What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 14-8 Raiders @ ANZ

Grand Final: Roosters v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gitano

Juniors
Was a great defensive effort in the second half. Even with 20 or 15 minutes to go,especially for the Raiders when they seemed to have had the Roosters pegged, I was saying "field goal"...that around the 20th min would have taken a lot out of Easts.

But main thing that should not be undermined is that it was a very good GF. Not a classic, but brutally competitive.

And congrats Horrie. Champs again. :)
We did it. So proud of the lads

TheFrog

Coach
A questionable call? The way it was called was questionable but the call was correct.
I can't tell who touched it. I thought Tedesco watching it but now they've watched it from umpteen different angles it seems it was a Raider. Cummins thought it was Tedesco too. It shits me that Tedesco, being considered the best player in the game, is also considered incapable of making an error. But that's beside the point.

The trouble here is the ref called 6 again, rightly or wrongly. What we don't need is a million voices in the ref's ear after making a call, as play goes on. Calls, once made, should be final, and usually are. This call should have been final. Changing a call during actual play is completely unprecedented, I've never seen it before in my life. We all knew that the way the game is reffed was going to lead to a tainted grand final one day.

This is really the first GF I can remember when you could ask yourself if the better side won, and the answer is no, probably not.

gitano

Juniors
If the ref gets that right from the start and wighton just gets tackled with the ball or kicks it dead and the roosters score off the next set id be very gracious and congratulatory on how well the roosters defended.

But as a fan of a side that has been mediocre for a long, long side we might not get another chance for 25 years. It just sucks to think what if on that last play.

Anyways congratulations roosters but raiders fans are gonna be living that f**k up forever
If me aunty had bollocks...

Roosters won

Raiders faded

To the victors go the spoils
Nobody remembers second.

The unknown

Juniors
A questionable call? The way it was called was questionable but the call was correct.

Why do you (and others) think the raiders would have scored when they failed to do so during the previous 30 minutes on the back of a 4-0 penalty count and a sin binning?

There is literally a rule that says changing a decision on the run is not allowed. It doesn't matter if they would have scored or not, they weren't given the chance

TheFrog

Coach
I knew a Roosters victory would prove to be another piss poor ending to a season, but oh boy is it sooo much worse than even I thought it would be lol.

The media tomorrow are going to have an absolute field day. We've probably just seen the end of the 2 referee system.

I am terrified for the health of my favorite sport.
I watched the Million Pound game from Toronto before the GF. One ref, no bunker. Relatively few stoppages, although mistakes crept in late in the match. No controversial calls, ref made a decision, it was final. Not much holding down in the play the ball and trying to strip the ball either. For a second tier Super League game it was of outstanding quality, easily NRL standard. The NRL bigwigs ought to take a look at this game.

GongPanther

Referee
They still needed to make tackles that weren’t made. No one to blame but themselves. Sure Ricky and LU will milk it for all its worth
Ppl will be demanding answers to questions that they won't like. After the game, the refs boss explained why, and I agree. Unfortunately, the Canberra players "switched off". And in a GF in any sport, switching off is a big no-no.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Ppl will be demanding answers to questions that they won't like. After the game, the refs boss explained why, and I agree. Unfortunately, the Canberra players "switched off". And in a GF in any sport, switching off is a big no-no.
No....players play the refs call which was initially 6 more....

When do refs go around changing their calls in the middle of plays. They don't. In fact they don't even when play breaks down.

That was a complete f**k up which Annelsey was trying to justify.

The 2 ref system is f***ed

GongPanther

Referee
No....players play the refs call which was initially 6 more....

When do refs go around changing their calls in the middle of plays. They don't. In fact they don't even when play breaks down.

That was a complete f**k up which Annelsey was trying to justify.

The 2 ref system is f***ed
Sorry Spock, the Raiders did have about 90 yards to stop them. It's not like the ruling was made 40 or 50 yards from the Canberra line. Canberra where obliged to play on just like Easts were, and their mindset should have switched directly from attack to defense straight away just like any other time in the match when possession was turned over.

Sure the refs confused the shit out of everyone, but I bet this is the last time this mistake happens again. From the refs and the players.

GongPanther

Referee
Mate I’ve heard Ben is privately fuming that he didn’t win the CCM. Single handedly won the match.
That is nothing in comparison to when Cam Smith won the Dally Messenger Award for "Referee Of The Year".

Good God, Cummins was literally tearing the wallpaper off the walls.

shear_joy9

Coach
So proud of this raiders team. Start of the season it was 50/50 whether they would make the finals and then they fight all the way to the final game.

Superb grand final as well.

GongPanther

Referee
Hahahahaha. A trainer stops a certain Raiders try and the referee stops the Raiders hot on the attack 10 metres out.

But the Roosters are the ones who had the adversity. Ok pal.
If one tried to play out that scenario again, and it would be many years before you would see an outcome like that again.

I've never seen it before, and I doubt I'll see it again. If anything, you would have to see a front on replay to check the trainers eye and body language to see if he meant it.

But even if he did, and the shoe was on the other foot, would you object?

Danish

Referee
Your analogy is terrible. All the decisions you cite have no effect on a live ball. If they call play on then call back for a knock on, it doesn’t matter what happened after they called play on, because the game is always coming back to a set piece, negating that play.

In this situation, it completely changed what happened in the play, and crucially the result of that play stood, rather than being negated as in all your other analogies. Rather than put in a second kick, Wighton took the tackle confident in the knowledge that there were 6 more to come.

It’s completely different you f**king simpleton.

So section 16.9 doesn’t actually prevent refs from correcting bad decisions then.

glad you are coming around

GongPanther

Referee
I just feel f**king empty aye. Gutted doesn't accurately describe it.

The six again blunder was disgraceful. But we had 54% of the ball and should have found the points. If Joey had passed to raps I think we go on with it and win.

The atmosphere was amazing and something I'll never forget. Mal starting the clap, the energy when Jack scored. The Roosters fans next to me were good sports as well. Friendly banter all game, shook hands and gave commiserations at the end.

Proud of the boys for an amazing year. Watching Jack and Papa grow into superstars has been special.

Anyway, losing a grand final sucks.
Thats the spirit lad. The Raiders will be wiser after this loss. Go through what you have to do and confront your feelings in how disappointed you feel. Feel angry,hurt, whatever. But take it on board that the Raiders will be battle hardened after this. Even better times after this from next season, the Raiders be even harder to play against.