Six months later and a contract signed, sealed and delivered at Rothfields beloved Sharks, all appears forgiven and the good guy stories followed.

This inconsistency with agenda driven editorials have become common place in the media in recent years. It is unfortunately a sad reflection on our game and the state of journalism in Australia today. The saddest part of this development in the media is that they dictate the beliefs in peoples mind on world events.

When it comes to the sports heroes in the NRL, the media are constantly looking for the next scandal to bring it down. If there are very few, as we’ve seen in 2011, the media have shown the propensity to dig, claw and find anything in order to embellish to sell papers. When publications go to this length to attempt to fabricate drama instead of focussing on the good that players in the game do, it just emphasises that the media have too much influence on the game. The sad reality is, quality journalism is no longer a priority - and that is the biggest tragedy of all.

742 words

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | GB&I

The Lord Ted Enigma

1977_goodwin_1a.jpg

A brilliant attacker and rare talent, 'Lord Ted' Goodwin captured the imagination of Rugby League crowds. But his career was also dotted with battles against officialdom.

When 'Fearless' Frank Facer called one E Goodwin into his office, he knew he was signing a future superstar of the game. Frank had good reason to think so, and his credentials for picking talent were second to none. Since being elected as Club Secretary in 1956, Facer had attracted Brian Clay, Ian Walsh, John Raper, Graeme Langlands, and Rod Reddy to the Dragons. Goodwin was in good company.

Goodwin signed on the dotted line, for a career that was to begin in 1972, culminating in controversy when he and St George parted ways in 1978, the year of Frank Facer's death.

Nevertheless, Facer was right about Goodwin, and it wasn't long before his faith in the youngster was rewarded.

Born in Sydney in 1953, Ted Goodwin claims Māori ancestry through his mother. A Dapto junior, Goodwin represented Country before joining Saints and was quickly lauded as an ideal replacement for the great 'Changa' Langlands. In 1972, 'Lord Ted' Goodwin's career catapulted with rep honours, playing for New South Wales and Australia.

Goodwin played in three grand finals for St George. In the 1975 grand final, Ted came off second best following a dramatic head clash with Easts' Ian Schubert in the opening minutes. He also played in both grand finals in 1977 the first when Saints and Parramatta contested the historic drawn grand final. From fullback, Goodwin scored a miraculous try. He kicked ahead, won the race for the ball lunging forward and touching down just inside the dead ball line. Such was Ted's determination that he knocked himself out in the process. He backed up the next week and scored six goals and a field goal in Saints 22-0 victory over the hapless Eels.

Goodwin made eight appearances for NSW. For Australia, after his debut off the reserve bench in the second Test against New Zealand in 1972, he was selected on the 1973 Kangaroo tour (led by club skipper Langlands). Goodwin appeared in six tour matches, a Test match against Great Britain and two against France. Playing on the wing, Goodwin scored seven tries on the tour, including two in the first French Test.

Alas, a great career is not without controversy. After a sensational debut, Goodwin began to experience mixed form. Handling errors under the high ball. Some tabloid writers blamed it on the drink, some said it was the weight of expectation. Reportedly unhappy, Goodwin sought a release join Parramatta in 1975. Saints denied Goodwin's request. Instead, his captain-coach Changa Langlands took him aside. The man he was set to replace at full back gave Lord Ted some straight advice, namely to make decisions on the field, even if they turn out to be wrong. In basic terms, Langlands was simply telling Goodwin to back himself, regardless of the outcome.

The advice was spot on. In Changa's retirement year, Goodwin lifted. The following 1977 season saw Goodwin become an intergral part of the team that won the club's 14th first grade premiership, ironically against the club that tried to lure Ted away from the Dragons in 1975.

Goodwin played one last season with St George in 1978 before linking up with Newtown in 1979, watching as Saints won their 15th premiership without him. All but finished as a player, Goodwin was thrown a lifeline by Western Suburbs coach Roy Masters. Goodwin played in the forwards in 1980-1982 and relished the opportunity. He was later named in Wests' Team of the Eighties.

Lord Ted finished his playing days in NSW Country as captain-coach of Parkes and Forbes, leading them to three premierships in the Group 11 competition. After moving to Western Australia, he played with the Willigee Bears in 1989-90 in that state's competition.

Goodwin later became a referee in Perth and held a position as Development Officer with the WA Rugby League. He visited WA schools and was instrumental in the push to include the Western Reds in the national competition. In 2005 he returned east as a referee for junior league in Sutherland.

A favourite player, I never saw the enigma that was given editorial in the press. I only saw a dynamic player who got me on feet every time he touched the ball.

Today, the Goodwin legacy continues. Three of Ted's four sons, Luke, Bronx and Bryson, have played first grade Rugby League.

Ref |
http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/hist...players_fg.php
http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/hist...dwin_rlw_0.jpg
(Written by me)
Newspapers clippings
and Wikipedia (sources checked)

Azkatro

First Grade
Haha thanks Willow. I think you blokes had me covered out there on the pitch when you had the option of.. well, you know.. passing the ball :lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. You never know, we might have knocked on.

A spirited effort just the same.

joshie

Live Update Team
Poor effort griffo!! Your meant to be a captain, but top effort Az :)

Congrats GBI and PNG are gunning for you ;)

gUt

Coach
Please forgive my Perenara-like debut here, chaps.

Australia

Azkatro - The Invincibles and the damage done

A fluid piece documenting the famous 1982 tour of England and France by the Kangaroos. The author took me on tour with a telescope that covered a distance of 30 years and conjured images in my mind of a couple of young, future Immortals carving their name in the history books.

I am curious as to what your sources were for this piece and in their absence I can't help but think the line between facts and your opinion(s) in this piece sometimes need another coat of whitewash. Still, this article would not be out of place in any rugby league publication and I enjoyed it.

Score: 90

The irony of the last line in Az's article is not lost on me as he offloads the ball to... no one. Australia's final score is 90.

Great Britain and Ireland

Big Mick - Media Hypocrisy

The key word here is passion - simmering anger and controlled aggression like a Shane Webcke hit up. However this is no scatter-gun rant, it's a well reasoned screed. Although purely an opinion piece, any objective observer of the commercial media's treatment of rugby league in this country would be hard pressed to argue. The author used a good number of well chosen examples to back his case. I know it's not your job but I was crying out for some kind of suggestion to an answer or solution. Not easy to do in under 750 words though!

Score - 85

Willow - The Lord Ted Enigma

An fan's affectionate tribute to a past great. Any player with the word "Lord" in his nickname is surely worthy of an article or 3. The author takes us on a ride along the years of this player's career (and post-career) but avoids the trap of simply writing a list of dates and stats by occasionally shifting perspective and looking at Goodwin through the eyes of his contemporaries as well as injecting opinion. On a personal note I wondered who this player was when mentioned on the call by the likes of David Morrow - now I know!

Score - 88

The Poms have trounced the Aussie 173 to 90 but the Aussie can hold his head up high with a MOTM performance. Congrats to all on a high quality match.

Latest posts