What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NSWRL Senior Comps - ISP, Flegg, RMC, Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbw

Bench
Moorebank seem to have been getting better and better in the SS. Good to see Brad Morrin doing well.
I think SS is out of St Marys, East Campbelltown, Wenty and Moorebank all with a good chance.

Wenty seem to be the favs in Massey, CGB seem to be having their typical fall from grace after starting the season well. Mounties will be in the mix and Cabra will have a chance depending on how their havles play each game.

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
I'll tell you, Moorebank has continued to surprise the hell out of me this year.

We look at the matches, and see the boys have tough matches ahead.
All they do is get the job done. It's so good, the team's bonded so well this season.

I'm definitely looking forward to us playing Saints on Sunday.

rightleftin

Juniors
I'll tell you, Moorebank has continued to surprise the hell out of me this year.

We look at the matches, and see the boys have tough matches ahead.
All they do is get the job done. It's so good, the team's bonded so well this season.

I'm definitely looking forward to us playing Saints on Sunday.

What are Moorebank going to do next year when the Sydney Shield comp is abolished?

imgunawin72

Juniors
Quite a few players from RMC/SS clubs played for NSW Universities today:

Dylan Izzard (Wenty), Rob Tuliatu and Taylor Bennett (Asquith), Matt Jurd and Jess Offen Maxwell (Glebe Burwood), Billy Butler and Matthew Morgan (Hills), Malachi Morgan (Moorebank), Jak Cannel (Brothers) and Jake Johan (Blacktown)
How did they go against the QLD universities team?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't really believe timmah saying that " I don't believe there will be SS next year " is definitive. Just their opinion, there is too big a gap for the young blokes between the local A grade comps and RMC, SS fills that gap nicely.
At no point did I express any level of certainty about my understanding of what was happening - in that post I outlined it was only a belief, and a few posts later I said "but I'm not sure" at the end of a sentence.

It may well continue beyond this season.

I can only speculate on what I've heard and the closest I have to any news on it is that there *was* some suggestion of a beefed up A-Grade comp in Shield's place but that's still vague

Last edited:

imgunawin72

Juniors
At no point did I express any level of certainty about my understanding of what was happening - in that post I outlined it was only a belief, and a few posts later I said "but I'm not sure" at the end of a sentence.

It may well continue beyond this season.

I can only speculate on what I've heard and the closest I have to any news on it is that there *was* some suggestion of a beefed up A-Grade comp in Shield's place but that's still vague
I would be very surprised if SS finishes at the end of this season, as I said I think the gap between the local A grade comps and RMC is too big for the young blokes.
If SS didn't exist a lot of the young blokes would drop off from playing,

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I would be very surprised if SS finishes at the end of this season, as I said I think the gap between the local A grade comps and RMC is too big for the young blokes.
If SS didn't exist a lot of the young blokes would drop off from playing,
I'd agree if Flegg hadn't come in but I think it's the direction NSWRL will probably go in.

rightleftin

Juniors
That's interesting, as Flegg has merely replaced NYC and thus not added to the playing base compared to previous years the rationale for axing SS appears to be is that the NSWRL has to administer a comp that previously under the NRL and the admin demands are such that it needs to get rid of another comp.

RMC clubs need 25 or more players of RMC standard due to injuries etc so the raison d'etre for the SS (apart from the independent SS clubs) is to house those additional players so they ready to slot in when required. It is fair to say that the SS standard has fallen away this year, especially with the withdrawal of Mounties, who always had strong teams, but even so the top 5 are much better than the pub teams they would play if SS disappeared.

MountainMan

Juniors
That's interesting, as Flegg has merely replaced NYC and thus not added to the playing base compared to previous years the rationale for axing SS appears to be is that the NSWRL has to administer a comp that previously under the NRL and the admin demands are such that it needs to get rid of another comp.

