What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018-2022 Media Deal $ Value

The_Wookie

Bench
Are you sure? Isn’t that from nrl generated digital revenue rather than the Telstra deal? I thought this was the return from all the money they’ve spent on investing in digital?

Previous years the Telstra deal has definitely sat in the media revenue line.

It is from NRL Media and digital revenues, which arent included in the actual media revenue - but which are very like the AFL Media ( the AFLs media arm) revenue which the AFL includes in its "Broadcast and AFL Media" category

VictoryFC

Bench
I didn’t realistically think Netflix would want sports coverage, but this is interesting move to set up an Australian office. Netflix might look at sport in Australia https://www.news.com.au/technology/...t/news-story/8bd40921241cc96c48f50d8dc3a3ff7c

You put 2 and 2 and came up with 5.

Netflix isnt touching sport. For one, they’d have to spend hundreds of millions to get NRL or AFL. Fat chance of that happening.

And they would do it in a country that is almost maxxed out in terms of subs.

I wouldnt be holding my breath.

Starkers

Bench
You put 2 and 2 and came up with 5.

Netflix isnt touching sport. For one, they’d have to spend hundreds of millions to get NRL or AFL. Fat chance of that happening.

And they would do it in a country that is almost maxxed out in terms of subs.

I wouldnt be holding my breath.
dunno about that. if netflix did buy the rights, bye bye foxtel and kayo. and then news corp is debased. all the NRL shows would be on netflix and they wouldn't put up with the shit-canning of the game like news love to do.

VictoryFC

Bench
dunno about that. if netflix did buy the rights, bye bye foxtel and kayo. and then news corp is debased. all the NRL shows would be on netflix and they wouldn't put up with the shit-canning of the game like news love to do.

In order to beat Fox to the rights, Netflix would have to shell out over $300-500 million a year.

Up to this point, Netflix has purchased licenses from other rights holder to stream their content on demand as well as investing heavily in creating content to draw new subscribers in key markets.

In Australia, the company reportedly has 11 million subscribers. I don't buy that, considering how generous their user limit is. I personally share one account between 6 people. Can't be the only one either.

Regardless, the sub number is very high. And it's reaching saturation point.

So Netflix could spend hundreds of millions a year to nab rights to a sport that would barely move the needle in terms of subscribers in Australia. Or it could spend that money on developing new content for Indians.

Take a guess at what their shareholders would prefer.

Oh, I forgot to mention. In order to buy the rights to the NRL, they would also have to create a whole new operation based in Australia, which would be tasked with carrying out the matchday operations required to broadcast live sport.

And of course Netflix would do all this in Australia, rather than the bevy of larger and more lucrative markets that exist out there with far bigger potential to expand the company's subscriber base.

The ONLY way Netflix touches sport anytime soon is by rebroadcasting from another provider, which is what Optus does with the EPL. If Optus actually had to carry out the broadcasting, they wouldn't have gone anywhere near it. Because they can rely on an overseas broadcaster to do all the dirty work for them, it's very easy for them to package that content to Australians.

The problem for Australian sports league is that this means Netflix, were it ever to touch sport, would pick up rights for overseas leagues in America and Europe to rebroadcast here. They wouldn't spend hundreds of millions on rights, more tens of millions to set up operation and broadcast, for very low upside in terms of growing subscribers in an already tapped out and tiny market.

I'm at a loss for words to understand what goes on in the heads of some of you blokes.I'm at a loss for words to understand what goes on in the heads of some of you blokes.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once Amazon and the like start bidding for the rights goodbye Foxtel and Murdoch.

They are after European sports rights only a matter of time until the get hold of the Australian sports market.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/amazon-sports-tv-rights-european-expansion-recruitment

I suppose the way that would happen, and taking into account VictoryFC commentary, would be for the NRL to be the content creator ie have its own coverage production, and then on sell to the digital providers. As said it is highly unlikely any digital provider is going to invest in content production for a relatively small market like 1/2 Australia and the Nth of England.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I suppose the way that would happen, and taking into account VictoryFC commentary, would be for the NRL to be the content creator ie have its own coverage production, and then on sell to the digital providers. As said it is highly unlikely any digital provider is going to invest in content production for a relatively small market like 1/2 Australia and the Nth of England.

I’ve spoken about this before. And I feel this is something the afl do that help them get a better deal with the tv broadcasters. Could the nrl get the broadcast rights to the new Allianz, bankwest and anz? That would tie up 70-80% of games, generate revenue, increase our independence and open up other broadcast opportunities.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...brisbane-ripe-for-growth-20190623-p520gy.html

Could it be possible that the nrl come into the next broadcast deal saying they want a 9th game or nothing. The tv broadcasters 9/fox tell the nrl that they only want a 17th team and from Brisbane. Could the broadcasters then pay the nrl overs to get the Brisbane 2 team? Then with the help of amazon, Facebook, or Netflix the 9th game goes ahead without the 9/fox broadcasters. This in turn would force them to the table because their broadcasts rely on access to all games.

