What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Tests - TV Details

jim_57

Staff member
FFS

So the Kiwis going the whole year only playing England and Australia.

I seem to remember NZ were set to tour France a few years back. That turned in to a tour of England with a game or two against France. That turned in to a 3 game series against England and a game against Leeds.

I wonder if it's a NZ problem or a France problem or both.

43450106_10156731789989583_2097915842753724416_n.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
International league has went from rating as well as SOO in the early 90s to rating little more than a regular high profile NRL match today. I think that about sums up the situation.

A single game selling out doesn’t really change that fact. Rugby league in Australia has declined massively and in NZ it’s hard to argue the international game is thriving.

That’s not sky is falling stuff that’s just a fact. The game isn’t dead but it has been left to stagnate and we haven’t capitalised in its potential.

Edit: I’ll admit that data is cherry picked. Still it’s hard to deny that international league has significantly declined in the last few decades.
If the World Cup hadn't been the relative success it was last year I'd agree with you.

I'll certainly back that the efforts to capitalise on the RLWC success haven't been up to scratch but the panic and doomsday in your posts is an over-reach. Growing International footy is a long-game type thing - hopefully we're heading in the right direction. The rise of Tonga, for example, is evidence of that IMO

Springs09

Juniors
If the World Cup hadn't been the relative success it was last year I'd agree with you.

I'll certainly back that the efforts to capitalise on the RLWC success haven't been up to scratch but the panic and doomsday in your posts is an over-reach. Growing International footy is a long-game type thing - hopefully we're heading in the right direction. The rise of Tonga, for example, is evidence of that IMO

Relative to what? Last year's World Cup was not as successful as 2013, and did not match expectations. Promotion, scheduling and prices left a lot to be desired.

The rise of Tonga did not come about from efforts to grow the international game, it came about through a few player's pride in their heritage, which got Tongan supporters onside 100 times as much as anything the RLIF or any other governing bodies have done. If we'd actually done something to get these countries more annual games and tournaments, the Tongan revolution might have happened much earlier.

If it was 2014 I would agree with you, but the last 4 years have been piss poor from all parties. Australia have sat out tournaments twice, we've had an underwhelming UK 4 Nations in 2016 and an underwhelming RLWC from Australia and NZ last year. England and NZ seem content to play each other only and the after last year's spectacle the King of Tonga had to ring the NRL to get his team a game this year.

We've done very little to grow the international game this year. Australia v Tonga and that's about it. The Denver Test failed, World Cup teams Fiji, Samoa, Italy and Lebanon are doing shit all, PNG are playing a reserve team and France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the USA are playing in the same old small-time tournaments they always do. The Emerging Nations tournament has been our biggest tournament and it's played at St Marys and Cabramatta.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Denver test failed?

20k in an untapped market is a phenomenal result.

As for the rest, you'll find I agree with you that it seems to have stumbled a bit this year, but I still believe last year's tournament did well in raising the profile of the international game.

Exsilium

First Grade

Agreed.

Of course, some of that crowd will be there out of pure curiosity this time around but America loves sport, everything from sport fishing to NFL, NBA etc.

If the game continues to have fixtures there and keep exposing the general population to the game, then I think their love of sport and spectacles could see a peak in interest.

It won’t be easy but these games need to happen to give it any traction.

I’d love to see a Samoa v Tonga game over in San Francisco, they have a high number of Pacific Islanders in their demographic. Hayne did his thing there too which should really be a stepping stone.

Springs09

Juniors
Denver test failed?

As for the rest, you'll find I agree with you that it seems to have stumbled a bit this year, but I still believe last year's tournament did well in raising the profile of the international game.

I agree, but I didn't mean like that. The Denver Test failed in what it's goals were, an annual event leading up to the RLWC 2025 in the US. In the end the promoter couldn't even pay England and NZ and it was scrapped after one year. 20k is good, but we can't build on a one-off game 7 years out from when we are supposed to have the World Cup there.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Kiwis have named a strong side to take on Australia:

CB0EBAA6-0156-4053-A9DE-3663866D83CE.jpeg

Obviously a few guys injured RTS, Tohu Harris, Luke and NAS in particular. Really don’t get the Kevin Proctor love, Tapine is a much better player.

Interested to see who lines up at right center on Latrell, both Marsters and Manu play right for their club.

With a whole new spine for Australia reckon the Kiwis will give them a run for their money

Latest posts