What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**2013 fresh start**

I think BMM and Pettybourne could had some starch to the backrow especially in attack, but i am not totally convinced on how reliable their defence is.Thompson by other reports is aggressive, maybe he can add some mongrel to our pack that's been lacking.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
What do people think about taking Blair from the backrow and putting him in the prop rotation role. That could free up a backrow spot. For who though? Could Ayshford / Utai go into backrow?

Tiger05

First Grade
I agree, the backrow is a real issue and Anasta was really not needed, now we are stuck with him for two years.

My hope is that Potter can get Blair to pull his socks up. Unless someone comes up straight from 20s and kills it, that's the best we are going to get, I'm afraid.

The backrow is a major concern. I think playing Blair at prop has to be a consideration.

Its moments like this that Blair really pisses me off. He has been a nothing player and we are now carrying him in the backrow.

As for Anasta. I think he is a good player but where do you play him. I don't see him as an option in the backrow because we need impact. Maybe he will slot in there and maybe Blair will start to perform but I don't think it will happen consistently over the season.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The backrow is a major concern. I think playing Blair at prop has to be a consideration.

Its moments like this that Blair really pisses me off. He has been a nothing player and we are now carrying him in the backrow.

As for Anasta. I think he is a good player but where do you play him. I don't see him as an option in the backrow because we need impact. Maybe he will slot in there and maybe Blair will start to perform but I don't think it will happen consistently over the season.

This is where we miss the promise of Dwyer or the ruggedness of Ellis. Both gone and not replaced. Blair was supposed to fill the void but sure hasnt so far. Thats why I'd push him to rotation prop as well and free up a spot for a backrower to supplement Fulton and Anasta. I think we need Anasta at present for his kicking game and ability to stabilise the team as an 'old head'. Backrow is where we can fit Anasta. Blair may just have to go to prop to earn his money (or be released if he doesnt like it).

Well its up to Potter,he has to stamp his authority of what he wants and expects from all players, if not we will have the same element of cronyism that destabilised the club repeating itself.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Thought I'd throw in a curveball here:

IF Miller were to go to England, who would we put as halfback? Could Anasta be relied on to fill this role?

If Anasta were to, who would we then put at lock?

super_coach

First Grade

IF Miller were to go to England, who would we put as halfback? Could Anasta be relied on to fill this role?

If Anasta were to, who would we then put at lock?

Miller is under contract for 2013 and the club has already said they will block any requests for a release. Although in saying that their is always a chance he will not come up to scratch or get a injury. I still think they may try Moltzen again at no7. If he has resigned he would be on fair money so you dont usually play a big contracted player in reserve grade. Not saying I agree with it but I know that will be probably the thinking

Magpies Forever

Juniors

If Anasta were to, who would we then put at lock?[/QUO

1/2- anyone except Benji. Miller will hopefully stay as it seems Prince is going to ESL. Chisholm and Huble already gone. That leaves only Moltzen as fallback. Not keen on thought of Anasta at 1/2 without seeing him play there. Maybe next season he could fill in there sometimes during matches to get some experience to provide further backup but I see him being more useful in the backrow.

Lock- Bell did well there. Why not use him if needed?

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
We havent had much in the press since Potter took the gig, but we have had two decent quotes:

1. He rates Miller
2. Anasta signed as a half, but can play lock.

Next year Im expecting this, which is a great start:

6 Marshall
7 Miller
13 Anasta

Bench
We havent had much in the press since Potter took the gig, but we have had two decent quotes:

1. He rates Miller

6 Marshall
7 Miller
13 Anasta
That would be my pick,hope its Potters too.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's funny how worried we still are about positional selections. We forget that we were run by a madman for 10 years. 99% of coaches actually pick a halfback at halfback, a fullback at fullback and so on. I really doubt we'll ever have to put up with ayshford, Fulton or Lawrence inthe halves again. I suppose it will take a few years for fans to get over the mental scaring though...

1. He rates Miller

6 Marshall
7 Miller
13 Anasta

That is what anyone would do, except a coach trying to manufacture a halfback out of a player who clearly isn't one.

It's a quality spine. I think the best thing about having Braith is that if Benji is going for hero plays while we're 4 points up with 5 to go you can hook him and have Braith steer the team home. Sheens never did that to Marshall and one of those plays ended up costing us a semi final.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's a quality spine. I think the best thing about having Braith is that if Benji is going for hero plays while we're 4 points up with 5 to go you can hook him and have Braith steer the team home. Sheens never did that to Marshall and one of those plays ended up costing us a semi final.

i agree

i actually think anasta could be a great signing (then again i thought blair would be too)

he is big, aggressive, experienced and loves winning. he is a leader who wont be afraid to tell benji he is a fckwit if he does something stupid and will demand the ball over him if he wants it. i know if we're up by 2 in a semi final with 3 minutes to go who id rather had the ball in their hands..