What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NRL Draw?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Clearly. When it's released it'll be released :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That was confirmed by Osborne at a fan forum or something wasn't it? Eels will have two games at ANZ again, Souths and Dogs obvs.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
That was confirmed by Osborne at a fan forum or something wasn't it? Eels will have two games at ANZ again, Souths and Dogs obvs.

I cant remember specifically, I believe it may have been Spagnolo. But it is confirmed. Unless I heard wrong.

It will probably always be against Souths and the Dogs at ANZ for us, purely for the STH deal we have. Our ST's get us into our supporters bay for when its a Dogs and Souths home game which is a great deal. Im assuming it works both ways.

Eels Dude

Coach
We are dreaming...........the AFL does it, every other major sport in the world does it, but the NRL doesn't. Even when schedulling 6 weeks in advance, you still get rubbish games or games that are not as important.

Catch 22. Schedule all games prior to the season starting equals lesser tv deal, which equals less money for the NRL, which means we set ourselves back another 5 years. If you can think of another GUARENTEED income in the hundreds of millions of dollars worth as an alternative please elaborate.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Catch 22. Schedule all games prior to the season starting equals lesser tv deal, which equals less money for the NRL, which means we set ourselves back another 5 years. If you can think of another GUARENTEED income in the hundreds of millions of dollars worth as an alternative please elaborate.

And another catch to that, if its pre scheduled with all clubs having equal share on FTA, then sponsorship dollars for clubs will go up. Up enough to make up for the smaller grant from the NRL (which is from the TV deal) is another question.

Dr.J

Juniors

Foxtel pay the AFL twice as much money per game than the NRL, for a game which rates far worse on pay TV. And this is for a fixed schedule rather than a rolling schedule.

The key to getting good TV rights is a fair bidding process. The AFL has an open bidding process and gets top market price. With the NRL, News Limited sells the TV rights to themselves for less than half price.

Just to make matters worse, the terms of the deal favour the media company rather than the competition. No other competition in the world is happy to trash attendances and club membership with a rolling schedule, even though the broadcasters would toss this up in negotiations. We don't (yet) have an independent executive that will put what is best for the clubs ahead of what is best for TV.

Look to News Limited to try to get one more half-price 5 year TV rights deal out of their mate David Gallop before an independent commission has full control.

Molly

Juniors
Foxtel pay the AFL twice as much money per game than the NRL, for a game which rates far worse on pay TV. And this is for a fixed schedule rather than a rolling schedule.

The key to getting good TV rights is a fair bidding process. The AFL has an open bidding process and gets top market price. With the NRL, News Limited sells the TV rights to themselves for less than half price.

Just to make matters worse, the terms of the deal favour the media company rather than the competition. No other competition in the world is happy to trash attendances and club membership with a rolling schedule, even though the broadcasters would toss this up in negotiations. We don't (yet) have an independent executive that will put what is best for the clubs ahead of what is best for TV.

Look to News Limited to try to get one more half-price 5 year TV rights deal out of their mate David Gallop before an independent commission has full control.

As long as the NRL is a division of New Limited, you cannot expect too much to change

Saint Doc

Coach
I thought tigers v dragons at sfs would be logical. Plus souths/ roosters, broncos/ cowboys, perhaps Canberra at home and then whatever!!

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
Yeah Souths v Roosters only really because they seem to do it every year there's a fair chance they'll keep doing it...Storm at home probably because the AFL won't have started yet. Maybe give the Warriors a home game? Tigers could end up playing Manly again

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Christ. Hope its not Friday night. Opening game (at least in NSW) should be two Top 8 teams from the previous year. Had imagined it might be Dragons v Tigers round one

It will be what ever Channel 9 Choose, if Saints vs Parra will get the better ratings (which it will) then it will be the Friday game. Id love for a Sunday arvo game though.

Dr.J

Juniors
There is an NRL membership 2011 function tonight. Would make sense for them to announce the draw at this function, which I expect they will do

Dr.J

Juniors
There is an NRL membership 2011 function tonight. Would make sense for them to announce the draw at this function, which I expect they will do

Would also make sense for them to give the exact dates of all matches which I expect they won't do!

skeepe

Immortal
I thought tigers v dragons at sfs would be logical. Plus souths/ roosters, broncos/ cowboys, perhaps Canberra at home and then whatever!!

Canberra at home in round 1 hasn't happened since 2000, what makes you think they'll start now?

Latest posts