What worries me is that at the end of the year Greenberg’s competition review will be complete and will basically tell the broadcasters what the nrl wants. It allows the broadcasters to dictate terms at the negotiating table. Which is never a good thing.

Starkers

Bench
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...brisbane-ripe-for-growth-20190623-p520gy.html

Could it be possible that the nrl come into the next broadcast deal saying they want a 9th game or nothing. The tv broadcasters 9/fox tell the nrl that they only want a 17th team and from Brisbane. Could the broadcasters then pay the nrl overs to get the Brisbane 2 team? Then with the help of amazon, Facebook, or Netflix the 9th game goes ahead without the 9/fox broadcasters. This in turn would force them to the table because their broadcasts rely on access to all games.

What worries me is that at the end of the year Greenberg’s competition review will be complete and will basically tell the broadcasters what the nrl wants. It allows the broadcasters to dictate terms at the negotiating table. Which is never a good thing.

dunno, tough one. i take the view that expansion by one team will not dilute the talent too much. especially if it is in brisbane.

when we went from 16 to 20 teams in 95 it made probably 4 out of 10 games complete rubbish. right now we have very tight contests so it's a good time.

in hindsight, i think even the aWfUl would admit they went too hard for 2 new teams within 2 seasons and now there are real issues with some clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Tv arent stupid, they will have exclusivities built into the contract meaning nrl couldn’t sell extra content to competitors.

Generalzod

Immortal
https://mumbrella.com.au/the-curren...n-on-the-future-of-sports-broadcasting-588013

The heads of sports for both Nine and Seven have weighed in on the future of sports broadcasting and the rights model, and concluded that it needs a serious rethink for sporting bodies and broadcasters to get the best outcomes.

Speaking to Mumbrella, Nine’s director of sport, Tom Malone, said he felt the rights model is broken, and needs to be changed before some sports have to suffer the consequences.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not surprising, Ch9 would be taking a hit in audiences from fox getting all games and streaming. No surprise they want to push for exclusive content. Watching fta companies is like watching that last blockbusters try to stay relevant and keep its doors open.

Billythekid

First Grade
Not surprising, Ch9 would be taking a hit in audiences from fox getting all games and streaming. No surprise they want to push for exclusive content. Watching fta companies is like watching that last blockbusters try to stay relevant and keep its doors open.

Channel 9 is taking a hit because their coverage is woeful. Right now if you have a choice between fox and 9 it’s essentially a no brainer. Maybe if they actually improve their broadcast they might be able to compete again. Problem is they’re just content to rest on their laurels when it comes to the NRL just as they always have.

Starkers

Bench
Channel 9 is taking a hit because their coverage is woeful. Right now if you have a choice between fox and 9 it’s essentially a no brainer. Maybe if they actually improve their broadcast they might be able to compete again. Problem is they’re just content to rest on their laurels when it comes to the NRL just as they always have.

fox league is increasing viewership for a reason - they are so much better at producing the show.

ch9 should buy andrew voss immediately. then sack warren and gould.

colly

Juniors
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-with-seven-by-two-years-20190816-p52hvi.html
Well what do we make of this? So many angles. A recession due within 2 years. Less Tv money due falling ratings. The answer really lies with Foxtel as they are greatest money contributor. What should the NRL do? For mine i would take a expansion 4 teams 2 extra games counter move and use this to shore up Nine Tv because if they are not profitable they will bid lower ( if you demonstrate that it is a money/profitable it stands to say that nine will at least pay the same or greater with a adjustment for inflation.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-with-seven-by-two-years-20190816-p52hvi.html

Starkers

Bench
Well what do we make of this? So many angles. A recession due within 2 years. Less Tv money due falling ratings. The answer really lies with Foxtel as they are greatest money contributor. What should the NRL do? For mine i would take a expansion 4 teams 2 extra games counter move and use this to shore up Nine Tv because if they are not profitable they will bid lower ( if you demonstrate that it is a money/profitable it stands to say that nine will at least pay the same or greater with a adjustment for inflation.
it really depends what kind of deal they strike. are they going to get an uplift or remain stable? it feels a little knee-jerk to me on the back of a good ratings season after a poor one last year.

for the NRL - there is no way we should add 4 teams at once. that didn't work in 1995 and it won't work now.

and i am not sure what all this inflation-adjusted pay-scale requirement is. inflation is below 2% and not looking like changing in the short term.

Latest posts