What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

DC_fan

Coach
Leagues clubs. All the time Sydney clubs can pull $3-5million out of pokies to cover their losses they arent really going to care about fanbase. Its no surprise that the non pokie funded clubs are the ones sorting out stadia and growing memberships and crowds.

I cannot say for the bigger clubs, but I do know some small clubs are suffering from a lack of cash flow into pokies. So much so that they are being forced into amalgamation to survive. I am not sure that clubs today survive so much from pokies as they once did. I was at Panthers yesterday and it was packed. Not because people wanted to play the pokies,but because parents had brought their kids to see the Wiggles.

adamkungl

Immortal
People who use "it's better on TV" are just making themselves a nice cozy excuse to not bother properly supporting their club or the game.
It's bs and people who actually go to games shouldn't perpetuate it. Encourage your mates to go to games. Be a positive influence.

taipan

Referee
The difference in vision of the NRL is displayed early your post. The AFL planned for short term pain in terms of investment outlay for the creation of a greater long term footprint across Australia. After the VFL sent South Melbourne to Sydney, the Swans were in a financial heap and had no crowds in the late 80s/early 90s, but look where they are now. Arguably one of the strongest all round sporting teams in Sydney. The extra game created via expansion meant higher TV money to fund keeping these teams afloat until they are established and self sustaining.

The crowds across any expansion team has to be met with patience until they are established and multi generational. Worrying though how the butt of many a joke in GWS have better crowd averages than some Sydney NRL teams. You can bring along the 'crowd counter' excuse all you like but in real terms it shouldn't even be a conversation as they should be well behind NRL teams with 50 years+ of more history. Parra will get a good boost when their stadium is up and running and claim back the bragging rights in the west. Beggars belief how a team with constant success like the Roosters have such low crowds in the RL capital of the world.

I wouldn't have called it short term pain.The Swans have been here since 82 ,yes they are doing well, but it didn't happen overnight, ands they had SL ,plus club evictions and merges to assist.
The NRL does not have the money that the AFL does to squander or spend whatever as they do on the Gants and Suns.Nor should they spend like that.
If a Sydney club is in financial poo, the OK relocate ,whatever.But if they are financially viable ,the code is replacing Peter with Paul ,and even ch9 have advised 2023 the Tv climate for sport looks a lot ,more iffy pricewise.

GWS have a stadium ,an all seater AFL suited stadium ,something not afforded to some NRL clubs.Their crowds have been and continue to be overwhelmingly other teams.
As are Brisbane and the Suns.
The Storm did not get a =great stadium for quite a few years, and only because soccer was coming on board.
Anycase new stadium infrastructure in Sydney short and long term should greatly assist a growth in crowds. Parra stadium will be such an example.Which you have admitted will most likely be the case.

I agree crowds at Allianz have been ordinary but gee Thursday night,Friday 6 pm, you'd be lucky to catch a cold let alone a crowd there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I cannot say for the bigger clubs, but I do know some small clubs are suffering from a lack of cash flow into pokies. So much so that they are being forced into amalgamation to survive. I am not sure that clubs today survive so much from pokies as they once did. I was at Panthers yesterday and it was packed. Not because people wanted to play the pokies,but because parents had brought their kids to see the Wiggles.

One glance at Leagues clubs annual reports will tell you where 90% of revenue comes from. Its not wiggles concerts. Manly are the only LC doing it tough that Ive seen last year and had to sell some of their pokie licenses last year just to make ends meet and couldnt put any money into the NRL club.
Panthers, Eels, Dragons, Doggies etc are still pumping in many millions to cover losses.

taipan

Referee
Whose fault is that?

Greedy leagues club and incompetent management at both club and ARL/NRL level.And I include the Sharks in that respect,I"m at least a realist.
Our code had not a clue about how to lobby Govt.At least Smith knew something about lobbying (which I at least give him so credit for) and that has followed on with Greenberg .

And I wouldn't be bragging about Qld.The Titans have a stadium most Sydney clubs would kill for.and look at their crowds and memberships.With their population and big junior League they should be up there with the Rabbbits.Whose fault is that? Sydney?

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
One glance at Leagues clubs annual reports will tell you where 90% of revenue comes from. Its not wiggles concerts. Manly are the only LC doing it tough that Ive seen last year and had to sell some of their pokie licenses last year just to make ends meet and couldnt put any money into the NRL club.
Panthers, Eels, Dragons, Doggies etc are still pumping in many millions to cover losses.

