What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Playing Roster

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
edwards outside the top 25 doesnt sound right!

Didn't look right to me either, but not completely outlandish. He only played one NRL game, and he might have a large match payments component, meaning he could count outside the top 25 even if he earns $200k.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
About time we had an official top 25. Only surprise there is really Santi being among our 25 highest paid players without having played first grade, and I presume Edwards is still on his initial low level contract and is yet to have an upgrade following his first grade debut?

I remember reading that the Tigers wanted to keep Santi, and were surprised we offered him top 25. That's the only way we were able to take him off them.

Delboy

First Grade
ED, I attended the season launch this evening , all the players including those outside the so called top 25 were introduced, except for Foran I don't believe he was at the function .

Enjoyable, Pauli Pauli and Ken Edwards took to the stage and delivered a fantastic singing performance, great voices

Sterlo gave a passionless introduction, Steve Sharp just told the audience that the clubs a heading in the right direction

BA spoke about what the club means to him, the fans and the district , Ken Thornett assisted by being on stage as the players were introduced. The players were very good, spoke to everyone and were available when approached.

Delboy

First Grade
Sterlo gave a passionate speech, hate predictive text ... Sterlo appears to be back in the fold and spoke highly about Brad Arthur

Eels Dude

Coach
Thanks ED. Where did you find the official guide? Is it one of those things you eastern staters get in your newspapers?

Nah you actually have to purchase it. 10 bucks from a news-agency. It's worth it though as like yourself I'm curious about various stats and it has a very comprehensive list of all player stats and club stats from the previous year, as well as the all time player and club records, player and coaching profiles all the way from NRL to NYC etc among other things. Certainly worth getting your hands on if you can find one over there... and very handy for assisting on winning an argument on internet message boards ;-).

Delboy

First Grade
Ben Jones wasn't there nor Foran, ZDC was there and so were most of the NYC inc French , Davis, Izzard et al

Joely01

Bench
So regarding salary cap space freed up for next year, blokes outside the top 25 make no difference. Therefore the players who are likely off contract at the end of the year (and potentially freeing up space under the cap) are in bold.

Of those I would think Harrison, Moimoi and Smith are gone for sure.

Moimoi gone for sure?

Joely01

Bench
Yep, you'd have to think so. And maybe before the end of the season if possible/any takers.

Kelly, Gower and Sio might follow if we can sign/develop anyone better at filling their roles in the squad, but I'd be surprised if captain Mannah even considered going elsewhere. Not sure about Joseph Paulo... he's handy I'm thinking he'll go to make way for the younger forwards and other signings.

There is no way i would be letting go of Sio.

Eels Dude

Coach
Sio being our most competent winger doesnt say much. I don't think anyone off contract is safe. After the kast 3 years we've had all the players should have to prove themselves to get new contracts. In regards to Moimoi well he'll be 35 at the end of the year. Last year there were plenty of signs he was slowing down so I think the smart thing for the club to do is give him the tap on the shoulder.

Joely01

Bench
Id resign Moimoi for one more year, just not for a heap of money, i still think he offers our team something, especially coming off the bench.

Sio id resign, the kid has skill and wont command huge money. I think he gets unfairly criticized on here, he has been one of our best backs for the last couple of years and this with with some more attacking support around will help him a lot.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I'd keep Sio, because he is a proven first grader, and he would be cheap.

Fui should bow out before he declines too much. I'm worried he'll play most of the season in Wenty, which would be awful to see.

We need that top 17 spot for one of the younger guys.

Joely01

Bench
I can see where you are coming from with Moimoi, but i still think he offers enough to our team for another year. Especially with his role to mentor the younger Islander guys in the team.