What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NRL Draw?

IanG

Coach
Does anybody know if the draw for next year will be released like the last couple of years the week of the Grand Final? Or will it be closer to Christmas?

MsStorm

Bench
If the draw is announced grand final week again this year, it will confirm what a joke the code can be at times.

There's so much happening and lots of media hype around grand final time, we don't need the draw announced then.

Leave it until later in the year to keep rugby league in the news off-season.

_Johnsy

Referee
I can only hope that we get a "new" draw, sooner rather than later, that has each game allocated to a particular day not just the status quo with a weekend only nominated.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As far as I know it will continue to be an unscheduled draw until 2013 when the TV rights deal is renegotiated.

Danish

Referee
Lucky you included a question mark at the end of your thread title.... else you could have confused people into thinking this was a thread detailing the 2011 draw

Timmah

Staff member
In 2008, the 2009 draw was released in GF week.

In 2009, the 2010 draw was released in Prelim final week.

I dare say the pattern will continue. The concept is to "strike while the iron is hot", get people interested in next season while they're still thinking about RL and not cricket. It also allows the clubs to set up membership packages a little earlier.

docbrown

Coach
I'd rather see a combination approach used. Every club should get 5-6 home games with fixed times and dates. These would be games against traditional rivals etc that are guaranteed of a crowd and a TV audience - i.e. Bulldogs vs Eels, Roosters vs Dragons etc. These games should be announced at the start of the year so fans can make their travels plans etc and buy combination ticket/membership packages.

Then the remaining home games should be moveable so that top of the table clashes can be scheduled at the best times.

rabbitohs

Juniors
In 2008, the 2009 draw was released in GF week.

In 2009, the 2010 draw was released in Prelim final week.

I dare say the pattern will continue. The concept is to "strike while the iron is hot", get people interested in next season while they're still thinking about RL and not cricket. It also allows the clubs to set up membership packages a little earlier.

Get people interested??

Would be made a damn sight easier if there was a date for a game. Could plan 5 or 6 a season then. As it is don't go to many games as I can't take the risk of the day being a Sunday or Monday.

Bloody ridiculous system that only the NRL uses...I think in the WORLD!

carcharias

Immortal
I totally forgot all about Rugby league last summer...I blame the timing of the draw release.

Timmah

Staff member
Get people interested??

Would be made a damn sight easier if there was a date for a game. Could plan 5 or 6 a season then. As it is don't go to many games as I can't take the risk of the day being a Sunday or Monday.

Bloody ridiculous system that only the NRL uses...I think in the WORLD!

As much as I love the idea of a fully scheduled season, allow me to defend the current situation.

Imagine Round 26 had been scheduled at the start of the year.

Imagine they decided to have Melbourne v Newcastle and North Qld v Sydney as the two Friday nighters. Saints/Souths 5:30 Saturday.

Absolute disaster with scheduling. The current system allows better clashes to get TV time. It doesn't always work well, but it works most of the time.

CMUX

As much as I love the idea of a fully scheduled season, allow me to defend the current situation.

Imagine Round 26 had been scheduled at the start of the year.

Imagine they decided to have Melbourne v Newcastle and North Qld v Sydney as the two Friday nighters. Saints/Souths 5:30 Saturday.

Absolute disaster with scheduling. The current system allows better clashes to get TV time. It doesn't always work well, but it works most of the time.

Well the solution there is to have the first 20 rounds set in stone before the season starts and then the last 6 rounds are progressively announced throughout the year.

Timmah

Staff member
Sounds like a very workable solution to me. I'd actually go as far to say as (assuming the draw is 26 rounds) write the draw and schedule all rounds from 1-23 EXCEPT the three pre-Origin weekends.

That leaves six rounds to schedule, three of them being those short pre-Origin rounds where poor scheduling really has an effect. Schedule them say, four weeks before they happen.

With the remaining three rounds at the end of the season, roll them out six or so weeks out from each week, assessing where the big clashes will be and getting them right for the final rounds as happens at the moment.

Round 24 - announce before R18
Round 25 - announce before R19
Round 26 - announce before R20

Sleep

Juniors
Pfft. Even announcing the games the weeks beforehand they get it wrong and we still get stuck watching garbage teams play one another.

I'm surprised the Bulldogs/Cowboys didn't get a run in Friday night football beamed live into both states.

Timmah

Staff member
Pfft. Even announcing the games the weeks beforehand they get it wrong and we still get stuck watching garbage teams play one another.

f**king rubbish emotive bullsh*t. 9/10 times they get it right... Titans/Tigers and Raiders/Broncos is 100% right this weekend... Roosters v Manly was 100% right last Sunday... the games are mostly right, it's just the wrong ones that stick out like a sore thumb. Same with refereeing decisions. They can get 99 calls correct and it'll be the 100th one wrong, which everyone will remember.

IanG

Coach
Just if I know when and if certain fixtures are I can make plans. eg I wanna go see the Knights in Auckland. That way I can put in for annual leave during that time.

Sleep

Juniors
They got this Sunday wrong. Dragons/Souths should be the TV game. And it's definitely not 9 out of 10.

Timmah

Staff member
So they got one wrong. :roll:

They're not going to get it 100% right ever, but there's more chance of stuff ups if they plan the whole year ahead is what I'm saying...

I can only hope that we get a "new" draw, sooner rather than later, that has each game allocated to a particular day not just the status quo with a weekend only nominated.

We are dreaming...........the AFL does it, every other major sport in the world does it, but the NRL doesn't. Even when schedulling 6 weeks in advance, you still get rubbish games or games that are not as important.

Latest posts