What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018/19 Coach Hirings/Firings + Interviews

nick87

Coach
i didn't say he wasn't talented or dangerous. i said he can't run a nfl offense. if he could they would be running one. he's been in the league for 7 years and they have him handing off 70% of the time.

everything is homerism to you. you can't even have a discussion without throwing that term around.

You're stumbling around calling them the "seaf**ks" and calling him "oompa" and trying to tell us he cant throw from in the pocket and he's the reason they are run heavy, and he cant run an NFL offence. Christ. If that's not a homer take then i dont know what is

It would be like me stomping around calling Zeke Elliott the "domestic violator" and barking about how he's only good because of his line, and can't run outside the hashes or some shit. It's just bad. It's not supported by any fact. Anyone who watches the Russell Wilson play without bias would see very quickly that the guy is an elite passer.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ighest-graded-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

Overall Grade: 87.2

Buried within a run-heavy offense, Wilson put together one of the best seasons of his career playing what was nearly a backup role given Seattle’s commitment to the run. He led the NFL in big-time throw percentage in total (8.9) and from a clean pocket (9.2).

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2532975/careerstats

Wilson after 7 years has 25,000 passing yards, from 3,200 attempts... about 7.8 ypa, a 3:1 TD to INT ratio, has never finished with a passer rating below 90.0, his career passer rating is 100.3 good for SECOND ALL TIME.
He's never won less than 9 games in a season, his overall record is 83-41-1, good for 0.688, including 8-5 in the post season and a SB ring.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/5/18126856/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-offensive-evolution
I mean just read that article, from one of the best football writers going around.

RuSsEll WiLsOn CaNt ThRoW fRoM tHe PoCkET
C_ezmlGXgAAKRZ4.jpg

nick87

Coach
Yeah i was a bit down on it at first but im warming to it now. At least he's going to scheme guys open instead of relying on Adams to win and Rodgers to make wow throws

kurt faulk

Coach
You're stumbling around calling them the "seaf**ks" and calling him "oompa" and trying to tell us he cant throw from in the pocket and he's the reason they are run heavy, and he cant run an NFL offence. Christ. If that's not a homer take then i dont know what is

It would be like me stomping around calling Zeke Elliott the "domestic violator" and barking about how he's only good because of his line, and can't run outside the hashes or some shit. It's just bad. It's not supported by any fact. Anyone who watches the Russell Wilson play without bias would see very quickly that the guy is an elite passer.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ighest-graded-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

Overall Grade: 87.2

Buried within a run-heavy offense, Wilson put together one of the best seasons of his career playing what was nearly a backup role given Seattle’s commitment to the run. He led the NFL in big-time throw percentage in total (8.9) and from a clean pocket (9.2).

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2532975/careerstats

Wilson after 7 years has 25,000 passing yards, from 3,200 attempts... about 7.8 ypa, a 3:1 TD to INT ratio, has never finished with a passer rating below 90.0, his career passer rating is 100.3 good for SECOND ALL TIME.
He's never won less than 9 games in a season, his overall record is 83-41-1, good for 0.688, including 8-5 in the post season and a SB ring.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/5/18126856/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-offensive-evolution
I mean just read that article, from one of the best football writers going around.

RuSsEll WiLsOn CaNt ThRoW fRoM tHe PoCkET
C_ezmlGXgAAKRZ4.jpg

You stick with your articles. I'll stick with what I've seen with my own eyes.

Eelectrica

Referee
I just can't wait to see who is the next Dolphins coach for the next 3 years and then we get to do it all again.
Great time to be a Dolphan.

shiznit

Coach
Freddie Kitchens will be taking over the Browns...

Vic Fangio the Broncos... with Kubiak coming back to take OC duties...

Edit: Sources -

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
My thoughts on the hires so far

Packers: Matt LaFleur - This feels like a total "next McVey" type of hire but this one i think has a chance to work. I think as long as Rodgers buys into it, and that's no sure thing. But if he does, Rodgers is going to get a highly schemed system where he's going to actually get to run an offence where the scheme might help him to stay on schedule and make quick decisive throws to open guys. Rather than just having to rely on Davonte Adams to get a little seperation and have Rodgers make an insane throw.

