What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Captain

leaguelegend21

Juniors
In my opinion, we have 3 choices for 2018 captain. Josh Reynolds, Chris Lawrence and Elijah Taylor. Who do we all reckon should lead the lads out in 2018?

I lean towards Josh Reynolds. We need someone to be the face of our rebuild and Reynolds would be our inspirational leader. Players love playing with him and he has an ability like no other to lead a team during adversity. Obviously he has only just joined the club and is prone to brain farts, however his attitude and infectious personality suggest that he would be a good (c). Not to mention, he is a great speaker (unlike Karen Woods) and has a record in the community that is second to none.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Not too keen on any of the three as captain to be honest, but struggling to think of anyone else...

Reynolds if I had to pick one... The problem is that all three of them can come up with a bone headed dumb error at the worst possible time...

Shredder

Juniors
Reynolds.
Its time for him to step up.
The added responsibility, at an age where he is already experienced and can deal with it, will take his game to the next level.
Plus, hes guaranteed his spot in the team every week.
Reynolds is the common sense choice

Tiger05

First Grade
Not Reynolds. He is new to the club. To me we need co-captains of Lawrence and ET. If we have to go for one I'd go for Lawrence.

TiggaPlease

Reynolds for sure. His enthusiasm and never say die attitude will be great for the young guys, plus I agree with the posters above that the responsibility will really make him step up.

I love Lawrence but he shouldn't be guaranteed a spot in the 17.

Clifferd

Coach
Reynolds. Don't care if he's a new addition or not

He'll be here for the next 4-5 years and will be a huge part in what we do anyway

I don't see Lawrence being offered a contract once this ones up and he's on the bench for me next year anyway

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
2018 - Lawrence
2019 onwards - I'd hope we buy some better back rowers. One of Taylor/Matulino/Reynolds/Taylor as captain

Clifferd

Coach
Is it worth having Lawrence captain for 1 year if we know he's only going to be it for 1 year?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Agree ... Make a long term call whoever it is, which rules out Lawrence..

Really need 2018 to be the start of something instead of another zombie year like this one has turned out to be...

leaguelegend21

Juniors
The prospect of having Lawrence as a 1 year captain is moronic beyond belief. We need to pick and stick with a captain after all the tumultuous crap we have had to endure. The new captain has to embody stability for fans, players and management both on and off the field. For me, Josh Reynolds is the only choice. Lawrence and ET will be great vice captains.

Clifferd

Coach
Yep time for some stability. I want our next captain to be our captain for the next 5+ years

Therefore Reynolds is best choice flailing closely behind Taylor depending on how long he stays with us

Tiger Ted

Bench
Reynolds for sure. His enthusiasm and never say die attitude will be great for the young guys, plus I agree with the posters above that the responsibility will really make him step up.

I love Lawrence but he shouldnt be guaranteed a spot in the 17.
I agree that rowdy shouldn't b guaranteed a spot but my concern is that there's question marks about strength & depth of our backrow & as a result I expect rowdy's selection to b a given.I certainly c the merit in Reynolds being captain but while ever rowdy is in the side he deserves captaincy based on work ethic respect he commands from peers & his exemplary character.

I have no doubt Reynolds is captain material &should b captain in either '19 or '20.

Shredder

Juniors
We need to draw a line in the sand, between now and the future.

Im still quietly hopeful that Lawrence isnt even in the team next year. Nothing against the bloke, but hes a role player and we need more grunt up front now.

I love ET as a player, but Im just not sure he has the footy head to be captain.

Reynolds will be the most experienced player in the team, has won a final and has played origin. If the players need more than that to look up to we are f**ked.

Clifferd

Coach
We need a dominant voice who's been there and done it before

Sure Lawrence is a good clubman and all that but that's all he is

Reynolds is that sorta player you would play with in the trenches & never gives up and by the Bulldogs players & fans reactions is well liked by most

Idgaf if he's new to the club he'll fit in in no time and deservedly be captain with a leadership group of Lawrence, ET, Packer

Vozzy

Juniors
Reynolds is a great leader in terms of enthusiasm and stuff but not sure if he has respect of the referees and stuff like that. He won't have the ability that Cameron Smith does like talking to referees then getting then next 3 penalties 50/50 calls. I like Lawrence as captain but not sure how many years he has left in him. I would go with Elijah Taylor the bloke tackles his but off and comes across as someone who would have respect with referees.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
To be a good captain I would say the boxes that need to be ticked are:

1. Be a 100% selection for every week of the year.
2, Lead by example both on and off the field (Cannot stress the off field leadership enough)
3. Plays enough minutes, otherwise you would need a co-captain
4. Has the respect of players, referees and fans
5. Has the temperament to be able to approach referees and possibly manipulate when needed while under extreme stress.

If Rowdy ticks box 1, he gets my vote, I don't care if it is for one year, it will be a transitional year where a steady rudder and calming influence will be needed.

Alternately if Reynolds can limit the brain snaps and tick box 5, I would back him in as a long term captain from next year onwards.

Maybe to cover both bases it could be Lawrence/Reynolds co captains. I could live with that. After the clear lack of leadership over the last couple of years, either would be a great improvement with what looks to be a pretty good leadership group forming for next year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lawrence as captain is not moronic. It gives Reynolds to get acquainted at the club. Reynolds gas more than enough challenges to deal with next year. I think it would be unfair on him to make him captain as well. Let hin settle in and just focus on his own game in the first year. We will still be rebuilding next year as well.

Reynolds as captain beyond 2018 is fine by me.

Clifferd

Coach
It's not like Reynolds is new to rugby league at all

My general conscious is he is easy to get along with therefore the being accepted by his new team mates shouldn't be an issue

RTS at the warriors was appointed captain and from him speaking he can barely even speak English

Hoofhearted

Juniors
When Cleary signed Taylor to the Panthers he said he was a future Captain of the club, so obviously the coach has a high opinion of ET as a leader.I suppose it all depends on the type of culture he is trying to build and who suits that best. Reynolds would be great as he shows a lot of passion, problem is that he might spend 10 mins in the bin each week for getting in the refs face. ET comes across as the lead by example type (look at when he got belted by Burgess and didn't even batter an eyelid, just kept playing)) and I think this is more in Cleary's style.

Latest posts