What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Rooster8

Juniors
Good crowds over the weekend
It was. Good to see the support of the game.

But, for really good crowds each week, say 85% or more capacity consistently- what needs to happen? Etc all tv rights to fox sports? NRL to commission ticket prices for league games to be cheaper? Obviously work and transport are two huge factors, so maybe putting fans before tv stations would be a good start, and scrapping thursday night and friday 6pm footy. What else?

t-ba

Post Whore
It was. Good to see the support of the game.

But, for really good crowds each week, say 85% or more capacity consistently- what needs to happen? Etc all tv rights to fox sports? NRL to commission ticket prices for league games to be cheaper? Obviously work and transport are two huge factors, so maybe putting fans before tv stations would be a good start, and scrapping thursday night and friday 6pm footy. What else?

It might be that Tv makes more money than attending fans?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It might be that Tv makes more money than attending fans?

At a club level of revenue generation that depends entirely on how many fans attend. Avg 20k plus and revenue from fan activity becomes greater than the $13million tv money.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
At a club level of revenue generation that depends entirely on how many fans attend. Avg 20k plus and revenue from fan activity becomes greater than the $13million tv money.

Knights average 20k and I doubt their fan money is anywhere near $13m

Would need to average about 35k with 25k season ticket holders to get that kind of revenue per head..

t-ba

Post Whore

Yeah well seeing as how that would requiee each fan to be bringing in $50 a head AFTER expenses are accounted for I call bullshit.

That, and the fact 20k a game without fail is a fantastical number unless you are Brisbane...

Stallion

First Grade
Yeah well seeing as how that would requiee each fan to be bringing in $50 a head AFTER expenses are accounted for I call bullshit.

That, and the fact 20k a game without fail is a fantastical number unless you are Brisbane...

Think big crowds do achieve many positive flow on effects. It enables greater league's club revenue after home games, more relevance with the locals, more interest from the kids and greater atmosphere at games and on tv. So 20000 plus crowds should not be seen as a fanciful pursuit. More over an achievable ambition or aim for all clubs .

t-ba

Post Whore
Think big crowds do achieve many positive flow on effects. It enables greater league's club revenue after home games, more relevance with the locals, more interest from the kids and greater atmosphere at games and on tv. So 20000 plus crowds should not be seen as a fanciful pursuit. More over an achievable ambition or aim for all clubs .

Still won't be exceeding income from TV any time soon...

Unless the hit from TV revenue can be covered by a magical 33% increase in game day income there's not much of a justification for it.

We're a TV game, played primarily in the night at winter, with a pretty rubbish attendance culture by Anglosphere standards. We should be looking to get the product looking good, and if that means using appropriate sized venues to make the game look better on TV than so be it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Knights average 20k and I doubt their fan money is anywhere near $13m

Would need to average about 35k with 25k season ticket holders to get that kind of revenue per head..

When you include fanbase generated revenue ie
Memberships
Gate takings
Merchandise sales
20k plus is going to get you above $13million revenue

Perth Red

Post Whore

I don’t think you understand the concept of “revenue” lol

t-ba

Post Whore
I don’t think you understand the concept of “revenue” lol

I do.

But what good is revenue if it sucked up by expenses?

Fact is the income from $13m in revenue from TV money will far exceed the $13m in revenue from attendance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I do.

But what good is revenue if it sucked up by expenses?

Fact is the income from $13m in revenue from TV money will far exceed the $13m in revenue from attendance.

That $13mill comes with a lost opportunity cost to clubs. Like pokies its easy money so most clubs will never realise the revenue they could be generating from large crowds. I also suspect corporate box and sponsorship is adversely effected by empty stadiums or half full local parks.

Here’s what the biggest sports club in Australia earns from game day activity to give you a sense what is possible if you can draw massive crowds from a large fanbase

Gate takings $9.8mill
Membership $24.9mill
Corporate hospitality $13.4mill
Signage and advertising $4.5mill
Merchandise $3.9mill
Total $56.5mill

Their tv money was worth $11mill lol

Last edited:

bazza

Immortal
But, for really good crowds each week, say 85% or more capacity consistently- what needs to happen?
If you did want that to happen you would need
- games played at venues that give good viewing, protection from the weather, located near where the fans live/work and have good transport access
- Drop unfriendly times e.g. 6pm Friday & Thursday night (do extra promotion/cheap tickets for these games)
- Increase ticketed membership so at least 50% of the ground capacity is ticketed members

Stallion

First Grade
Apparently Penrith stadium is already a sellout! ? It holds 22000. What's the bet that the crowd figure will be less by a few thousand on game day!