Cardinal: Kliff Kingsbury: THE quintessential "next McVey" hire. Christ they even spruiked Kingsbury's friendship in the presser! I think this could be anywhere on ths scale of 0-100 on the diaster to great scale. I dont hold his time a time at Texas Tech against him, in college football, you just cant really compete properly unless you're one of the big time colleges because when you run into those big schools who have 5 star recruits as back ups, and you're rolling out 3-4 star starers... its just not fair. One things for sure, this will be an interesting team to see, they'll either be exciting because they're good and fun, or they'll be exciting because they'll be a train wreck.

Broncos: Vic Fangio: Really like this hire. Firstly it hurts the bears and im cool with that. But otherwise, this is at least a hire that isnt the copy cat league stuff. I dont know if Vic Fangio is going to be a very good HC, but i dont think he'll be awful. I see him a little Zimmer-ish. And Gary Kubiak is coming back to be the OC, so you're kind of going to have Kubiak as O-HC and Vic as D-HC, i think that's a good pairing. The only problem they have is the QB, they gotta find one... Teddy B looms.

Tampa Bay: Bruce Arians: Another one i think is pretty solid. I like the staff he's put together too. Bowles as a DC is a slam dunk, there isnt much talent there but he has always done a decent job as a DC. They'll need to invest in the D though. BA has himself and Leftwich running the offence, they are big fans of big, deep and aggressive passing concepts, which works perfectly with Winston's skillset. I dont think Winston is very good but the talent is clearly there and if anyone can save him, it's BA.

Cleveland: Freddie Kitchens: I like Freddie, he seems like a really good guy and an awesome OC. His relationship with Mayfield is clearly as the forefront of this hire. A few things worry me about this, firstly, promoting Kitchens probably means he spends LESS time with Mayfield, not more. Sure it keeps him in the building but Mayfield is going to be dealing with a new QB coach and new OC who arent going to be Freddie. Secondly, it just feels like this "promote the OC to keep the QB happy" thing rarely works out. Tampa did this exact thing with Dirk Koetter for Jameis and that was a diaster. And finally, Kitchens is a Bruce Arians guy, and he's cleaning out most of the staff, have to think most of the guys Kitchens wanted are already aligned with Arians. His staff hires are going to be important.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Giving Fangio Miller and Chubb. That's going to be fun.

The big ? is QB. Keenum comes with 10mil dead cap if they move him on (21 mil if they don't). They have 3 options really.

1) Stay with Keenum
2) Stay with Keenum but try to move up for a QB in a weak QB class who can sit for a year.
3) Cut their losses and try to upgrade in free agency if a better fit presents.

I could see Elway looking very closely at Bridgewater or Flacco. Whether he's willing to pay the price though...

TBH I think Kitchens and Kingsbury will go down in flames.

Lafleur it all comes down to what sort of chemistry he can develop with Rodgers who lets be honest - it's his team.

Arians will be fun to watch but I don't know how immediate their results will be. The thing in their favour is how strong this years defensive class is. I think he's got a decent offensive foundation to work with so building that D is important.

Haffa

Cardinal: Kliff Kingsbury: THE quintessential "next McVey" hire. Christ they even spruiked Kingsbury's friendship in the presser! I think this could be anywhere on ths scale of 0-100 on the diaster to great scale. I dont hold his time a time at Texas Tech against him, in college football, you just cant really compete properly unless you're one of the big time colleges because when you run into those big schools who have 5 star recruits as back ups, and you're rolling out 3-4 star starers... its just not fair. One things for sure, this will be an interesting team to see, they'll either be exciting because they're good and fun, or they'll be exciting because they'll be a train wreck.

He took over a team which had 20 straight winning seasons and missed 3 bowl games in that span, only to have 4 losing seasons and miss 3 bowl games himself. He has no NFL experience at all. He did nothing with Mahomes and lost Mayfield after a year because he couldn't recognise the talent in his program. He won't last 2 years..

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
So....apparently the Browns told McCarthy that he had to keep Kitchens as OC if he took the HC job - McCarthy declined.

Eelectrica

Referee
So far Bronco's made out the best in this years round of musical NFL coaches.
Seems the Dolphins are holding out for Kris Richard who could be an interesting hire.
Just hope whoever the Dolphins hire, they give him enough time to sort our roster out which is a complete train wreck at the moment.

Latest posts