What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 SG Ball & Harold Matts (and other junior rep news)

girvie

Staff member
Tips

SG Ball
Cronulla
Souths
Penrith
Central Coast
Roosters
North Sydney
Western Sydney
Canterbury
Newcastle

Harold Matts
St George
Souths
Penrith
Illawarra
Roosters
North Sydney
Western Sydney
Canterbury
Western Suburbs

KAB

Juniors
Tips

SG Ball
Cronulla
Souths
Penrith
Central Coast
Roosters
North Sydney
Western Sydney
Canterbury
Newcastle

Harold Matts
St George
Souths
Penrith
Illawarra
Roosters
North Sydney
Western Sydney
Canterbury
Western Suburbs
I love your top 8s, how's are the lane cove boys going? Do the bears have many local boys in their squads? Will you be up in 3 weeks at the Coast.

girvie

Staff member
I love your top 8s, how's are the lane cove boys going? Do the bears have many local boys in their squads? Will you be up in 3 weeks at the Coast.

They are my tips for this weekend, it'll be interesting to see how the teams progress over the full season.

Bears have a lot of locals in both squads.

Yep the Lane Cove Tigers are gearing up for a good season with a lot of interest from new kids looking to play league.

KAB

Juniors
Does anybody know whats going on between cc centurions and knights ? two players from c coast selected in knights matts starting side have been denied a release,they have been training with the squad since november, why crush their dream ?
There is nothing going on. The knights sent a massive fracture down the coast agreement, This year. The 2 boys plus one other all signed agreement to play on the coast, their parents also signed these agreements. The knights also know about these agreements as they helped draw them up. This would have helped the knights further down the track. But it only takes 1 recruitment officer to ruin the agreements. The coast boys won the U 15 country cup. The knights went and picked the eyes out of the coast team. Those boys have been told to play on the coast but have since said no, they have been told they would be welcomed to play on the coast. Hey moon unit there are morals and agreement that people should up hold. It a big issue and there are some uneducated people out there at all levels. The knights tried to bully the coast the little fella stood up. Maybe a lesson learnt

Its not good, the Knights set up was all in favour of Newcastle, now the Central Coast have to start from scratch as most of the kids in Matts are with Newcastle. So it will take the Coast a few years to strengthen up again.

Illawarra dominated the Central Coast winning 36-12 in S.G.Ball, Illawarra led 22-0 at halftime. The Coast had lots of chances but couldn't control the greasy ball. Illawarra were very structured and just fitter overall in general. Illawarra also won the Harold Matts 15-14.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Tips

SG Ball
Cronulla
Souths
Penrith
Central Coast
Roosters
North Sydney
Western Sydney
Canterbury
Newcastle

Harold Matts
St George
Souths
Penrith
Illawarra
Roosters
North Sydney
Western Sydney
Canterbury
Western Suburbs

1st round winners:

Ball:

Souths, Cronulla, Penrith, WSAS, Balmain, Illawarra, Roosters, Canberra and Wests.

HM:

Manly, Cronulla, Penrith, WSAS, Balmian, Illawarra, Roosters, Canberra and Wests.

Baxter

Juniors
Its not good, the Knights set up was all in favour of Newcastle, now the Central Coast have to start from scratch as most of the kids in Matts are with Newcastle. So it will take the Coast a few years to strengthen up again.

Don't blame the Knights. Newcastle didn't tie their hands behind their backs and kidnap the CC players. They made their own decisions to play for the Knights.

KAB

Juniors
Don't blame the Knights. Newcastle didn't tie their hands behind their backs and kidnap the CC players. They made their own decisions to play for the Knights.
Nah you should not blame the knights, their angels in this and poor kids are innocent pawns. Please, understand this there was a pathway set up on the CC to get the kids to remain on the coast. This was set up with from what I believe the CRL / CCRL and the knights. They told everyone they had a pathway to the 20's if any kid was good enough. They got their brand placed on all the gear to make the case strong. Make the juniors believe, make theCc centurions believe. Then this year after the coast made the semi they tried to pulled apart the 15's squad. By the way both squads lost.

