What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 signings player watch thread

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He broke a bone because someone stomped him. What's his age got to do with the injury ?

Or are the facts in inconvenience to your agenda ?
Bones are easy to break at pension age ;-)

And the fact he has hardly played all year through injury and supsenion might have something to do with
My comment.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yeah I'm a troll because I don't clap at cheer at everything the club does :roll:
That's right I'm not a true fan, so when you were critical of the previous board were you trolling????

Careful for speaking out on tgis board and telling it how it is otherwise your posts will start to go missing..

The coach and club and the way it is run is shithouse, everyone apart from this and some louts from toongabbie can see it.

My mates actually don't give me shit about parra anymore as it isn't funny anymore.

emjaycee

Coach
Bones are easy to break at pension age ;-)

And the fact he has hardly played all year through injury and supsenion might have something to do with
My comment.

Scott has played 14 of 19 games, so just under 74% of the Knights games this year - not quite "hardly played all year", as you state above.

Of the 5 he missed, 1 was Origin (he played in all 3 Origins however the Knights had the bye for 2 of them), 1 was suspension after Origin 3 and the other 3 were from an ankle injury suffered in round 5.

So tells us again what you have based your positive comment on?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Scott has played 14 of 19 games, so just under 74% of the Knights games this year - not quite "hardly played all year", as you state above.

Of the 5 he missed, 1 was Origin (he played in all 3 Origins however the Knights had the bye for 2 of them), 1 was suspension after Origin 3 and the other 3 were from an ankle injury suffered in round 5.

So tells us again what you have based your positive comment on?
So add in the 4 he is missing down the back end that's 14 games for the Knights this season and 3 origins.

More than I thought and more than Watmough but still there has to be doubts about them both getting through the full season. If they do I can see us having a very good year but it's a big If.

Sadly a very good year for us is sneaking into the 8.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Best thing for us is Scott not to play Origin next year, that takes it out of the "older" players I believe, mentally and physically

The younger ones just starting out have an extra step and in most cases they come back to club footy better players

I would have liked us to go hard for Trent Merrin over Watmough though

I reckon Scott will be good for us next year, but 2017 I'm less convinced about. The restriction on interchanges probably helps his case too.

emjaycee

Coach
So add in the 4 he is missing down the back end that's 14 games for the Knights this season and 3 origins.

More than I thought and more than Watmough but still there has to be doubts about them both getting through the full season. If they do I can see us having a very good year but it's a big If.

Sadly a very good year for us is sneaking into the 8.

Can you explain again why there has to be doubts about Scott getting through the full season next year?

He suffered a 3 week injury in round 5 and a possible broken foot in round 22. Neither of these injuries relate to his age, which is what you are inferring makes him a risky signing for next year.

Is he any more risky then Edwards, Peats, Ma'u, Pritchard, Wicks or Terepo who have all missed more games this year due to injury?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Can you explain again why there has to be doubts about Scott getting through the full season next year?

He suffered a 3 week injury in round 5 and a possible broken foot in round 22. Neither of these injuries relate to his age, which is what you are inferring makes him a risky signing for next year.

Is he any more risky then Edwards, Peats, Ma'u, Pritchard, Wicks or Terepo who have all missed more games this year due to injury?
Those guys all mentioned how much are they on next year?? Hardly comparable salary wise.

He will be 31 next season and he plays a tough compromising style of footy. Who knows he might play all season but he might be like Wamough and lucky to get through half. I think it's a risk paying two ageing forwards that kind of money. Both are past their best and slowing down. Watmough has hardly missed any footy his whole career would you say he has been a successful signing so far??? And we have 3 more years of both of them. If they stay fit and it pays off and we go on to win the GF fantastic I, but if they both get injured it could be a disaster that's all I'm saying.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Best thing for us is Scott not to play Origin next year, that takes it out of the "older" players I believe, mentally and physically

The younger ones just starting out have an extra step and in most cases they come back to club footy better players

I would have liked us to go hard for Trent Merrin over Watmough though

Merrin is an overrated teddy bear. He is seriously inconsistent
Not worth the big $$$$ the Panthers paid for.
The junior investment in Watmough, on the other hand is money in the bank accruing long-term interest.

Chipmunk

Coach
Merrin is an overrated teddy bear. He is seriously inconsistent
Not worth the big $$$$ the Panthers paid for.
The junior investment in Watmough, on the other hand is money in the bank accruing long-term interest.

I dare say Watmough and Merrin are getting about the same amount of coin

emjaycee

Coach
Those guys all mentioned how much are they on next year?? Hardly comparable salary wise.

