What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel

Referee
Origin is over and our run is over, once again.

July 14 is pretty early to start planning for next year but this is the Warriors.

Time to blood whoever is here from 2018 and beyond and drop anyone leaving.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Origin is over and our run is over, once again.

July 14 is pretty early to start planning for next year but this is the Warriors.

Time to blood whoever is here from 2018 and beyond and drop anyone leaving.

I'm almost the opposite. I want to see our ISP forwards especially stay in what seems to be a more committed team environment where they play for each other. P Sipley, Satae and Papalii will benefit more from getting bigger minutes in a more structured team. The rabble in first grade will just corrupt them.

Diesel

Referee
First grade is f**ked and has been for a long time.

We can't even get props to come to the club

legs 11

Juniors
So many things to fix.
Top 5 for me.
1: Fitness
2: Communication
3: Defensive structure
4: Accountability
5: Mental Toughness.

only 1 easy fix and that is fitness , the rest are major problems which have to start with the game in nz from schoolboys upwards......our system is not up to it......radical changes are required or we should just target youngsters from aussie system or else union players from here in nz....

Big Marn

Juniors
kinda dealing with the same problems the Aussie super rugby franchises are having. Think NZ teams are 26-0 against them. but they also spread their talent too thin, over 5 teams. They need to be shot of 3 maybe 4 teams to get the talent pools in fewer teams to be competitive.
Our problems are starting at grass roots levels. We have excellent young talent but the smart parents get their kids into Aussie schools and systems so they get the best grounding and coaching and competition (where being big doesnt mean you are good).
We will never be able to combat that back here in NZ.

Rich102

Staff member
We can combat it very quickly if we can identify the talent early and pay for scholarships to Australian "football" schools. Tying the youngster into playing for the Warriors on graduation.
Trouble is, since Ackland left, we don't seem to have anyone who can recognise young talent. Look at the demise of our U20's.

Meth

Staff member
My enthusiasm for the Warriors is pretty low. Union is much more interesting- with the Lions tour and the Crusaders going so well at the moment.

I can't even bring myself to look forward to next week, let alone next season.

JJ

Immortal
I hope Harris is well paid for throwing his career away. If I was him I'm be frantically trying to find a way out.

Blair

Coach
My enthusiasm for the Warriors is pretty low. Union is much more interesting- with the Lions tour and the Crusaders going so well at the moment...

I've got a Kiwi acquaintance who just wants to talk union when he bumps into me. Most of the time I have no idea what he's on about and I've begun to avoid him and have become quite adept at it.

You should watch your friends/acquaintances closely to see if, when approaching you, they're showing behaviour such as suddenly answering their phone with a 'Mike!' (obvious bullshit, everyone makes up a 'Mike' - or 'Dave', or 'John', when they're under pressure) or 'Derek' (no one knows a 'Derek' anymore and, under pressure, a man of a certain age will suddenly remember a 'Derek' from school).

The other biggie, but more subtle, is when they exit a shop, they inch their way out, looking both ways, it guarantees you don't get sprung by a union-obsessed bore coming down the street. If you see him you can edge your way back in, unnoticed.

Blair

Coach
When did our run begin?

That's a good point actually, in the last five, rubbish seasons we've at least had 'a run', geez, we were top four in 2015 when Johnson went down.

In 2017 we didn't even get 'a run' to get excited about.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ok things I'd look at for 2018:

1: Player cleanout. The only guys in the 2017 side I'd say are absolutely safe are Simon, SJ, RTS, Gavet and CNK. I'd persevere with Ata, Fus, Lisone, Aysh and Ken but the rest would be asked to prove why they deserve to stay.
2: captaincy. I like RTS as a player, but he's not working as a captain. I'd be asking Simon to reconsider the captaincy again, or giving it to SJ.
3: couching staff. Kearney needs to be given one more year but the coaches below him need to go. Cappy can take a hike, Stacey gets promoted to FG assistance.
4: invest heavily in rugby union talent on the coaching staff. Particularly in the strength and conditioning, psychology and skills coaching side of things. All those areas where the ABs and the NZ Super rugby sides have an edge over everyone else. We have the talent in NZ, just not in League.

I listened to a podcast with a NFL fitness trainer, 2 things I took away:
Only correlation he could find with increased speed and gym work was the hexagonal dead lift (with drop)
921_1.jpg

And to prevent ACL and medial ligament damages the Vastus Medialis need to be targeted in training.
Quadriceps-Anatomy.jpg

Those with larger Vastus Medialis had less knee injuries in NFL.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There's n old dying thy you can't coach speed and I think it's largely true. However you can keep your quick guys at top performance level by ensuring they're not carrying excess bulk and the their endurance levels re up there so they're not gassed.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Everyone always points to fitness as something we lack in. I've never watched them train, and I haven't seen their yo-yo test results, their strength etc so I can't definitively comment

But to me, it's ability to play through pain and hardship, not physical fatigue. I doubt our guys are much different to the competition in terms of our pure physical fitness. Why would they storm back in Perth, on a bad timezone with travel, late in the game if they were physically unfit?

It's our mental fitness that is shot. Friday, they talk a big game how they're going to do it for Manu, come out of the blocks hard etc. But when Penrith hit back, they don't want to get into an arm wrestle for too long. We've done it once all season v the Roosters, and obviously they didn't enjoy it enough. Hey, the cheques still come in.

That to me is why we miss someone like Micheal Luck so much. He didn't let you slack, EVER. I did see him at training and he put up with zero shit, and the coach backed him up. If Kevin Locke was a dick, he paid him out in public. If someone was lazy, they'd get nailed. Mannering sets a similar on-field standard but doesn't have the talk to back it up.

That's why i'd go out and recruit the guy who is going to tell these guys to man up. He doesn't have to be a rep player. A Campion, a Luck, a guy who the coach says right - this guy is here for 3-4 years minimum. He's going to put up with no shit, and he's going to be vocal. Don't like it? There's 15 other clubs and more in the UK. At the moment there's zero f**kin accountability for the mental weakness that abounds. Issac Luke won't dress you down. Manu never would've. RTS won't. Hoff might've tried but did he have the backing of the coaching staff? That's what we miss to me. We had Campiion and Luck at the forefront setting examples with words and actions in our GF apperances. And it's irrelevant what nationality they are, it could be James Graham, Ruben Wiki during his days, anyone.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Spot on Penrose. I actually think SJ wants to be that guy, but he gets written off with the princess tag.

Latest posts