What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frailty

First Grade
Primary/Secondary/Alternate would work as well.

• Primary and secondary must be contrasting jerseys and alternate shorts/socks if required.
  • In a 22 round season primary to be worn most games, secondary worn no less than 5 games, no more than 10, alternate worn no more than twice/year but not designated to a specific round
  • Secondary or alternate worn when there are obvious clashes (Roosters/Cowboys, Storm/Knights, Raiders/Sharks are examples, Broncos/Eels, Bulldogs/Dragons would both wear their primary jerseys under my interpretation), preferably by away team.
  • Alternate jersey can be either a heritage jersey, charity (including WiL, indigenous, general charities, ANZAC) or a members jersey (Warriors Greenstone would qualify under this category), no commercial interests jersey would be allowed in the season proper. One-off sponsorships (2/season) would mean that clubs could kill two birds with one stone and have a members jersey with a charity sponsor if they want.
  • If the alternate is a heritage jersey, it should mimic the actual jersey they are tributing, including shorts and socks. No artistic license is to be taken in this case (just copy the bloody design!)
  • Special rounds such as WiL, MiL, Indig., ANZAC would be represented by either a modified NRL patch or an additional patch above the NRL logo. Eg. a poppy or slouch hat on ANZAC round, to be consistent among all clubs.
  • Sponsors on middle chest below club/NRL logo (not too high), sleeves, back below number, none on shorts. Player name where back above number sponsor currently is.

What?!

GAZF

First Grade

I wrote this in a rush. Dogs/Dragons was a poor example, though staunch supporters would want them both play in white. Sharks and Raiders have a similar colour luminosity (as do the Eels yellow,Tigers orange and the old Titans blue). Sharks vs Knights would be fine since they have different luminosities.

Teams like the Raiders and Sharks would have a secondary jersey of a darker colour as opposed to white, maybe not so much the Raiders since they now have a darker green.

docbrown

Coach
Primary/Secondary/Alternate would work as well.

• Primary and secondary must be contrasting jerseys and alternate shorts/socks if required.
  • In a 22 round season primary to be worn most games, secondary worn no less than 5 games, no more than 10, alternate worn no more than twice/year but not designated to a specific round
  • Secondary or alternate worn when there are obvious clashes (Roosters/Cowboys, Storm/Knights, Raiders/Sharks are examples, Broncos/Eels, Bulldogs/Dragons would both wear their primary jerseys under my interpretation), preferably by away team.
  • Alternate jersey can be either a heritage jersey, charity (including WiL, indigenous, general charities, ANZAC) or a members jersey (Warriors Greenstone would qualify under this category), no commercial interests jersey would be allowed in the season proper. One-off sponsorships (2/season) would mean that clubs could kill two birds with one stone and have a members jersey with a charity sponsor if they want.
  • If the alternate is a heritage jersey, it should mimic the actual jersey they are tributing, including shorts and socks. No artistic license is to be taken in this case (just copy the bloody design!)
  • Special rounds such as WiL, MiL, Indig., ANZAC would be represented by either a modified NRL patch or an additional patch above the NRL logo. Eg. a poppy or slouch hat on ANZAC round, to be consistent among all clubs.
  • Sponsors on middle chest below club/NRL logo (not too high), sleeves, back below number, none on shorts. Player name where back above number sponsor currently is.

Okay this was kind of what I was trying to get at too but you've said it much more eloquently - but maybe just to be even clearer with terminology -PRIMARY, CLASH, SPECIAL.

So maybe -

Primary & Clash - 5 years
Special - can change every year but only 1 type per year

If this were the system I'd be interested in seeing a proposed list for each club.

nqcowboy87

Bench
what about the guy who plays one game of first grade in the year do they just waste that jersey on him, i think the numbering system is fine

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
what about the guy who plays one game of first grade in the year do they just waste that jersey on him, i think the numbering system is fine

:?

Every player would choose their squad number at the start of the season, and they'd all likely get 2-3 jerseys produced each for the year.

100%green

Juniors
F*** me what a over reaction to jerseys!!!!

For a start I'm not saying teams should have unlimited jerseys but if they want to have:
Home
Away
Heritage
Pink &
Charity
Then who cares!!!! Who do we only have to have 2 or 3?
It give people who have different tastes a chance to buy their team in different colors or designs. Not to mention its more in the teams bottom line from merchandise sales.

I do think that uniform numbers and names would look better on all jerseys.

The sponsor situation needs fixing as well. Cause the Eels are now made by the NRL and have that sponsor where the manufacture logo would be, the knights and Souths are doing it. It needs to be uniformed.

applesauce

Bench
No need for pink jerseys.

