What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Footy is the NRLs business and business is bad.

Meanwhile, players and clubs back to bitching about money and the weather is shittest it's been in years.

Clifferd

Coach
Game was over before it started. I don't blame em

One team has a 25 million dollar cap

The other played with a player value of about 3.5 million

Raiderdave

First Grade
time for another Brisbane side
someone said the tickets are way too expensive at Broncos games but if theyre the only ones providing top line live RL fortnightly in Brisbane , they'll charge what they like.

some competition is whats needed to sort that out

T-Boon

Coach
Agree - there's no passion any more

People at the ground get excited when something exciting or unexpected happens. For example: Tries (especially exciting tries from long range), interceptions (especially long range), line breaks, big hits, 40/20s, strips, conversions from side line, chip kicks - even when they fail...the list goes on.

People do not get excited about wrestles, completions, getting to kicks, structure, line speed, etc. These things play too big a roll in the game.

Bombs use to be vaguely exciting before they became the default setting for every set and more a way to pin teams on their ten metre line.

Fans spend most of the time in the game brooding for penalties because that is easily the most likely way you are going to get an opportunity in opposition half given the current safety first coaching philosophies.

We need more play making by players and less by refs. This will get fans at the ground more actively involved and excited and more likely to get to the ground in the first place.

There are heaps of ways the powers that be can make the game on the field more exciting. For example 40/30.

insert.pause

First Grade
time for another Brisbane side
someone said the tickets are way too expensive at Broncos games but if theyre the only ones providing top line live RL fortnightly in Brisbane , they'll charge what they like.

some competition is whats needed to sort that out
It had nothing to do with cost, it was raining all day and they were playing the tigers ffs! Brisbane is the last place people should be whinging about.

Raiderdave

First Grade
It had nothing to do with cost, it was raining all day and they were playing the tigers ffs! Brisbane is the last place people should be whinging about.

when a one team town of 2.3 Million people on top of the ladder gets 21K to any game in any conditions

we'll whinge !!
& rightly so .....

T-Boon

Coach
Brisbane is the last place people should be whinging about.

No, Newcastle is the last place people should be whinging about. They get 15k in a 150k town with a crap team. Brisbane get 30k in a 2.5 mill town when they always have great players.
Second Brisbane team.

Raiderdave

First Grade
No, Newcastle is the last place people should be whinging about. They get 15k in a 150k town with a crap team. Brisbane get 30k in a 2.5 mill town when they always have great players.
Second Brisbane team.

lol
Newcastle had a population of 150K in about 1966 you idiot

its 440K now combined with Maitland
& in excess of 600K in the lower hunter including Cessnock , Kurri Kurri etc

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't believe the NRL doesn't care about crowds - I think that's a stretch to make.

But I think it's plainly evident they don't do enough. Energies & finances focussed too much on things that don't necessarily drive revenue, and very little put into marketing.

Raiderdave

First Grade
They just slumped to their lowest crowd in eight years and you want to give them more footy?

people won't pay 90 odd dollars to sit on the sidelines for a club game & 55$ to sit behind the goal posts
the Broncos have no competition to put pressure on them to lower prices

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't believe the NRL doesn't care about crowds - I think that's a stretch to make.

But I think it's plainly evident they don't do enough. Energies & finances focussed too much on things that don't necessarily drive revenue, and very little put into marketing.

Greenburg pretty much admitted that they had given up on crowds when he talked about the latest tv deal and the Friday 6pm game. Even when he came in and was asked about crowds he said it needed better stadia and transport and gave no solutions the nrl actually had.

I thought last year with the Monday and thursday game would have seen us at a decade long low avg but it could be this year unless some of the better supported clubs and the weather pick up in the second half of the season. 2004 last time the crowd avg was below 15k.

Latest posts