What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Super League results & crowds

hutch

First Grade
Round 1

Millenium Magic - Day 1 (crowd 30891)
- Huddersfield 28 v Warrington Wolves 18
- Harlequins RL 11 v Catalans Dragons 4
- Castleford 40 v Wakefield 20
- Wigan 16 v St Helens 16

Millenium Magic - Day 2 (crowd 29323)
- Crusaders 42 v Salford City 12
- Leeds 32 v Bradford 28
- Hull KR 34 v Hull FC 22

Total crowd - 60214

hutch

First Grade
Round 2

- Hull FC 18 v Leeds 32 (12513)

- Salford 22 v St Helens 56 (5929)

- Castleford 18 v Huddersfield 12 (5992)

- Catalans 14 v Wakefield 38 (7500)

- Bradford 10 v Wigan 44 (15348)

- Harlequins 20 v Crusaders 18 (1766)

- Warrington 24 v Hull KR 22 (10889)

good crowd at bradford, but what a woeful crowd in london for harlequins. im all for a london club although maybe not one that shares a union name, but something needs to be done if they cant even get 2k through the gate no matter who they are playing! thought there might be a few more for the first games at warrington and hull!

Teddyboy

First Grade
I think Super League needs to start a month later and London will never get the crowds for a Supper League team sadly.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think Super League needs to start a month later and London will never get the crowds for a Supper League team sadly.

If Melbourne can get 20k for NRL, London should be able to get 10k. They need a couple of star players and some sustained success...which probably means they need a rich guy/company backing them.

VictoryFC

Bench
If Melbourne can get 20k for NRL, London should be able to get 10k. They need a couple of star players and some sustained success...which probably means they need a rich guy/company backing them.

Two things:

a) NRL has much more credibility in Australia than SL does in England. Apart from being huge in 2 of the 3 most populous states, it also gets media attention in Melbourne. SL doesn't get the same national media attention, especially in London, on the level NRL does here.

b) Melbourne's stadiums are centrally located. London's stadiums are regional, reducing potential for attracting fans from all over the place.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Harlequins will never get crowds in their current guise. If the club had a proper home with little local sporting competition and the opportunity to market themselves properly, then they could easily get respectable to good crowds. Unfortunately there's nowhere suitable for them at the moment in London, so they are stuck playing second fiddle to the most recognisable Union side in one of the biggest Union heartlands, literally in the shadow of Twickenham stadium.

RedVee

First Grade
Harlequins will never get crowds in their current guise. If the club had a proper home with little local sporting competition and the opportunity to market themselves properly, then they could easily get respectable to good crowds. Unfortunately there's nowhere suitable for them at the moment in London, so they are stuck playing second fiddle to the most recognisable Union side in one of the biggest Union heartlands, literally in the shadow of Twickenham stadium.

At the risk of repeating myself, I will agree with you going from my cousins example. As soon as the London team became Quins, they stopped going to the RL and swear that they will never attend whilst ever that remains the status quo.

DINGb@T

Juniors
They also need to start winning and give people a reason to want to support them. From what I can tell they're a fairly abysmal team to support. They have a nasty habit of losing at home and they dont seem to have done well in either the Challenge Cup or the regular league. Have they even reached the semi finals before?

Lambretta

First Grade
That Castleford game against the Giants was a cracker.

If they keep putting in performances like that, chocked full of local youngsters, the crowds at the Jungle would have to double.

Teddyboy

First Grade
They also need to start winning and give people a reason to want to support them. From what I can tell they're a fairly abysmal team to support. They have a nasty habit of losing at home and they dont seem to have done well in either the Challenge Cup or the regular league. Have they even reached the semi finals before?
They reached the final in 1999 and were beaten by Leeds.

Surely they need to do something. Bring a friend for free day, Bussing in Ausies something

Dont have the answers not living there but would think they could at least get back to 3 or 4k average with some fresh ideas.

I realise targeting Aussies isnt a long term solution but when you only get 1.7K you need some bums on seats quick.

Is twickenham any where near any of the areas that Aussies/Kiwis tend to live in?

paulmac

Juniors
Why not use the RU to their advantage and offer to play in double header with the rah-rahs?To my thinking Leeds would be the best bet as they play in the Zurich premiership(or whatever they call it over there now).May get some of the earlybirds to see the light and come more often.

paulmac

Juniors
Surely they need to do something. Bring a friend for free day, Bussing in Ausies something

Dont have the answers not living there but would think they could at least get back to 3 or 4k average with some fresh ideas.

I realise targeting Aussies isnt a long term solution but when you only get 1.7K you need some bums on seats quick.

Is twickenham any where near any of the areas that Aussies/Kiwis tend to live in?
Most Aussies live in West London but Twickenham is miles out.Craven Cottage or Loftus Road are more central to where the Aussies/Kiwis live.I was speaking with someone on the coaching staff at quins and he said that the club will go back to being known as the Broncos next year.

Evil Homer

Staff member
St Helens 18-25 Warrington at Widnes.
Leeds 26-36 Harlequins.

Rob Powell now 3 from 3 and Harlequins go top of the table.

Last edited:

JasonE

Bench
St Helens 18-25 Warrington at Widnes.
Leeds 26-36 Harlequins.

Rob Powell now 3 from 3 and Harlequins go top of the table.

Absolutely delighted for Quins and Rob Powell, also worth noting is Quins under 20's beat Leeds 36-10.

Hope Luke Gale continues to improve, England need more players coming through in the halves.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Absolutely delighted for Quins and Rob Powell, also worth noting is Quins under 20's beat Leeds 36-10.

Hope Luke Gale continues to improve, England need more players coming through in the halves.
Gale was man of the match again and has now scored 4 tries in three games.

Coastbloke

Bench
'Quins seem to be on fire..Good on 'em..

Looks like my ESL team (Catalans) aren't going to improve this year..When RLW says your key player is a 38yo has-been, you're in trouble..

Latest posts