He will be 31 next season and he plays a tough compromising style of footy. Who knows he might play all season but he might be like Wamough and lucky to get through half. I think it's a risk paying two ageing forwards that kind of money. Both are past their best and slowing down. Watmough has hardly missed any footy his whole career would you say he has been a successful signing so far??? And we have 3 more years of both of them. If they stay fit and it pays off and we go on to win the GF fantastic I, but if they both get injured it could be a disaster that's all I'm saying.

See, this is what I don't get.

First you say Scott "hardly played all year", but in reality he has played 74% of games for Newcastle this year and 3 Origins. Then you say "he might be like Watmough and lucky to get through half" but Choc has played 17 of 19 games this year and has been sent for surgery by the coaching staff to get ready for next year and only once our chances of finals footy were pretty much gone.

Sure these guys have had decent length careers but so did Hindy, Petero, Corey Parker, Ben Kennedy and quite a few other forwards. I just don't understand why you are writing them off already.

Choc was quiet in the first part of this year but I reckon it takes time to settle into a new club. Since about round 13 he started to really earn his keep I reckon.

Is your issue their age or their salary cause you seem to jump between the 2 as your reasons for not liking their signings, unless of course you just don't like their signings but don't really have a valid reason.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
See, this is what I don't get.

First you say Scott "hardly played all year", but in reality he has played 74% of games for Newcastle this year and 3 Origins. Then you say "he might be like Watmough and lucky to get through half" but Choc has played 17 of 19 games this year and has been sent for surgery by the coaching staff to get ready for next year and only once our chances of finals footy were pretty much gone.

Sure these guys have had decent length careers but so did Hindy, Petero, Corey Parker, Ben Kennedy and quite a few other forwards. I just don't understand why you are writing them off already.

Choc was quiet in the first part of this year but I reckon it takes time to settle into a new club. Since about round 13 he started to really earn his keep I reckon.

Is your issue their age or their salary cause you seem to jump between the 2 as your reasons for not liking their signings, unless of course you just don't like their signings but don't really have a valid reason.
why put a % on what they have done so far this season??? 17 from 19 means shit when he isn't going to play another game this season. So it's 17 from 24.

It will finish up both will play 17 games this season. Not terrible but can you see them playing more than that as they get older??? Hayne was bagged deluxe when he missed games and was injured. And so far Watmough has been a dud on field, we don't know the work has has been doing with the younger guys in the forward pack but they seem to have done well and played tougher this season so hopefully we are getting some bang for out buck that way. But to say they aren't a risk is bullshit, every player is a risk epsecially after they turn 30.

Jodeci

Bench

Beau Scott's 2015 Season:

Avg Mins: 67
Avg Hit Ups: 6
Avg Metres: 57
Avg Tackles: 24

Has missed 3 games through injury, 2 byes and 2 origin weekends

He has cracked the 100 metres only once this year in round 4

We need him to toughen up our right edge.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
why put a % on what they have done so far this season??? 17 from 19 means shit when he isn't going to play another game this season. So it's 17 from 24.

It will finish up both will play 17 games this season. Not terrible but can you see them playing more than that as they get older??? Hayne was bagged deluxe when he missed games and was injured. And so far Watmough has been a dud on field, we don't know the work has has been doing with the younger guys in the forward pack but they seem to have done well and played tougher this season so hopefully we are getting some bang for out buck that way. But to say they aren't a risk is bullshit, every player is a risk epsecially after they turn 30.

17 from 24 is a shit load more than "half" and who has said they arent a risk?
It is a f**king contact sport - every game, every player is at risk of getting injured, regardless of their age.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I dare say Watmough and Merrin are getting about the same amount of coin

Really? Choc not the player he once was and was brought in to bring leadership to a young team. Merrin a forward who is about to hit his prime and was brought in to be the premier forward in a struggling pack? Do you honestly think that they'd be getting the same amount?

Chipmunk

Coach
Really? Choc not the player he once was and was brought in to bring leadership to a young team. Merrin a forward who is about to hit his prime and was brought in to be the premier forward in a struggling pack? Do you honestly think that they'd be getting the same amount?

Well lets see, one is playing for a club that doesn't appear to offer players overs (or lets them leave to get their overs somewhere else) in Penrith and the other is a club that appears to offer every man and his dog more than he's worth in Parra. You'd also have to take into account the specific value that each player will be providing their individual club.

So yeah, I'd think they're on about the same in 2016.

If I was to guess both players 'on-cap' salary for 2016 I would say it would be around the $650k.

Last edited: