What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Trials

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Barker's review of the game above is very good.

@Beads. Yes I think it is ok to be a bit worried about this season. My feeling before the game is that we should have dealt with the Titans rather easily, especially given their almost rookie halves pairing. However, the second half was promising. If we didn't play absolutely terrible in the first half (seriously was about the worst half of football I have seen from the Broncs) then we probably would have won comfortably. You're right though, we need certain youngsters to step up to the next level. One of those has to be whoever is going to partner Prince in the halves. The other is going to have to come from Kahu/Kemp/Berryman/Maranta. The other concern is that we are a bit light in the prop department.

@CB. There is no doubt the ball would have been wet, there were showers during the day and one during the game. But the field was in very good condition. It does not fully explain the amount of dropped ball we had. I would have rated the players the following way:

3. Hoffman
2. Gillett
1. Prince

Prince could be higher if he got more game time.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Barker's review of the game above is very good.

@Beads. Yes I think it is ok to be a bit worried about this season. My feeling before the game is that we should have dealt with the Titans rather easily, especially given their almost rookie halves pairing. However, the second half was promising. If we didn't play absolutely terrible in the first half (seriously was about the worst half of football I have seen from the Broncs) then we probably would have won comfortably. You're right though, we need certain youngsters to step up to the next level. One of those has to be whoever is going to partner Prince in the halves. The other is going to have to come from Kahu/Kemp/Berryman/Maranta. The other concern is that we are a bit light in the prop department.

@CB. There is no doubt the ball would have been wet, there were showers during the day and one during the game. But the field was in very good condition. It does not fully explain the amount of dropped ball we had. I would have rated the players the following way:

3. Hoffman
2. Gillett
1. Prince

Prince could be higher if he got more game time.
definitely liking that hoffman and gillett seem to be on their way back up. we need them to fire this season, when they fire, we seem to play well.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
definitely liking that hoffman and gillett seem to be on their way back up. we need them to fire this season, when they fire, we seem to play well.

Yep we need Hoffman (or somebody) firing from the back. Without a strong spine we won't do anything this, or any other year.

McCullough goes pretty good at hooker and we have support with Baptiste or Hunt (if need be) and between Hunt, Norman, Prince and Wallace, we MUST be able to find a pretty good front-line halves combo, meaning fullback is where we need to find something.

Hoffman if he steps up and maintains performance throughout the season can do it. If not, we have options with Hodges and Norman if need be.

I'm not worried about the trials as any kind of indicator about the season ahead. We've lost to the Cowboys and Titans on goal-kicking alone, when most of our stars aren't there.

The full team, completely fit now that those with long term injuries have had them corrected through surgery and with addition of Prince and probably Kemp on the left wing now (some pace out wide) will look completely different.

The team named for the Warriors game should be interesting as the last full hit-out before the season proper starts...

Snappy

Coach
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...against-warriors/story-e6frep5x-1226581351383

Scott Prince on bench for Broncos trial against Warriors
News Limited Network
February 19, 2013 4:37PM

SCOTT Prince has been named on the bench for the Brisbane Broncos' final trial - against the Warriors in Dunedin on Saturday.

With halfback aspirant Prince named as a reserve, Corey Norman and Peter Wallace have been handed starting roles in the Broncos halves.

Captain Sam Thaiday, making his return from shoulder surgery, will also start off the bench.

Broncos: Josh Hoffman, Delroy Berryman, Justin Hodges, Jordan Kahu, Lachlan Maranta, Corey Norman, Peter Wallace, Ben Hannant, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Alex Glenn, Matt Gillett, Corey Parker.
Interchange: Scott Prince, Sam Thaiday, Ben Hunt, David Stagg, Mitchell Dodds, Scott Anderson, Jack Reed, Joe Bond.

b4l

Juniors
Good to see Dane's good mate Leroy get another shot. He would be the quickest over the 100 in the top squad.

b4l

Juniors
Dane's other good mate JB is on the bench. Curious to see what his role will be during the season.
Interesting enough he play his junior as a halfback. Maybe he's our answer to the black Alfie from the Eels.

ggmu

Juniors
Yeah that wont be the starting side come round 1. Im just happy to have the boys back on tv this at night.

beads6

First Grade
I'm not sure what to make of Prince being on the bench. Is it giving one last chance to Norman and Wallace combo to convince Hook they should be the halves or is it what the plan is. TBH I think we will need to let someone go unless we play Norman at fullback or bulk him up to be a centre/backrower. We already have Hunt rotting on the bench who I think would be a bloody handy 7 for other clubs who need one.

Big Pete

Referee
CM is under the impression that Prince has the jersey sown up, it's just about giving Norman or Wallace the chance to impress and stake their claim for the 6 jersey.

I think having Thaiday & Reed on the bench confirms that the starting side isn't necessarily the side Hook is going to roll with.

Still, there are some puzzling decisions. I don't really mind though, I just can't wait to see mah Broncos in action.

beads6

First Grade
Given it is their first hit out for the year that was the reason I thought Thaiday and Reed were on the bench. They are both coming back from surgery. It will be interesting to see what Hook has up his sleeve. I hope he hits some winners because we need them.

Big Pete

Referee
Could be a case by case thing but it's also Macca's first hit out and he's starting.

Regardless, I'm keen to see how we go. Despite our concerns with the backs, I still think there's a lot to like about this squad.

Latest posts