What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
Less considering they’ve got the population of a suburb.

Why was this moved to Leichhardt? It worked so well at Campbelltown and always had a good atmosphere. Granted it was always going to have less fans this year with Tonga playing in NZ but it looks and sounds very poor compared to the couple I have been to.

Fair comment. Change of ground was a factor plus inclement weather I suspect. No Tonga reduced numbers however that's offset by a decent crowd in Auckland for the Kiwis v Tonga. So a bit to work on for rep round as far scheduling match ups and ground allocation is concerned.

beave

Coach
PNG should be allowed to have a game in Moresby IMO. Make it a 3pm kick off, then NZ tonga at 5:30, then the 3rd game at 7:30pm. The problem is getting the 6th team competitive, not sure how long this Lebanon concept can keep going. Although upon looking, the stadium in Moresby does seem to have substantial lighting so you could have that as 7:30pm game. Not sure of the logistics getting camera crews up there or if you utilise local crews. Whatever, you get my point.

Burns

First Grade
PNG should be allowed to have a game in Moresby IMO. Make it a 3pm kick off, then NZ tonga at 5:30, then the 3rd game at 7:30pm. The problem is getting the 6th team competitive, not sure how long this Lebanon concept can keep going. Although upon looking, the stadium in Moresby does seem to have substantial lighting so you could have that as 7:30pm game. Not sure of the logistics getting camera crews up there or if you utilise local crews. Whatever, you get my point.
PNG will be playing Great Britain at the end of the year in Port Moresby, and have read that the 2020 Oceanic Cup games may be split between Australia and Papua New Guniea.

Billythekid

First Grade

Hopefully we can get to the point where most of the games involving PNG are in Moresby. A packed out 15K there looks fantastic and is a great advertisement for the game (even if it isn’t making a ton of money). You could potentially have Fiji and PNG alternate home games and try to develop a rivalry (which literally writes itself with one being in NSW cup and the other in the QLD cup).

The problem is you want to see Samoa, Tonga and NZ all playing but you can’t have that happen in a 1 off match. I’m not sure what the best solution is.

I do know that double and triple headers (held in Australia) aren’t the answer and just cheapen the whole thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully we can get to the point where most of the games involving PNG are in Moresby. A packed out 15K there looks fantastic and is a great advertisement for the game (even if it isn’t making a ton of money). You could potentially have Fiji and PNG alternate home games and try to develop a rivalry (which literally writes itself with one being in NSW cup and the other in the QLD cup).

The problem is you want to see Samoa, Tonga and NZ all playing but you can’t have that happen in a 1 off match. I’m not sure what the best solution is.

I do know that double and triple headers (held in Australia) aren’t the answer and just cheapen the whole thing.

It is clearly done to appease fox and make it cheap to screen. Nrl needs to grow some and let the clubs play in their home countries. Either that or really bite the bullet, play them at Bankwest and really make a great day of it and create a must attend international event at the stadium. Playing it at some suburban dump in front of less than 9k cheapens the whole concept.

unforgiven

Bench
It is clearly done to appease fox and make it cheap to screen. Nrl needs to grow some and let the clubs play in their home countries. Either that or really bite the bullet, play them at Bankwest and really make a great day of it and create a must attend international event at the stadium. Playing it at some suburban dump in front of less than 9k cheapens the whole concept.
NRL? Are these games the responsibility of the NRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thank you mate! I thought the Oceania cup was a RLIF intiative?

Sorry I was talking about this weekends one off games. Not sure re Oceania Cup, nrl did have an agreement re paying PI rep players but not sure if this includes all comps or just the rep weekend games they are running.

unforgiven

Bench
Sorry I was talking about this weekends one off games. Not sure re Oceania Cup, nrl did have an agreement re paying PI rep players but not sure if this includes all comps or just the rep weekend games they are running.
2 games this weekend were part of the Oceania Cup!