To a cartain degree I will have to disagree with you. To use the Wiggles as an example, they had 8 shows over the weekend. I understand they were all booked out. That is a lot of people attending the club to just see them. Those people would have had a meal and something to drink, and the parents possibly input a few dollars into the poker machines. If the wiggles weren’t appearing then most of those people would not have been there. People, unless they pokie adicts do not go to a LC just because they have poker machines there.

franklin2323

Immortal
People who use "it's better on TV" are just making themselves a nice cozy excuse to not bother properly supporting their club or the game.
It's bs and people who actually go to games shouldn't perpetuate it. Encourage your mates to go to games. Be a positive influence.

It is impossible to go to every game. All I am saying is people can do what they want if they are a member they already do their bit

franklin2323

Immortal
Greedy leagues club and incompetent management at both club and ARL/NRL level.And I include the Sharks in that respect,I"m at least a realist.
Our code had not a clue about how to lobby Govt.At learnt smith knew something about lobbying (which I at least give him so credit for) and that has followed on with Greenberg .

And I wouldn't be bragging about Qld.The Titans have a stadium most Sydney clubs would kill for.and look at their crowds and memberships.With their population and big junior League they should be up there with the Rabbbits.Whose fault is that? Sydney?

Exactly. If you were to do a criteria...GC would be last.

franklin2323

Immortal
To a cartain degree I will have to disagree with you. To use the Wiggles as an example, they had 8 shows over the weekend. I understand they were all booked out. That is a lot of people attending the club to just see them. Those people would have had a meal and something to drink, and the parents possibly input a few dollars into the poker machines. If the wiggles weren’t appearing then most of those people would not have been there. People, unless they pokie adicts do not go to a LC just because they have poker machines there.

Same when a footy game is on nearby. Parra Leagues will be a huge benefit from WSS

M2D2

Bench
Didnt you once claim you live within walking distance of the SFS?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How are you going to work the averages for the R.9 magic round in Brisbane? I suspect that rounds total may not be that good.
For averages? Add the four crowds together and divide by 8.

Thu 20k
Fri 48k
Sat 35k
Sun 25-30k

That's 128k-130k territory, 16k per game average.

That said I'm not sure the average crowd is terribly important

STORM.99/07

Bench
I usually drive from Adelaide to Melbourne for Storm games at least 6 times a year. The nrl have stuffed that up with us playing 5 thurs night games this season.

M2D2

Bench
Busing distance perhaps. Maroubra to the SFS is a bit of a trek. Why?
Bit harsh to throw stones at people who say its a tv game when they dont even live in the same general area as the team they support like you do. I mean i agree that you should try and go to games, but to some its just a bridge too far (not just the spit hehehe) and a dollar too short, or have kids haha. And im sorry to break it to you, but they are kinda right, you dont miss much (of the game) if you watch it from your couch.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not saying it isnt a sizeable amount of revenue for the big clubs but in the grand scheme of a LC's revenue, venue hire, food and drink is only around 5-10% in most cases.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit harsh to throw stones at people who say its a tv game when they dont even live in the same general area as the team they support like you do. I mean i agree that you should try and go to games, but to some its just a bridge too far (not just the spit hehehe) and a dollar too short, or have kids haha. And im sorry to break it to you, but they are kinda right, you dont miss much (of the game) if you watch it from your couch.

When you have a catchment population of 500k-3million then you dont need everyone to be able to go. Just a very very small % of them. We just needs a bigger % than the current very very very small %!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I usually drive from Adelaide to Melbourne for Storm games at least 6 times a year. The nrl have stuffed that up with us playing 5 thurs night games this season.
Are you using two sets of books to count Thursdays?

R1, R7 (ANZAC Day), R10.

Three AAMI Park games on Thursday and one of them is because it's an event match.

There's a fourth Thursday night if you count an away game v Dragons in Wollongong.

adamkungl

Immortal

That's kinda the point though. A lot of people have fairly legit reasons, it's just not possible to travel from Rouse Hill to Moore Park for example for some timeslots, or finances don't allow, etc etc

So why perpetuate this extra reason for people who DO live close by and don't really have any other excuse?
The NRL and clubs could tick off every typical fan complaint and make tickets dirt cheap but what's the point when in the end "ahh f**k it it's better on TV anyway"

greenBV4

Bench
How are you going to work the averages for the R.9 magic round in Brisbane? I suspect that rounds total may not be that good.
I think for my stadiums crowd table im going to add up the total crowd for the week and divide that by 8, either way you do it has pros and cons, this way will lower the average but the other would bloat it a fair bit