What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 SG Ball & Harold Matts (and other junior rep news)

.A few years back two players that decided to play with manly hm were ridiculed at presentation and when jerseys were given out after their rep year they weren't given their jersey numbers they played in but both we're given number 24 as well one of the players was captain and was not allowed to give captain speech.When the cc officials wake up and realise they can't offer the training or the knowledge that other clubs can and realise for every kid that goes somewhere else whether they make it or not end up playing back on the coast as much more rounded players than they would have been. One of those players who wet to another club continued on to nrl level ad the cc claim him as theirs what a joke

Let kids play where they want and look at it this way For every player that plays somewhere else another coast kid gets an opportunity to represent the central coast so good luck to them

I know of the two Coast boys with Manly you are talking about I think you'll find that it wasn't the Centurians who did that with their jerseys but the club side they were playing with at the time (for one season), there was a falling out and they returned to their former club down South. Those two players were harshly dealt with by the Coast officials of that period who are now gone (no love lost here hahaha). One player was dropped for playing NSW touch, the other for representing the state at the surf life saving titles at Aussies, there was another from our club who missed junior rep training to try out for NSW high schools league reps and was also dropped. Manly said to all three "we know you have other sporting commitments but as long as you don't miss to many training sessions and trials and are always available on game day you can pursue your other sporting interests without any interference from us". The CCCenturians are also doing this now as long as you communicate with them first as is the case with Manly. To say players joining the Knights and the Sea Eagles come back as better players though because of their programs is utter and complete nonsense as I haven't noticed this in the least.

Last edited:
The Junior Rep round two matches between the Central Coast Centurians and the North Sydney Bears at Morrie Breen Oval has been cancelled for this weekend due to wet weather (its pouring down here) and will be rescheduled to be played at a later date.

KAB

Juniors
I know of the two Coast boys with Manly you are talking about I think you'll find that it wasn't the Centurians who did that with their jerseys but the club side they were playing with at the time (for one season), there was a falling out and they returned to their former club down South. Those two players were harshly dealt with by the Coast officials of that period who are now gone (no love lost here hahaha). One player was dropped for playing NSW touch, the other for representing the state at the surf life saving titles at Aussies, there was another from our club who missed junior rep training to try out for NSW high schools league reps and was also dropped. Manly said to all three "we know you have other sporting commitments but as long as you don't miss to many training sessions and trials and are always available on game day you can pursue your other sporting interests without any interference from us". The CCCenturians are also doing this now as long as you communicate with them first as is the case with Manly. To say players joining the Knights and the Sea Eagles come back as better players though because of their programs is utter and complete nonsense as I haven't noticed this in the least.
I'm glad you said that, because their are plenty of cases that have taken place as such like you said in the last few years. I'm sure in last years ball side their was Nsw beach sprinter champion that went to Aussies. 1 or 2 touch players that had been able to compete at other carnivals. And yes they had been over looked by a club up north as they had to make a choice. Mal12 times have changed since those you wrote, you even stated that and OMaggies is spot on. Get the facts. Plenty of good things are happening, on the coast and their teams.

Baxter

Juniors

Off the top of my head. I can quickly think of three coast players I know of who came back to the Coast from NRL Clubs as better players. One played HM at Manly and came back and played Jim Beam Cup at age 17. Another, in the same year came back from Manly and made the NSW U/17s side. And there's Jake Mamo who left the coast reps system back in U/15s and is now in Knights top squad.

Yes but look at the Saifiti boys just 17 and playing Bundy Cup with the Entrance, Wade Kemplen also 17 was named on the bench for Wyongs NSW Cup side (though Paul Stringer never used him it was as an reward for hard work). Daniel Bell, Mitch Connor and Mitch Casson also 17 played 1st grade for Ourimbah along with Darcy Cox (who does play for Manly also 17). The Saifiti boys and Wyongs Luke Sharpe made the AIS side that recently toured NZ, Mitch Connor also made Laurie Daleys Emerging Blues Squad along with Darcy and other Manly Coast boys Wade Hannel and Jesse Ramien. Trust me these boys would've made it with Manly, the Centurians or anybody. So there you have it, these other boys are all still with the Centurians and have achieved good results also.

Baxter

Juniors
Yes but look at the Saifiti boys just 17 and playing Bundy Cup with the Entrance, Wade Kemplen also 17 was named on the bench for Wyongs NSW Cup side (though Paul Stringer never used him it was as an reward for hard work). Daniel Bell, Mitch Connor and Mitch Casson also 17 played 1st grade for Ourimbah along with Darcy Cox (who does play for Manly also 17). The Saifiti boys and Wyongs Luke Sharpe made the AIS side that recently toured NZ, Mitch Connor also made Laurie Daleys Emerging Blues Squad along with Darcy and other Manly Coast boys Wade Hannel and Jesse Ramien. Trust me these boys would've made it with Manly, the Centurians or anybody. So there you have it, these other boys are all still with the Centurians and have achieved good results also.

I agree with these examples. My post was in reference to your comment that you hadn't noticed any players coming back were better than when they left.

I agree with these examples. My post was in reference to your comment that you hadn't noticed any players coming back were better than when they left.

