What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Playing Roster

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe keep him around in a coaching capacity, in the same way Melbourne are trying to cheat the cap (again) with Cameron Smith.

Which reminds me. I wonder if Dave Smith has blocked me on Twitter.

Chipmunk

Coach
According to the official NRL season guide this is the top 25 for the year

Allgood
Gower
Harrison
Hayne
Hopoate
Hunt
Kelly
Loko
Lussick
Mannah
Moimoi
Morgan
Mossop
Norman
Junior Paulo
Joseph Paulo
Peats
Sandow
Santi
Sio
Smith
Tanginoa
Terepo
Tonga
Toutai

Edwards, Faraimo, Foran, Ma'afu, Ma'u, Pewhairangi and Radradra are listed as being part of our extended squad outside the top 25. Pritchard and Pauli Pauli are still listed as being part of the NYC squad.

So my question here is what happens if we use alot of players outside of the Top 25 again? Doesnt that have Salary Cap issues? Surely 3 of that 6 listed outisde of the Top 25 they're looking at for NRL? Arthur has almost said Radradra will be first winger picked

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It seems to be that clubs have no problem using five of their second tier players. After that they have to aks for dispensation from the NRL. The rise in the second tier cap will increase the number of second tier players clubs can use, unless the top 25 minimum salary has also gone up (which would increase the salaries of the highest paid second tier players).

Either way, you can start the season with the maximum number (previously five) of second tier players in your top 17 if you want. But the more you use early in the season the quicker your second tier cap fills up, and the less flexibility you have later in the season when you might need reinforcements.

Gronk

Staff member
Second Tier went up BTW.

The NRL today announced changes to the 2014 Salary Cap to help clubs which suffer heavy injury tolls during the season.

A fair and transparent appeals process will also be put in place this year to adjudicate on contested decisions relating to the salary cap.

The ARL Commission has approved the changes, which will come into force for the 2014 season, following recommendations by the Salary Cap Review.

The "second tier" salary cap will be increased from $375,000 to $440,000.

This means the second tier will now rise proportionately with the increases in the Top 25 for the life of the CBA.

NRL Chief Operating Officer Jim Doyle said this will give clubs more flexibility to bring in players outside their top roster to overcome losses through injury, form or terminations.

He said several clubs were prevented from using promising young players towards the end of last year's premiership because of the second tier cap.

"That was never the aim of the second tier cap," he said.

"It is there to ensure clubs do not spend more than they can afford to remain competitive.

"We believe that raising the cap to $440,000 is appropriate – it protects the clubs but gives them more flexibility if they lose players during the season.

"The clubs should now have the capacity to manage their second tier."

Mr Doyle said an independent salary cap arbitrator would also be appointed to resolve any disputes relating to rulings from the Salary Cap Auditor.

He said a permanent oversight panel, comprising senior NRL executives, would also be established to continually review the way the salary cap is operating.

The changes have the approval of the Rugby League Players Association.

Further recommendations from the Salary Cap Review, relating to reforms for 2015 and beyond, will be considered by the Commission next month.
http://www.nrl.com/second-tier-salary-cap-changes-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/76497/default.aspx
http://www.nrl.com/second-tier-salary-cap-changes-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/76497/default.aspx

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Harrison is in the top 25. He mightn't be in the top 17 but he is certainly part of the NRL squad, and will doubtless play some first grade this year.

Foran will have been signed as a backup for first grade as well, and is a good chance of playing some NRL through the year.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I actually don't think Harrison is that terrible. Yeah not an explosive player, but thought he was pretty good defensively last year, and showed he had a nice offload as well. I would definitely give him another go.

Most teams use 30 players in a season. Harrison is definitely in our top 30.

So if we use 10 wingers/centres like we have for the past few years that means a second rower will get run purely because he is in our top 30?

That said, I'm one of the few that thinks that Harrison has something to offer, but I don't think it's doubtless that he'll play purely because he's top 25/30.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I thought heaps of our players would go better but Sticky was more interested in pushing them out than coaching them.

Even though i didn't rate him much then, Sticky didn't even give him a chance in FG until after halfway through the year. In saying that, he did not impress me much while playing for Wenty, and after his FG efforts mu opionion was even less. I saw him do one of the dumbest things ive seen in a while in a game of footy. Ill write it up when this dose of Endone im on has worn off.

Latest posts