What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
It was no where near what you suggested, and they wouldn't do that.
The Wanderers fans hate the joint, just like Eels fans did.
Here is a sign put up at Spotless tonight at the Wanderers game. Their last ever game at Spotless, though they still have a few games at ANZ. No doubt, their sentiment will be even worse there.
It just goes to show how diabolical stadium infrastructure is in this state. f**k the AFL and previous state govts for allowing this to occur.

Whom are "they"? And what wouldn't "they" do?

Stallion

First Grade
It was no where near what you suggested, and they wouldn't do that.
The Wanderers fans hate the joint, just like Eels fans did.
Here is a sign put up at Spotless tonight at the Wanderers game. Their last ever game at Spotless, though they still have a few games at ANZ. No doubt, their sentiment will be even worse there.
It just goes to show how diabolical stadium infrastructure is in this state. f**k the AFL and previous state govts for allowing this to occur.

The crowd for the Wanderers game was just under 8000. My visual estimates of the rugby union 7s at the same ground was around 8000. At no stage did the union 7s crowd appear above around 8000. The figure quoted (18000) must have been a PR stunt! Leading into the union 7s tournament one of the female players said on BSB radio "Friday was a sellout." (the number was in the low thousands if that , that turned up-maybe 3 or 4000).

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Yes and the majority support the away team.

At least they are catering to a market in that area. It's a crucial part of the rugby league landscape. Junior numbers are comparatively big compared to other clubs. They just require a winning team and things will improve markedly.

Sharkman05

Juniors
At least they are catering to a market in that area. It's a crucial part of the rugby league landscape. Junior numbers are comparatively big compared to other clubs. They just require a winning team and things will improve markedly.
I agree and think they should be in the comp, it just surprises me the Sunshine Coast aren’t ever talked about in relation to the NRL.

The amount of small regional towns that have had a regular season game before the Sunshine Coast seems strange, Melbourne should consider playing games as the Sunshine Coast falcons are a feeder club for them.

All of the trials in the last few years have been incredible well supported and after this seasons first regular season game hopefully people will see that the support is there and more games will be played which may eventually lead to an upgraded stadium and even one day their own team.

The Coast is growing rapidly, shows no signs of slowing down and I believe a national men’s sporting franchise could be successful.

Valheru

Coach
I agree and think they should be in the comp, it just surprises me the Sunshine Coast aren’t ever talked about in relation to the NRL.

The amount of small regional towns that have had a regular season game before the Sunshine Coast seems strange, Melbourne should consider playing games as the Sunshine Coast falcons are a feeder club for them.

All of the trials in the last few years have been incredible well supported and after this seasons first regular season game hopefully people will see that the support is there and more games will be played which may eventually lead to an upgraded stadium and even one day their own team.

The Coast is growing rapidly, shows no signs of slowing down and I believe a national men’s sporting franchise could be successful.

Do you think the local population will adopt the proposed franchise or do you think it will be like the GC where all the away teams get heaps of support?

I’d still stick a second team in Brisbane first though - joke that there’s only one team in a city the size of Brisbane but have 876 clubs in sydney. Can’t think of another competition in the world that has that many teams at the ELITE level in one city

Stallion

First Grade
I’d still stick a second team in Brisbane first though - joke that there’s only one team in a city the size of Brisbane but have 876 clubs in sydney. Can’t think of another competition in the world that has that many teams at the ELITE level in one city

Your point about Brisbane requiring another team is fine and long overdue for the code . Respecting the well established clubs that are the cornerstone of this competition might improve your logic about the well known and well respected Sydney based clubs. These clubs are crucial for existing longstanding supporter bases and credibility of this envied competition.(the most popular domestic rugby competition in the world bar none) Might add that London has a decent number of top flight soccer clubs in the English Premier League. Both these cities are the highest populated areas of their respective countries.

jim_57

Staff member

It would be a longshot going it alone, but as others have mentioned a "
'Moreton Bay' side targetting North East Brisbane, Redcliffe, Sunny Coast etc would be right up there as a chance.

Ideally for me the 2nd 'Brisbane' team would be either that model or an "West"/Ipswich/Logan team (see Western Corridor bid). Either way a new team would be mad not to try and tap in to a couple of the surrounding markets like Ipswich, Sunny Coast and Toowomba, not just be a City Broncos clone.

Stallion

First Grade

Absolutely! Perhaps an additional clubs called the Moreton Bay Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins would be well worth an inclusion. However it's the Broncos that are stopping such a common sense move.

King hit

Coach
Absolutely! Perhaps an additional clubs called the Moreton Bay Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins would be well worth an inclusion. However it's the Broncos that are stopping such a common sense move.

Yet the courier mail constantly say it’s the Sydney centric NRL run by QLD’s ex premieres fault for no Brisbane expansion.

Stallion

First Grade
Yet the courier mail constantly say it’s the Sydney centric NRL run by QLD’s ex premieres fault for no Brisbane expansion.

Courier Mail owned by same company that owns the Broncos. Unless that's changed recently? A blame game suits the Broncos as it deflects and stalls on a much needed and required additional team out of Brisbane.

Sharkman05

Juniors
Do you think the local population will adopt the proposed franchise or do you think it will be like the GC where all the away teams get heaps of support?
I think they would but you will always have a higher percentage of away support in an area which has a high percentage of people that have moved from other areas. I as one of those people who support another team would definitely attend most of not all games as I miss watching live footy and it’s too hard to drive down to Brisbane to watch.

beave

Coach
after going there on the weekend, I’m all for the sunny coast getting a team. There’s heaps of land around the current ground, population is growing pretty decently from all reports.

sidenote to ponder, there was a heap of NQ fans there, I walked along the eastern hill and it was unbelievable how many Cowbs jerseys and merch were to be seen, not sure if they were all local (i drove 2 hours from Springfield to get there so I’d say many others did the same). Would be interesting how well supported a local side would be

King hit

Coach
after going there on the weekend, I’m all for the sunny coast getting a team. There’s heaps of land around the current ground, population is growing pretty decently from all reports.

sidenote to ponder, there was a heap of NQ fans there, I walked along the eastern hill and it was unbelievable how many Cowbs jerseys and merch were to be seen, not sure if they were all local (i drove 2 hours from Springfield to get there so I’d say many others did the same). Would be interesting how well supported a local side would be

Do you think the Sunshine Coast could have the same problem as the Gold Coast does?. Both the Sunshine and Gold Coast's population are transiet with many ex pat southerners moving there, a good share of the people there on holiday and a wide variety of activities that the lifestyle there offers. This is my main worries about having a team on the Sunshine Coast.

jim_57

Staff member
Do you think the Sunshine Coast could have the same problem as the Gold Coast does?. Both the Sunshine and Gold Coast's population are transiet with many ex pat southerners moving there, a good share of the people there on holiday and a wide variety of activities that the lifestyle there offers. This is my main worries about having a team on the Sunshine Coast.

Personally I don't think the "more away supporters" is a huge problem for a new club in a RL heartland so long as they really go hard at targetting young fans.

Gold Coast in particular would now have 15-20 year olds who have only ever been Titans fans. It'll always to be easier to get local youngsters on board then dyed-in-the-wool fans of other clubs to switch. For the record I've been to 5+ games a Cbus over the years and don't think they've ever been "outnumbered" for fans at any game I've been to. They do have a larger share of away fans for sure but being outnumbered is a bit of an exaggeration that gets thrown around.

Titans and any new club in QLD should be looking at membership incentives for local juniors even if it means giving away memberships and/or tickets for free or next to nothing for kids.

Latest posts