What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Trials

Frederick

Staff member
Going to make this a sticky for discussion through to the start of the season.

If anyone cares, our NSW cup team made up of nobodies was hammered by the eels, 46-10

Last edited:

bellyache

Bench
Going to make this a sticky for discussion through to the start of the season.

If anyone cares, our NSW cup team made up of nobodies was hammered by the eels, 46-10
Besides Matua, the Eels played there nuffies. Looks like the Eels have some good youngns to call upon...

aqua_duck

Coach
The eels played their fringe 1st graders, there was something like 300 1st grade games experience in their team. I don't think we had any 1st graders in our team

Tom155

Coach
The eels played their fringe 1st graders, there was something like 300 1st grade games experience in their team. I don't think we had any 1st graders in our team
according to fox sports news pete was the only one in the side with 1st grade experience

Whats Doing

Bench
This was listed team.

1. Peter Mata’utia
2. Josh Mantellato
3. Dale Clacherty
4. Michael Mate
5. Chanel Mata’utia
6. Tyler Randell
7. Adrian Davis
8. Dylan Smith
9. Chad Redman
10. Ben Tupou
11. Nathan Clarke
12. Kailem Perkins
13. Dylan Hartin
Interchange
14. Simon Allen
15. Patrick Murphy
16. Thomas Lidden
17. Jacob Sinclair
18. Luke Turner
19. Brenton Horwood
20. Daniel Phillips
21. James Coote

Not sure whether Pete played but the team was made up of nobodies.

More details are on the Parra forum from people at the game but apparently there was a big difference in fitness which would indicate a large no. from outside the knights contracted players.

how can this be considered a trial if none of our FG team played??? . Looks like Wayne will use the Allstars game (Tahu, Aku, Willie) and the next few trial games to give our guys some match fitness.. Will probably divide the team up so everyone gets atleast 1 game.

Spoke to Stone after the game. He said the top squad will play both the Coffs and Tamworth trials, or at least all the FG players will play SOME part of them, depending in how much Bennett wants to use them. And of course injuries are a factor too.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I would have been pissed if I had gone along to today's trial. May as well watch the local comp if neither side involved takes it seriously.

Serc

First Grade
I think this was always supposed to be a NSW Cup style trial - sure Parra put in a couple of better players but if you look at their lineup it was still a fringe FG side at best.

I'll be going to the Coffs trial so will report back on that one :)

natheel

Coach
Reason we had fringe first graders was co guys like Kelly and smith etc were called into fg last year to cover injuries. Otherwise they would still be wenty players. Reni played coz he can't play next 2

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol trials mean next to nothing. They are played under different conditions with an obvious lack of commitment. Players don't go into them with a competitive mindset

Let Parra have their little victory

perverse

Referee
I doubt that many of their own fans even care about the result. They're gumbies if they do. You don't get competition points for trials, I'm afraid... especially ones in which barely a single bloke has played first grade. Trials are exercises in testing combinations, proving/improving fitness and giving youth a go on the field... winning isn't really a factor aside from a tad of confidence/momentum from your last 1 or 2 in rolling into the season.

Frederick

Staff member
Geez Willie looks fit. Expecting big things from him this year.

Aku and timana haven't touched the ball yet

Rolla

Juniors
Tahu looks bigger to me as well. He is starting at Lock so we will see how that goes.

It will be good to see Willie in the backrow too.

Trials are a waste of time. It is for young blokes to show the coach what they have got. No first graders guaranteed of their spot should go anywhere near them. A first grader worth a pinch of shit does not need a trial to get their game on. The lack of enthusiasm by regulars in trials says it all.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Knights name 30-man squad for Souths trial

By Brett Keeble

KNIGHTS coach Wayne Bennett has named a 30-man squad for their NRL trial against 2012 semi-finalists South Sydney at Coffs Harbour on Saturday night.

The Newcastle squad is:

Chris Adams, Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan, Adam Cuthbertson, David Fa’alogo, Marvin Filipo, Mitchell Frei, Dane Gagai, Matt Hilder, Chris Houston, Kurt Gidley (c), Willie Mason, Chanel Mata’utia, Pat Mata’utia, Peter Mata’utia, Alex McKinnon, Jarrod Mullen, Kevin Naiqama, Anthony Quinn, Tyrone Roberts, Robbie Rochow, Beau Scott, Korbin Sims, Jeremy Smith, Will Smith, Kade Snowden, Timana Tahu, Zane Tetevano, Aku Uate, Travis Waddell.
LINK

Latest posts