What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 over??

joondalup_giant

Staff member
im sceptical about the sg ball side idea if they can get the player's then i believe it will b better 4 the game here then havin forkin out all this money 4 a side in a third rate comp...

b0rt

Juniors
they have no money. most of the players are owed like half a season in payments.
paying for the other teams to come over has killed us.
dunno about how official them being over is but there have been rumors for a while now

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
they have no money. most of the players are owed like half a season in payments.
paying for the other teams to come over has killed us.
dunno about how official them being over is but there have been rumors for a while now

This is where common decency comes into play.

As recent as three weeks ago, we spoke in regards to setting up a supporters group - which they were aware would cost me in the vicinity of $500-$750. If they knew of their position then (which, clearly they must have); then they should have had the common decency to mention something at that stage. If they had too much pride to admit the exact situation, there were other ways they could have discouraged the spend. The rest of it I can accept, but this recent oversight has directly cost me, in something they could have clearly enabled me to avoid.

I do, however, feel for the players if they - too - are still owed half of their own payments. Because, that is quite simply ridiculous.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't see under 18's wanting to travel to Sydney every other week and where is the $300k travel costs going to come from?

Reality is we could probably cover the cost of running the Reds (around $150k) but not the travel (around $300k). They should have had an agreement with the ARL from day one that they would agre to pick up all travel costs for the Reds and opposition teams.

the NRL could have helped out by underwriting two NRL games a year in Perth to the tune of $150k each and let the WARL pocket the profits from hosting the games.

There is not much credit to anyone involved in this sadly. But this is RL so what can we expect???

Bluebags1908

Juniors
ok there not gone completely, they will field a side in the sg ball comp (national under 18's) an official media release will b made monday. It will b interestin 2 see where they get the player's from as junior's in the warl from 16 and up are almost none existant....

I'm gutted to hear the WA Reds might not be in the Bundy Cup in 2010, but with the news that they might put a team in SG Ball then perhaps there is a method to the madness.

Think about it - there's only a certain amount of ARL $$ to go around, so would you rather spend it on a senior team in a 3rd tier comp with players aged in mid-20's that have little hope of making the NRL? Or would you rather spend it on an under 18's side that will give born-and bred WA players a pathway and a better chance of making it to the NRL?

If the WA Reds are admitted to the NRL in 2013, then the timing of this under 18's team is just perfect as it might mean the WA Reds will re-enter the NRL with some born and bred WA players, and that will give the WA Reds an enormous amount of mileage and creditability with the WA public.

Also it will mean the WA Reds SG Ball side will be up against "name" NRL clubs at under 18's level, which might make more people in WA sit up and take notice if they are up against Parramatta, Souths, Manly, St. George, Canberra, Melbourne, Canterbury Bulldogs, etc.

The SG Ball comp is also a short 8-10 week season so they will save on travel costs, and the players will not need to be paid as much as a senior team, if at all. After the SG Ball comp is over the WA Reds players then will go back to playing in the local senior WA comp for the rest of the year similar to what the Sydney players do they go back to their local junior comps (or get promoted to Under 20's Toyota Cup).

And maybe after the SG Ball team enters a team in 2010 they will then enter a team in the Harold Matthews under 16's comp in future? The Storm started out with a team in SG Ball first and then entered a Harold Matthews team for the first time this year. And Northern Territory has done something similar by entering Under 16's and Under 18's teams in the equivalent Queensland age comps.

Perhaps the WA Reds should put a team in the local WA comp so maintain a senior side?

Last edited:

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
I can certainly see the value with the development side of things , as the most lacking aspect of Rugby League in WA (in my opinion), is the unavailability of a clear developmental pathway into the higher echelon of competition. Players in WA are rarely recognised over east, and rarely given the exposure to compete in a manner which produces opportunity.

Regardless, I remain unconvinced that this move is necessarily beneficial to the 2013 bid, considering the removal of the senior side, in a senior competition. We will just have to wait and see on this one. Additionally, the secrecy and immediacy of the decision seems a little abrupt and hard to digest .... it was a little sudden, and very unexpected.

I'm quite pleased that it will assist the development of rugby league in the local competitions. Though, it's the belief that it may have weakened our bid for the 2013 expansion that has me at odds.

Fingers crossed things continue to develop well, and that we don't lose any credibility through-out the following due-process.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst I hope that the SG ball is a success and that we can develop some good kids it will do nothing to help us develop the fan and corporate base for our future NRL team. In some ways the fan base is not such an issue as we know there are around 15,000 people in Perth who will watch them when they are in the NRL but the corproate base needs alot of work.

Time will tell. Of course in the ideal world the ARL would be supporting the SG Ball side and the NRL the BR side!

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
If the NRL were serious about a Perth team then they wouldn't allow this to happen. It is as simple as that as far as I am concerned.
It is the big picture that needs to be looked at, which is why the SG Ball scheme isn't a bad idea in my opinion, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the senior team.

I am hardly an expert on the state of WA rugby league, so I'll leave my comments at that. But suffice to say it looks like another short-sighted decision by the ARL and NRL not to step in. Time will tell.

Latest posts