Wear pink socks. If two teams want to wear pink have one in pink socks and one in pink shorts.

FMD this pink jersey shit is getting out of hand. We don't need to rape the identity of our teams for charity, sponsors, merch sales etc.

The NFL do it much better by having pink accents socks, boots, towels, off field merch in pressconferences (hats), ball, field markers etc.

nfl_breast_cancer1_m.jpg

Breast+Cancer+Football+Photo.jpg

rex-rayn-pink-hat-200x200.png

nfl.pink.jpg

pink_nfl_field_logo1.jpg

docbrown

Coach

For a start I'm not saying teams should have unlimited jerseys but if they want to have:
Home
Away
Heritage
Pink &
Charity
It give people who have different tastes a chance to buy their team in different colors or designs. Not to mention its more in the teams bottom line from merchandise sales.

The sponsor situation needs fixing as well. Cause the Eels are now made by the NRL and have that sponsor where the manufacture logo would be, the knights and Souths are doing it. It needs to be uniformed.

If you can't tune into a random game and immediately recognise the teams playing by their jerseys then you've got a brand recognition problem.

100%green

Juniors
If you can't tune into a random game and immediately recognise the teams playing by their jerseys then you've got a brand recognition problem.

If that's the case your either new to the game and still learning, a casual fan or you just shouldn't follow the game cause you've got no idea what's going on.

Team branding and marketing is valuable I agree. But for the sake of maybe 3 games a year (heritage, women in leauge and charity) the clubs branding is not going to fly out the window. Most of the year teams should wear the home and away jerseys.

GAZF

First Grade

Home
Away
Heritage
Pink &
Charity

To me, the clubs would have two jerseys per season with heritage strips used every 5 years to mark an anniversary (not going to happen, obviously). You're on the other side of the fence, wanting clubs to have the freedom to use multiple one-offs. 3 strips a year is a compromise of our opinions.

Agree on less sponsors and uniform numbering (that impact font that the Raiders, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Sea-Eagles and Warriors use is garbage).

If that's the case your either new to the game and still learning, a casual fan or you just shouldn't follow the game cause you've got no idea what's going on.

Teams consistently coming out in their own colours is important in attracting new fans, 5 different uniforms a season does not familiarise a new fan with a team and comes across as extremely amateurish.

Team branding and marketing is valuable I agree. But for the sake of maybe 3 games a year (heritage, women in leauge and charity) the clubs branding is not going to fly out the window. Most of the year teams should wear the home and away jerseys.

I want to see my team running out in lime green as much as possible, not pink or camo. All of these one-offs do fragment a club's brand and the growth in numbers of these jerseys in the last few years has been alarming; it will only get worse unless regulated. This thread would be half as long if it weren't for the complaints about the crap thats come out this year.

Fashion jerseys that aren't used on field is an opportunity that hasn't been exploited in the NRL, clubs could release jerseys not intended for the field in whatever colours they want. Merch sales improve without the selling out of the on-field product.

No need for pink jerseys.

Wear pink socks. If two teams want to wear pink have one in pink socks and one in pink shorts.

FMD this pink jersey shit is getting out of hand. We don't need to rape the identity of our teams for charity, sponsors, merch sales etc.

The NFL do it much better by having pink accents socks, boots, towels, off field merch in pressconferences (hats), ball, field markers etc.

nfl_breast_cancer1_m.jpg

Breast+Cancer+Football+Photo.jpg

rex-rayn-pink-hat-200x200.png

nfl.pink.jpg

pink_nfl_field_logo1.jpg

Opinions obviously vary, but that sort of stuff is seen as sacrilege amongst sports fans in the US.

docbrown

Coach

Aren't those new fans the ones we want to attract? :-k
I'd say making the game as easy to follow as possible is a good thing.

When a person thinks of a club, the colours should pop straight into their mind. There are certain clubs now who struggle to do this even with their home jerseys.

I'm not saying ban these special jerseys outright. But the strongest thing the clubs have to promote themselves are their symbols. A location, a mascot, their colours etc. For each club those should ring true, even to any newcomer to the game.

It seems to me that the 'Special' jersey is the artistic wall space. It has a logical need to set itself apart from the original jersey, so let that be the one to promote special causes.

And yes 4 jerseys for 1 club in 1 year is too many. 3 is a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
Aren't those new fans the ones we want to attract? :-k
I'd say making the game as easy to follow as possible is a good thing.