Delboy

First Grade

Baxter, with the whole of NSW from the Hunter Valley to Port Macquarie to pick from as that is your area, even that is being generous in giving Coffs to the Titans, the Knights want to undo all the work done on the Central Coast, basically very poor form

Surely your scouts have enough to pick from without being lazy and hurting the CC and their pathway, given that the intent was to head your way in the end

Baxter

Juniors
Baxter, with the whole of NSW from the Hunter Valley to Port Macquarie to pick from as that is your area, even that is being generous in giving Coffs to the Titans, the Knights want to undo all the work done on the Central Coast, basically very poor form

Surely your scouts have enough to pick from without being lazy and hurting the CC and their pathway, given that the intent was to head your way in the end

Delboy, you refer to 'your area' & 'your scouts'. I am a CC supporter not a Knights person. This is my observation. Irrespective of what the Knights may or may not have done, the bottom line is that these players want to play for Newcastle. What all us CC people need to focus on is why they don't want to be part of the Centurions set up. What is the problem there?

Delboy

First Grade
Baxter, I am observing for the outside thought that there as a gentle mans agreement for the boys to continue in their own area.

It is quite easy to be blinded by the promise of a future by an NRL club when you could be served better by learning locally before the jump, as so few junior reps make it to the big time it is easy to see why they jumped, just thought is appears unnecessary

I am involved in the Parra junior league and see so many locals lured by big money offers from the Dogs and Eagles lately , that's another story , but I always prefer to see kids play in the local area

rabbitrabbits

Juniors
It is quite easy to be blinded by the promise of a future by an NRL club when you could be served better by learning locally before the jump, as so few junior reps make it to the big time it is easy to see why they jumped, just thought is appears unnecessary

I would have to agree, kids are better served locally.

Andre Agassi once stated "I would never encourage my kids to pursue professional sports as a career because you spend one third of your life not preparing for two thirds of your life".

If they are playing in the same competition, getting great development, being seen by the same scouts, plus playing with their friends and enjoying their footy then it is not only completely unnececcary but you can create false hopes!..

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Missed the Penrith v Parra matches but great to see Penrith start with 2 wins over a traditional powerhouse.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
A bit disappointed that our Ball team couldn't beat the Panthers but we've promoted a whole bunch of kids in the Harold Mats and I wasn't expecting too much from them anyway. Hopefully the SG Ball team pick up their game this week against Newcastle.

KAB

Juniors
Well get round 2 wrap from the coast, #matts coast competed well throughout the match scoring the first try of the match. But were out classed by a bigger stronger team. Canberra's go to man fb Nic Cotric was class the X factor strong and powerful. The coast were down for 10mins, with the lost of a player in the bin. 30-6
#ball coast team were simply slow to start the game and penalties going against them and some errors which turned into points for the raiders. Ht 26-6 to the raiders, the coast boys came out firing and decided to take on the raiders, the raiders ended up blowing a strong lead to go down by 6.

mal12

Juniors
Delboy, you refer to 'your area' & 'your scouts'. I am a CC supporter not a Knights person. This is my observation. Irrespective of what the Knights may or may not have done, the bottom line is that these players want to play for Newcastle. What all us CC people need to focus on is why they don't want to be part of the Centurions set up. What is the problem there?

Finally somebody says the right thing why don't they want to play for cc! This has been going on for 10 years now on coast and the cc hierarchy are to full of themselves to realise that there not capable of providing the type of coaching and pathway that some players need and want. I heard a conversation at the country finals at mingara last year between cc officials about how they need to give promise of school fees paid if players sign with cc, as well as calling players that go to other clubs as up themselves and wasting their time.Afew years back two players that decided to play with manly hm were ridiculed at presentation and when jerseys were given out after their rep year they weren't given their jersey numbers they played in but both we're given number 24 as well one of the players was captain and was not allowed to give captain speech.When the cc officials wake up and realise they can't offer the training or the knowledge that other clubs can and realise for every kid that goes somewhere else whether they make it or not end up playing back on the coast as much more rounded players than they would have been. One of those players who wet to another club continued on to nrl level ad the cc claim him as theirs what a joke