RMC clubs need 25 or more players of RMC standard due to injuries etc so the raison d'etre for the SS (apart from the independent SS clubs) is to house those additional players so they ready to slot in when required. It is fair to say that the SS standard has fallen away this year, especially with the withdrawal of Mounties, who always had strong teams, but even so the top 5 are much better than the pub teams they would play if SS disappeared.
Mounties SS ...a true bridesmaid team if Ive ever seen one.Never the bride unfortunately.
Both competitions have faded over the years and i think that has alot to do with the age bracket.Going back say 10 years,every team was old heads,has beens,fringe players and then only a handful of younger players.Where as the past 2-3 years is 90% younger players and a handful of older heads.Far less physicality etc.

rightleftin

Juniors
Mounties SS ...a true bridesmaid team if Ive ever seen one.Never the bride unfortunately.
Both competitions have faded over the years and i think that has alot to do with the age bracket.Going back say 10 years,every team was old heads,has beens,fringe players and then only a handful of younger players.Where as the past 2-3 years is 90% younger players and a handful of older heads.Far less physicality etc.

Yeah Mounties always failed at the final hurdles in SS but they provided a consistently good standard throughout the length of the season.

You are spot on about the lack of experienced squads and the youth explosion. In the past a lot of players would be with clubs 5-10 years and maintaining the standard while others would move from club to club. It is no coincidence that the constant turnover of players and lowering of standards is perfectly correlated with the takeover of most of the clubs by NRL sides.

It is a pity that Guildford have fallen in a hole in recent weeks. It was great to see a non aligned club signing a few experienced players sitting at the top of the ladder.

rightleftin

Juniors
Challenge Cup Final - Dubbo CYMS 62 Guildford 18. Quite a few SS players were in the Guildford team. Matt Ryan is out for the season, Josh Lewis and Mitch Achurch did not play.

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
What are Moorebank going to do next year when the Sydney Shield comp is abolished?
I'm gonna be honest, we have absolutely no clue. We'd like to, but it's up to the club to put us forward.
We're still unsure if Shield will be terminating. I'd like to see it continue. Gives the Jersey Flegg blokes a new platform to play against more solid blokes.

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC

Glebe Burwood 38 Blacktown 28
Brothers 26 Cabra 26
Wenty 42 Hills 14
Mounties 22 Hills 16
Asquith 36 Wests 10

Brothers will be very pleased with another point, largely influenced by flawless goal kicking by Kurt Falls. Asquith scored 5 tries in the first half and scored another after a long period of defence to lead 28-0 before Wests got a few consolations. Apparently the Blacktown coach is on report following the game against Glebe Burwood.

Cabra has picked up some players over the last few weeks:

* Jake Steadman - who scored quite a few tries for Mounties last season before being sent back to SS for the finals. He also kicks goals
* Cleveland McGhie - played for Raiders U20's last season, and
* Zac Mackay - been playing Shute Shield with Eastwood for a couple years. Scored 38 points in one game for Penrith in NYC with 4 tries and 11 goals.

Mounties appears to have had availability problems this week with 7 RMC regulars Henry Rawalui, Omar Slaimankhel, Jordan Martin, Steve Tavita, Jarrett Boland, Joel Luani and Josh Saunders Jones all travelling to NZ to play ISP. The benchmen Boland, Luani and Saunders Jones backed up against St Marys today.

Cabra 44 Brothers 16
Wenty 52 Hills 6
Moorebank 36 St Marys 32
East Campbelltown 40 Asquith 20
Blacktown 36 Belrose 10

rightleftin

Juniors
SS

Cabra 44 Brothers 16
Wenty 52 Hills 6
Moorebank 36 St Marys 32
East Campbelltown 40 Asquith 20
Blacktown 36 Belrose 10

Moorebank are showing they are real contenders with back to back wins against the 2 heavyweights. Austin Dias was one of their try scorers today after moving over from Guildford SS.

A "Tony Williams" has been named in Wenty SS teams twice recently but then excluded from the final lineup. I am beginning to think this is code used by Wenty coach Simon Greaves. On the first occasion the player that took the field was Valu Nasio, returning from retirement and today Mitch Stanfield, who has played 360 games for Wenty, returned from retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts