What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Women's Origin - NSW 16-10 QLD @ North Sydney

Women's Origin: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eion

First Grade
A crowd of 6k says otherwise

It's entertaining enough to be stand alone but the reality is, the general public interest isn't there yet. It's easy to forget the organised women's game is still very young.

The curtain raiser for SoO is usually u18s right. Maybe keep it like that and in the future the format will be like this weekend for every SoO game. The problem as always is what to do with the NRL matches. Three weekends per season with no NRL being played is unacceptable.
Mate it was a rip roaring success and will grow from here. 6 k is fine and better than what manly can rustle up at the moment. I bet the TV numbers are good.

It will go backwards before the men’s with next to no media interest and it’ll be hard to watch. Don’t know about you, but I’d struggle to park my arse for 4 hours straight.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Just want to say a big thanks to all LU formerers for showing a keen interest in this game, from both sides of the border.

With minimal attention to the thread before the game, I feared that it was going to be a case of "it's just women playing....who cares".

Well over 200 posts has proven me somewhat wrong.

Thanks again.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Judging by FB this was the first amyone had ever seen of the women's game. The ratings are going to be very interesting.

Based on that performance they will be wanting to come back for more.

The general public has been scarred by the dogs vomit womens ozzie rules. Quality Rugby League is a welcome change. Couple that with the passion of Origin, and the NRL have a serious winner on their hands.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The person suggesting a crowd of 6k (6.8 which is actually closer to 7k) is rubbish give yourself a triple.

NSO doesn't accommodate huge crowds anymore, and for a pioneering concept (i.e. standalone fixture) for the Women's game, it's done phenomenally well. It's only 50 less people than an elite men's club fixture played six days ago.

Well done to the NSW girls, was a great finish.

What a good game. Wish the NRL was that 'fun' and free flowing.

All the Sydney teams should be mandated to have at least some players attend. Poor form if they didn't.

Toddy should be sacked over this

I initially thought the same, but then though it's actually about the ladies let them have the spotlight.

Imagine either NRL players or male SOO players showing up, it would of been eyes on them by some fans and photos with them at the end, rather than getting the ladies signing balls and taking photos at the end.

I hope they all watches it at home though.

Dave_

Juniors
Fantastic game. I was was watching it with 2 sheilas and they were glued to the screen I awe for the whole match.

Tough game and top effort there by the 2 holes

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The person suggesting a crowd of 6k (6.8 which is actually closer to 7k) is rubbish give yourself a triple.

NSO doesn't accommodate huge crowds anymore, and for a pioneering concept (i.e. standalone fixture) for the Women's game, it's done phenomenally well. It's only 50 less people than an elite men's club fixture played six days ago.

Well done to the NSW girls, was a great finish.
I was going on what came up on the Channel Nein broadcast. They said 6842 and I wasn't going to count heads watching the game from 750 kms away.

Spade

Juniors
Good game but why the f**k wouldn’t they play 80.. they want to play the sport play the 80

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Good game but why the f**k wouldn’t they play 80.. they want to play the sport play the 80
Because they currently play 60. If you want to ruin the spectacle, by all means, ask them to play 80.

Travitoh

First Grade
A bit under 7k paying spectators suggests to me that the girls will do just fine on their own.

Friday night before the men on Sunday seems to work based on last nights sample and I'm curious if a Thursday night after the men on Wednesday could too. Maybe not as well in attendance but tv wise, Thursday is already a NRL timeslot.

I feel that it'd be more important to see how they go over a three game series first before the NRL look into having the women play 80.

This Year?

Immortal
I didn't know what to expect before watching the game on TV and after watching I was entertained and also surprised with the skill level and the toughness of the women's game. This game can only get better and the women's game will definitely grow. No longer are women seen in the game as mums and sisters and wives of players which is wonderful to see.

Latest posts