Let kids play where they want and look at it this way For every player that plays somewhere else another coast kid gets an opportunity to represent the central coast so good luck to them

KAB

Juniors
Finally somebody says the right thing why don't they want to play for cc! This has been going on for 10 years now on coast and the cc hierarchy are to full of themselves to realise that there not capable of providing the type of coaching and pathway that some players need and want. I heard a conversation at the country finals at mingara last year between cc officials about how they need to give promise of school fees paid if players sign with cc, as well as calling players that go to other clubs as up themselves and wasting their time.Afew years back two players that decided to play with manly hm were ridiculed at presentation and when jerseys were given out after their rep year they weren't given their jersey numbers they played in but both we're given number 24 as well one of the players was captain and was not allowed to give captain speech.When the cc officials wake up and realise they can't offer the training or the knowledge that other clubs can and realise for every kid that goes somewhere else whether they make it or not end up playing back on the coast as much more rounded players than they would have been. One of those players who wet to another club continued on to nrl level ad the cc claim him as theirs what a joke

Let kids play where they want and look at it this way For every player that plays somewhere else another coast kid gets an opportunity to represent the central coast so good luck to them
Great idea, now lets get this straight the CC centurions are a different organisation to those of the juniors and seniors. The centurions have been around for 4 years. The scholarship system was set up with conjunction with a NRL club to keep the kids on the coast. Hence a working in favour of the the NRL club. This was to help out those kids at school which I believe is great idea, especially when you can say a lot the families on the coast are from less fortunate situations. To say they don't have the coaches resources to provide the kids is silly. Obviously you have got a great knowledge of the what the kids get elsewhere and what they get on the coast. If the coaching and resources are poor then how do they get to where they are. What was the name of the player that went to the NRL club and CC named them as their own. You have to remember it is a development competition. And all clubs have their areas and juniors.

mal12

Juniors
Great idea, now lets get this straight the CC centurions are a different organisation to those of the juniors and seniors. The centurions have been around for 4 years. The scholarship system was set up with conjunction with a NRL club to keep the kids on the coast. Hence a working in favour of the the NRL club. This was to help out those kids at school which I believe is great idea, especially when you can say a lot the families on the coast are from less fortunate situations. To say they don't have the coaches resources to provide the kids is silly. Obviously you have got a great knowledge of the what the kids get elsewhere and what they get on the coast. If the coaching and resources are poor then how do they get to where they are. What was the name of the player that went to the NRL club and CC named them as their own. You have to remember it is a development competition. And all clubs have their areas and juniors.

My knowledge of this issue is based around being around for a long time and yes the centurions is relatively new but that doesn't change the fact that there is still people involved that have this mentality that you should stay on the coast and things will work for you. When I spoke about the coaching we have many good coaches on the coast who can guide teams on the field I was looking at a players development and what added extras you gain from a Sydney club.you only have to look at last year Tony Gleeson did a wonderful job with the hm and basically told he wasn't what they needed in a coach now he is newcastle hm coach.
I have been involved with many sports on coast for many years and rugby league is the only one that frowns upon kids moving on to other clubs to further their talents.As you stated it is a development competition for players and have a look at the amount of players that wouldn't be playing in the comp if all the players stayed on the coast. To me a win win both ways
I could name the player but that's not my place he was a cc junior who made a choice and moved to another club early on and it has benefited him but the treatment he got for making that choice has spoiled any chance of him returning to the coast as a player and this is what I was meaning every player that leaves the coast eventually should comeback which strengthens our senior comp another win in my books. Just to finish I really rate your knowledge and input on this forum thanks

KAB

Juniors
Thanks for your kind words Mal12. I can correct you on one point though Tony Gleeson was given the job for the CC ball squad this year. He accepted this role but went to the knights for the Matts. That was his choice, he up and left the coast. Though he was replaced by the CC coast coach of the year Gavin Spain. For the junior not to return back to where I suppose his mates are playing still or his family is sad. But if has made NRL he would have long career and therefore would not return. But then again Mark O'meley will return to his old club as junior. Good luck Mal12 maybe stick your head in at a game when you get a chance. But not every country boy will return home, to their locality. They move on, that's life.

Latest posts