Sorry I don't think so, all of these boys were good players, signing and playing with Manly haven't made them any better in my opinion. Imagine if they hadn't been run out of dodge. The Central Coast Centurians would've been serious contenders in my opinion and low and behold get noticed anyways.

Baxter

Juniors
What hinders development on the Central Coast is the lack of competitive football week to week. Most age groups only have 2 or 3 competitive teams so our players only get those 'tough games' 5 or 6 times a season. Unfortunately age groups have been ripped apart by 'trophy hunting coaches' who look to strengthen their sides by poaching from other clubs rather than relying on their own coaching ability,or lack of it, to develop what they already have. Sad but true.

Yes but thats the same in all competitions whether its Newcastle, Manly, Penrith. Our Ourimbah side from a few years ago were labled trophy hunters yet most of the players who came to us were all from 2nd division sides looking for an opportunity most went onto play in rep sides and nobody had even heard of them, I think thats good coaching. I look at the big Coast clubs who have like three and four sides in an age group how are you supposed to compete with that. Its like an NRL club competing with an unlimited salary cap. I think its bad coaching and development if you are not successful with numbers like that at your disposal. We get our players to encourage their friends from school to play, if they are with other clubs well thats life. I don't believe in players from say Woy Woy/Erina going to Wyong especially when they still live in that area and have no connection to players from that club like school or other sports. If they want to pay for petrol and travelling time well good luck with that. We have a player who has always lived and now plays at Ourimbah who used to play for Umina because he was a Rabbitohs supporter. We've lost kids to the Entrance, Kincumber and Wyong this year, if they want to leave well good luck and we'll see you on the paddock.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith sitting on top of both competitions with 2 rounds remaining. Don't expect to win either comp though. Too many injuries.

KAB

Juniors
Penrith sitting on top of both competitions with 2 rounds remaining. Don't expect to win either comp though. Too many injuries.
I thought everyone had abandon the site. Haha Well after today results roosters losing to the tigers in ball. With 2 rounds to go, I reckon 1/2 the ball comp is decided. But the bottom half could be decided in the last round.

I don't like the bore people with this, but yesterday at the Knights and coast matches. Showed a lot of reason why when a club (knights) pretends to help and protect their cause and strengthen their region eg knights with coast, matts score 74 - 4 and ball 30 all draw. It was funny to hear the knights families and with he coast parents especially the 2 sitting and not playing at all for knights, the 2 play makers 7 and 9 running he show. Plus the 2 boys that walked out 3 days before the comp start, 2 others one signed with 3 clubs Dogs / knights / coast, The other also one too many agreements signed. This is a bigger issue, with kids getting the wrong advice, oh by the way, one person of notable importance at the knights, even agreed and was disgusted of the doings of the recruitment of coast kids to the knights even with the agreements made and importance of the region.
The ball - coast team need to win next 2 and win well. If they have any chance of making the semi's.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I thought everyone had abandon the site. Haha Well after today results roosters losing to the tigers in ball. With 2 rounds to go, I reckon 1/2 the ball comp is decided. But the bottom half could be decided in the last round.

I don't like the bore people with this, but yesterday at the Knights and coast matches. Showed a lot of reason why when a club (knights) pretends to help and protect their cause and strengthen their region eg knights with coast, matts score 74 - 4 and ball 30 all draw. It was funny to hear the knights families and with he coast parents especially the 2 sitting and not playing at all for knights, the 2 play makers 7 and 9 running he show. Plus the 2 boys that walked out 3 days before the comp start, 2 others one signed with 3 clubs Dogs / knights / coast, The other also one too many agreements signed. This is a bigger issue, with kids getting the wrong advice, oh by the way, one person of notable importance at the knights, even agreed and was disgusted of the doings of the recruitment of coast kids to the knights even with the agreements made and importance of the region.
The ball - coast team need to win next 2 and win well. If they have any chance of making the semi's.

Yeah, big win by Balmain over this highly rated Easts side.

This comp could be very close with any of about 8 teams capable of winning it. I wouldn't want to go the early crow on any team.

See Daz is not going there unlike previous years.;-)

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Robert Jennings injury rules the Panthers out of SG Ball IMO. Thompson Tuigamala also gone for season.

If Matts get the likes of Jonah Metuangaro, Stefano Soni, John Toso and Ben Cartwright back they will be a chance. No idea when they are back though. All of them have been out for awhile.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Robert Jennings injury rules the Panthers out of SG Ball IMO. Thompson Tuigamala also gone for season.

If Matts get the likes of Jonah Metuangaro, Stefano Soni, John Toso and Ben Cartwright back they will be a chance. No idea when they are back though. All of them have been out for awhile.

Big loss for the Pennies, what injury did Robert pick up? Don't know of Thompson, what position did he play?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Thompson is a damaging front rower who was providing good impact off the bench.

Robert got injured playing NSW Cup a fortnight ago in Wyong. Left the field after about 25 mins with an elbow injury. Was in one of those elbow braces yesterday. Should be back for Holden Cup/NSW Cup later in the year.

Positive news is that Tyrone May(Penrith's 2013 SG Ball Player of the Year) is expected to be back next week after almost 2 months out.

Oliver Clark is hoping to be fit for the finals. He needs to play for the team to win finals.

Last edited: