What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

beave

Coach
Personally I don't think the "more away supporters" is a huge problem for a new club in a RL heartland so long as they really go hard at targetting young fans.

Gold Coast in particular would now have 15-20 year olds who have only ever been Titans fans. It'll always to be easier to get local youngsters on board then dyed-in-the-wool fans of other clubs to switch. For the record I've been to 5+ games a Cbus over the years and don't think they've ever been "outnumbered" for fans at any game I've been to. They do have a larger share of away fans for sure but being outnumbered is a bit of an exaggeration that gets thrown around.

Titans and any new club in QLD should be looking at membership incentives for local juniors even if it means giving away memberships and/or tickets for free or next to nothing for kids.

NQ fans outnumbered them last year in rd25 at Cbus by a massive margin. You could hear it through the tv as well. Even on the train and the walk to the ground it was noticeable that titans fans were in the minority by a fair way.

This is not slagging or having a shot either, it is what it is. I wanna see the GC get back to where they were, I just don’t know how they’re gonna do it.

Canard

Immortal
after going there on the weekend, I’m all for the sunny coast getting a team. There’s heaps of land around the current ground, population is growing pretty decently from all reports.

sidenote to ponder, there was a heap of NQ fans there, I walked along the eastern hill and it was unbelievable how many Cowbs jerseys and merch were to be seen, not sure if they were all local (i drove 2 hours from Springfield to get there so I’d say many others did the same). Would be interesting how well supported a local side would be

Sunny coast challenge is that whilst it's about the same population as NQ it has no defined "central location" and is (relatively) close to a major city with only 1 team.

For marketing, TV and crowd drawing criteria Brisbane 2 would blow it out of the park.

jim_57

Staff member
NQ fans outnumbered them last year in rd25 at Cbus by a massive margin. You could hear it through the tv as well. Even on the train and the walk to the ground it was noticeable that titans fans were in the minority by a fair way.

This is not slagging or having a shot either, it is what it is. I wanna see the GC get back to where they were, I just don’t know how they’re gonna do it.

That game is a bit of an outlier though for obvious reasons. The games I've been to there I've never seen Titans fans outnumbered, not saying it doesn't happen from time to time but I think it gets exaggerated a bit on here.

As for how they'll do it, I think consistent sucess on the field would be the major hurdle. They've been trash since they made the prelim in 2010, other factors certainly haven't helped either.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That game is a bit of an outlier though for obvious reasons. The games I've been to there I've never seen Titans fans outnumbered, not saying it doesn't happen from time to time but I think it gets exaggerated a bit on here.

As for how they'll do it, I think consistent sucess on the field would be the major hurdle. They've been trash since they made the prelim in 2010, other factors certainly haven't helped either.
Off the top of my head, that Cowboys game is supplemented by similar away fan dominance when the Warriors, Dragons and even Sharks come to town, and obviously the Broncos.

I think it would be a fair assessment that of teams 'core' fans attending home games, Titans are arguably the smallest

jim_57

Staff member
Off the top of my head, that Cowboys game is supplemented by similar away fan dominance when the Warriors, Dragons and even Sharks come to town, and obviously the Broncos.

I think it would be a fair assessment that of teams 'core' fans attending home games, Titans are arguably the smallest

Still I'd wager that maybe only the Broncos would "outnumber" them. Not saying the others wouldn't give it a push but to actually have over 50% of the crowd would be stretching it in most cases. I may be wrong, as a neutral though I don't really see it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Still I'd wager that maybe only the Broncos would "outnumber" them. Not saying the others wouldn't give it a push but to actually have over 50% of the crowd would be stretching it in most cases. I may be wrong, as a neutral though I don't really see it.
Whether they're over 50% isn't necessarily relevant to the argument, my point is that the Titans easily have the largest proportional attendance of away fans at most home games, therefore the core of home fans is smaller - as evidenced by their tiny membership numbers compared to all other clubs.

jim_57

Staff member
Whether they're over 50% isn't necessarily relevant to the argument, my point is that the Titans easily have the largest proportional attendance of away fans at most home games, therefore the core of home fans is smaller - as evidenced by their tiny membership numbers compared to all other clubs.

It is when people say they are outnumbered at home games, it's an exaggeration for the most part.

I agree with the rest though, I think it would be similar for a 2nd Brisbane team to start with too to be honest. Getting adults to change their allegiance is always going to be a tough slog in RL heartland. That's why engaging with youth is so important, Titans really could do with dirt cheap memberships for kids and free/cheap memberships or tickets for local RL juniors.

azza29

Juniors
Getting adults to change their allegiance is always going to be a tough slog in RL heartland.

Is it really a question of changing allegiance? If I moved to Surfers I'd probably end up supporting the Titans as my second team, and attend where I could, doubt I'd just make do with the occasional Storm away game.

IMO the Titans biggest hurdle is they are too much like a T20 Big Bash team, still in the process of forming club culture and character. And their ticket prices are insane.

BlueandGold

Juniors
I hope so. The tricky part will be what crowds the two ANZ games get in R2 and R4. If they break 20k each, almost certainly.

Rnd 2 at ANZ on Sunday is a Bulldogs home game.

Should be huge but will count towards dogs home Ave.

juro

Bench
Tickets for the Eels-Tigers Easter Monday game can now only be bought in groups of 3 for Bronze. Last week when I checked, you could buy a group of 10 tickets.

Silver is single tickets only.

Burns

First Grade
Tickets for the Eels-Tigers Easter Monday game can now only be bought in groups of 3 for Bronze. Last week when I checked, you could buy a group of 10 tickets.

Silver is single tickets only.
Now down to just Single Tickets only.

Last Week

Bench
Platinum seats are exhausted for the Eels v Dragons game there. Otherwise it seems to have plenty of available seats. Can still get 4 in a row in the Gold section.

Latest posts