When a person thinks of a club, the colours should pop straight into their mind. There are certain clubs now who struggle to do this even with their home jerseys.

I'm not saying ban these special jerseys outright. But the strongest thing the clubs have to promote themselves are their symbols. A location, a mascot, their colours etc. For each club those should ring true, even to any newcomer to the game.

It seems to me that the 'Special' jersey is the artistic wall space. It has a logical need to set itself apart from the original jersey, so let that be the one to promote special causes.

And yes 4 jerseys for 1 club in 1 year is too many. 3 is a reasonable compromise.

Bang on. The NRL doesn't just cater to diehard fans, newcomers and casual fans are a large part of the audience and strong branding goes a long way in keeping them interested.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i thinkteams should have four jerseys
home
away
heritage
charity

the first three are standard and would be available in rebel sports and what not, the third charity one would be for anything your team picks, whether it be celebrating indigneous australia, breast cancer, or a psecifically designed jersey for a charity like that one the broncos wore for the cancer council a few years back and theyre would only be a limited amount of them made say a 100 plus the 17-18 made for game day and these would be auctioned of or for sale through the clubs site at a greater price for the serious collector. also have the heritage round a bit for structured as to really celebrate the rich history of this game.

GAZF

First Grade
i thinkteams should have four jerseys
home
away
heritage
charity

the first three are standard and would be available in rebel sports and what not, the third charity one would be for anything your team picks, whether it be celebrating indigneous australia, breast cancer, or a psecifically designed jersey for a charity like that one the broncos wore for the cancer council a few years back and theyre would only be a limited amount of them made say a 100 plus the 17-18 made for game day and these would be auctioned of or for sale through the clubs site at a greater price for the serious collector. also have the heritage round a bit for structured as to really celebrate the rich history of this game.

Although I don't agree, its a pretty fair proposal. I would have the heritage and charity jerseys worn only once a year each or we end up with 4 or more games not in regular season gear. 2 heritage/1 charity would be the absolute limit that I would find reasonable (1/8 of the regular season).

And have all proceeds of the charity jersey go directly to the charity. No money to be gained by the club, manufacturer or the NRL (this is already the case for game worn jerseys but not so for merchandise).

I think the NRL should move away from the single heritage round model. Trying to fit eight fair matchups into a single round is impossible and teams such as the Raiders, Storm, Cowboys and Warriors get screwed over most years. Maybe spread the games over a four round window so that teams get an ideal matchup as a home game (2 rounds of heritage jumpers comes into play here). Clubs could nominate 3/4 teams before the draw is decided and the NRL would work at fitting at least one appropriate home fixture per club over the 4 weeks.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think the NRL should move away from the single heritage round model. Trying to fit eight fair matchups into a single round is impossible and teams such as the Raiders, Storm, Cowboys and Warriors get screwed over most years. Maybe spread the games over a four round window so that teams get an ideal matchup as a home game (2 rounds of heritage jumpers comes into play here). Clubs could nominate 3/4 teams before the draw is decided and the NRL would work at fitting at least one appropriate home fixture per club over the 4 weeks.

Couldn't agree less.

Easy heritage round:

Broncos v Knights (88)
Raiders v Tigers (89 GF)
Bulldogs v Dragons (70's/80's GFs)
Sharks v Panthers (67)
Titans v Storm (2 newest clubs)
Manly v Eels (47)
Cowboys v Warriors (95)
Roosters v Rabbitohs (08)

It's utterly easy to achieve but stupid requests and silly scheduling mean we never get a proper heritage round.

GAZF

First Grade
Couldn't agree less.

Easy heritage round:

Broncos v Knights (88)
Raiders v Tigers (89 GF)
Bulldogs v Dragons (70's/80's GFs)
Sharks v Panthers (67)
Titans v Storm (2 newest clubs)
Manly v Eels (47)
Cowboys v Warriors (95)
Roosters v Rabbitohs (08)

It's utterly easy to achieve but stupid requests and silly scheduling mean we never get a proper heritage round.

Titans and Storm are kind of lumped in together in that arrangement but that would be the most ideal situation for a single round. I'm sure fans like to see different matchups year by year with appropriate jerseys.

Broncos vs Knights/Titans (as Giants)
Bulldogs vs Dragons/Eels
Cowboys vs Warriors/Reds
Dragons vs Bulldogs/Raiders (as Steelers)/Storm
Eels vs Manly/Bulldogs
Knights vs Broncos/Manly
Panthers vs Sharks/Raiders
Rabbitohs vs Roosters/Tigers (as Balmain and Wests)
etc...

Lots of history missed if the same fixture is used yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.