2019 Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Gronk, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

well done Mitch, he was great all day, Guth not too shabby either

2. Twizzle

3. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Considering that Mal overseers all rep genres, Moses must be pretty close to snatching the 7 gig in the test team. DCE needs to watch his back.

Great rep series for all our Reps. Sivo was patchy bc of hogs inside him plus hi did not go looking for the ball.

Kornstar and Happy MEel like this.
  4. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

Moses showed what a great heads up player he is, which particularly suits nines, Cherry Evans I thought was pretty poor, but seemed to play his natural game which is far more controlled than Moses, but doesn't suit the format.

Moses' performance sure puts him in the frame, but I think he'll still need to consistently show his game has matured beyond his obvious attacking talent.

What I reckon he does have going for him , despite what those lovely Tigers chaps had to say when we signed him, is he's a real competitor, and f**king hates losing.

Happy MEel likes this.
  5. Tooooks

Tooooks Juniors

I reckon Moses will play test footy at some point in his career, especially if he keeps building on this season.

I know he still misses tackles, but his effort impresses me. He is always having a dig in defence and will often get up and make a tackle after missing it initially.

Gazzamatta and Eelementary like this.
  6. Happy MEel

Happy MEel First Grade

Moses’ stats aren’t great in defence but I don’t reckon too many of his misses led to line breaks this year. He does enough to stop/slow the attacker until help arrives.

Gazzamatta likes this.
  7. Eelementary

Eelementary Immortal

I don't think Mitch's defence is that bad, tbh.

He sometimes misses on initial contact, but he more often than not tries to complete the tackle.

Defence is about attitude, and I think Mitchell has the right attitude.

8. Avenger

Avenger Referee

You have to admire what Mitchell has been able to achieve this year. He has had a phenomenal turn around in form and most importantly attitude.

It’s also good that we as a club don’t have to worry about a halfback for the long term. And with Dylan Brown and the continual building of our forwards combined with the acquisition of a genuine strike centre and wingers we are entering a premiership window.

9. Kornstar

Kornstar Coach

It was quite shocking to me how little they went his way, it was like they didn’t bother trying to include such an attacking weapon into their game plan, to me it seemed like the plan was always to go the other way from where he was.

Poor coaching imo.

10. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

Im not over fussed or excited about Moses and the Nines. You knew before hand he would excel. He killed it. Australia would struggle without him, so congrats to him over the weekend

However, love him to play Origin or for Australia or both, if anything just for experience and learn how to craft (be patient, more street smart) an 80 min game in 13 man a side footy and bring that side of his game to Parra. As Avenger has said his attitude has changed , so hopefully can only get better at the eels

11. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah agree, from what I saw Api had chances to go to Sivo's side when it looked the best option but when the other way. Bit baffling.

Heard he only touched the ball once in their first game, and scored a try with it

12. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

If he’s at marker, he always jumps out and rushes the next runner. Again may not make effective tackle but that sort of effort helps slow opposition momentum, which is our biggest problem, and more of his teammates should follow his lead

13. Twizzle

Alfie and Lockyer couldn't defend for shit

14. parra pete

parra pete Coach

Was Dylan Brown injured? I did not see him line up where the 'thanks for coming' medals were handed out to the Kiwis..

15. Obscene Assassin

Obscene Assassin Bench

It's cause Api and kikau could only dream they played for Parra. Neither did anything and kikau was one of the worst of the tournament. For a player with his size, speed and skill he didn't know how to use it. Run hard first, look for an offload. Reminds me of Dave Taylor.

Happy MEel likes this.
  16. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

He's yet to prove he's not a downhill skier to be fair...

17. Kornstar

Kornstar Coach

I'd suggest all halves are downhill skiers when their forwards are shit.

18. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

All but the elite, for sure. But quality halves can turn a tight game where the pack performs solidly and Moses is yet to show, consistently at least, that he can do that IMO. He did it against St George I thought but other times he has struggled to have that same impact.

I certainly think we kept the right half. I'm just not getting carried away by his performances in games we've been on fire for and I think he has improvement in him.

19. Happy MEel

Happy MEel First Grade

Yep Kikau was terrible. His defence was atrocious. He’d have to go close to being the laziest merkin in the NRL.