What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Side

mxlegend99

Referee
It's a travesty if Gordon plays on the wing IMO
Agreed 100%.

He should be fullback. It's his best position and he's by far the best fullback at the club. If we're going to weaken that position to keep Coote at fullback, we have to atleast make sure Gordon is at centre where he is closer to the action and he atleast gets to stiffen our defence up while he's seeing half the ball he should.

Panfas

Juniors
Based on current form and injuries and personal opinion:

1. Gordon
2. Simmons
3. Jennings
4. Tighe
5. Earl
6. Burns
7. Walsh
8. Grant
9. Kingston
10. McKendry
11. Newton
12. Lewis
13. Austin

14. Ciraldo
15. Weston
16. Armit
17. Coote
18. Seluini
Either Coote or Seluini for last bench spot

abpanther

Staff member
To me, Coote is like Burns, they either start or they're not in the top 17, they offer no impact off the bench.

No way in the world that Austin unseats Lewis at lock.

I'm thinking something like this

1. Coote
2. Simmons
3. Jennings
4. Gordon
5. Earl
6. Burns
7. Walsh
8. Grant
9. Kingston
10. McKendry
11. Newton
12. Smith
13. Lewis

Bench
14. Seluini
15. Weston
16. Armit
17. Austin

From an outsiders point of view.

1. Lachlan Coote (His positional play in attack is similar to Merritt's he may not have a power running game but he is always lurking in a time of need both defensively and in attack)

2. David Simmons (He's a hard worker and one of those no fuss types, He may not be instrumental in what he does but he'll rarely let you guys down)

3. Michael Gordon (Defensively isn't all that great but I think it's the only option if he wasn't to play fullback as someone said he is a bit wasted on the edge)

4. Michael Jennings (Obvious Choice)

5. Sandor Earl (Good Finisher)

6. Harry Seijka (Good Young Talent, Obviously may not be that productive to throw him in but I think expanding the go to options will provide more of a dimension to your attack especially with Burns at Lock)

7. Luke Walsh (Best option and just re-signed for three years so they are putting faith in him, Will take a ton of pressure off Seijka as well as Travis Burns filling in on a last play option)

8. Tim Grant (Obvious)

9. Kevin Kingston (Has upped his weight class in Defense and he is your best hooker option by a mile)

10. Sam McKendry (Obvious)

11. Nathan Smith (Defensive workhorse)

12. Luke Lewis [c] (All Rounder, Hole Runner, Defender, Ball player. I think it's important to provide plenty of variety within the forward pack).

13. Travis Burns (Ball-Player Good defender and I think he'll provide another ball playing option, Though may not play 80 minutes. Quality wise will take the pain away from the loss of Nigel Plum albeit different type of player)

14. Danny Galea (Hard hitter, very good player for a short amount of minutes, Will stiffen up the defense later on. Also option to substitute Burns and then later bring Seijka off moving Travis to 6).

15. Clint Newton (There is always one experienced player you need on the bench and I think he will provide a good impact as well as adding another defender to the starting pack later in the game when the ruck might be loosening).

16. Blake Austin (Has been going well in the trials so I've heard)

17. Dayne Weston (Haven't seen alot of him but all you guys have him in the team so I will run with it)

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
3. Michael Gordon (Defensively isn't all that great but I think it's the only option if he wasn't to play fullback as someone said he is a bit wasted on the edge)

Huh?

That's one of his biggest strengths, his consistency in defense is fantastic

Panfas

Juniors
Is Coote carrying an injury or getting over one? going by trial form he wont make the team at this stage unless he is on the bench

Pikosaurus

Juniors
I am shocked by the lack of love for Ciraldo. You guys don't know what kind of player you have there? A forward with a kicking game. He put on one and almost 2 tries in the trial? He also will make 40+ tackles a game.

He lost favour at the Knights because Houston returned which is understandable, and the Knights had too much back row depth. Funny how Paterson left though, it can't have been because of the depth problem because he went to the Cowboys that have 6 starting quality back rowers lol. But Ciraldo he is a worthy starter and with Plum out you have to start him.

Big Mick

Referee
I am shocked by the lack of love for Ciraldo. You guys don't know what kind of player you have there? A forward with a kicking game. He put on one and almost 2 tries in the trial? He also will make 40+ tackles a game.

He lost favour at the Knights because Houston returned which is understandable, and the Knights had too much back row depth. Funny how Paterson left though, it can't have been because of the depth problem because he went to the Cowboys that have 6 starting quality back rowers lol. But Ciraldo he is a worthy starter and with Plum out you have to start him.

He'll likely get a spot on the bench but who are you going to drop?

I think it is likely that he'll take Seluini's spot.

Judging from the fact that Sandor Earl & Nafe Seluini both played for windsor last week I'm going to say this will be the line up:

1. Coote, 2. Gordon, 3. Jennings, 4. Tighe, 5. Simmons, 6. Burns, 7. Walsh, 8. Grant, 9. Kingston, 10. McKendry, 11. Newton, 12. Smith, 13. Lewis
RES: 14. Weston, 15. Armit, 16. Ciraldo, 17. Austin, 18. Daniella, 19. Sene-Lafao, 20. Seluini (3 to be omitted)

goosie

Juniors
depends on injuries, gordon will play centre in round 1 if tighe or jennings don't pass fitness test.

goosie

Juniors
1.coote
2.deniella
3.jennings
4.gordon
5.simmonds

that is what i am going with for round 1

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm a huge fan of Lewis but a backrow of Lewis, Smith and Newton doesn't instill much confidence.

Still don't know what to think about Gordon. At his best at fullback he looks damn well near as dangerous as a fullback can look. Then again when you have a player like Coote signed you don't want to waste him if Gordon can play elsewhere. Certainly a tough choice.

mxlegend99

Referee
If Gordon is on the wing it would be an absolute joke. I can handle him in the centres to cover injuries to Jennings and/or Tighe. It's actually a legitimate reason for moving our best player from his best position.

But if Gordon is stuck on the wing with inferior players in the fullback and centre positions it will be absolutely stupid. He's our best player and from fullback he's good for 100+ metres more then Coote and what he could do on the wing. The sad thing is that it's not even an exaggeration. Ontop of those 100 extra metres he makes at fullback, the replacement wingers are just as effective at metres as he is on the wing... meaning we're losing ground by moving him.

Michael Gordon is the best back at the club by a fair stretch... he's the most consistent by miles and his form since 2010 has been so far ahead of the others it's insane. You don't leave the best back on the wing. He deserves to play fullback or to cover for injuries in the centres.

mxlegend99

Referee
I hope so. It's just ridiculous seeing fringe first graders picked ahead of him in the centres. He's then stuck trying to bail them out all game defensively, and suffers from the lack of decent delivery from them.

At fullback he atleast gets kick returns with room to move, and in the centres he SHOULD see a bit more ball with space. You would atleast hope that Cleary addressed that huge weakness from our halves. I've seen talk of Walsh not needing to get his hands on the ball so much, Coote being encouraged to do a bit of playmaking, the ball to be spread deeper earlier and so on. So if that stuff comes off then atleast in the centres he should have the room to move and get a bit more ball. But we're going to lose his kick returns if he isn't at fullback, and that right there pretty much insures we're going to start most sets of six off in worse field position.

Latest posts