What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Grand Final Entertainment

Xcalibre

Juniors
I don’t understand why they go for such generic pop bands past their due by date, when there are so many good local acts. The current era is possibly the best ever with bands like:

DZ Deathrays
Violent Soho
Press Club
Waax
Amyl and the Sniffers
Hockey Dad
Skeggss
DMAs
Bleeding Knees Club/Wax Witches

If the dogs made the gf they could get AATS to play this...

ACTPanthers

Bench
You reckon everyone knows who they are or more people?

Children, middle aged mums and dads ,Grandparents???

Maybe you’re tiny demographic with the same tastes in radio stations.

I absolutely don’t know them from a bar of soap.
And get this
I’m a bloody musician in a band.
Haha
I don’t listen to commercial radio.
Haven’t for probably 30 years.
We play songs that I’d never heard when I had to learn them.

I wouldn't say everyone, not at all - But I'd hazard a guess that most people who know who they are.

I get that carch, trust me mate I do - I only listen to the radio because of the missus (who, and I'm proud to say this, is 10 years younger than me :) ).

Frailty

First Grade
I don’t understand why they go for such generic pop bands past their due by date, when there are so many good local acts. The current era is possibly the best ever with bands like:

DZ Deathrays
Violent Soho
Press Club
Waax
Amyl and the Sniffers
Hockey Dad
Skeggss
DMAs

Because quite simply they are popular. I would guarantee that any of the bands listed would meet more of the 'Who?' comments and other complaints.

Remember the same crap that happened with Gang of Youths last season? Or Briggs during the state of origin?

There were complaints about Macklemore in 2017 FFS.

League supporters just do what they do best - whinge and complain.

carcharias

Immortal
Seriously how hard is it to get a few Aussie acts on.
A young rock band ( chats - dune rats)
A chick singer - whoever
Then a classic act like Paul Kelly with villa and Linda
Make it a
15 mins
Can’t cost that much.
f**k me ... if they can afford diamond rings for Cameron Smiths wife surely they put on a bit of entertainment that caters to more than just 18 year olds from 2013.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Music is pretty subjective and you can't please everyone but at least get someone that provides an entertainment factor.

We all like to lay sh*t on Billy Idol but that dude busted out on a f*cking hovercraft and had some classic songs up his belt before the power went out.

One Republic's music is fine but not suited to a major sporting event.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Because quite simply they are popular. I would guarantee that any of the bands listed would meet more of the 'Who?' comments and other complaints.

Remember the same crap that happened with Gang of Youths last season? Or Briggs during the state of origin?

There were complaints about Macklemore in 2017 FFS.

League supporters just do what they do best - whinge and complain.

For sure the bands I listed are from very unknown to somewhat known. Like everyone i’ve named bands I like.

GoY are ok but not anthemic. Briggs and Macklemore the same. They might be popular with the kids but totally unfit to play a gf. The music has to be anthemic, otherwise it’s like this weird opening act just playing some songs before a footy match.

Bands like DZD, Amyl, Violent Soho have that. Other much more popular bands would be more commercialy feasible, like ACDC, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil. Imagine the Oils playing the Power and the Passion and I Don’t Wanna Be The One etc. Some of the most anthemic, psych up music there is.

skeepe

Immortal

DZ Deathrays
Violent Soho
Press Club
Waax
Amyl and the Sniffers
Hockey Dad
Skeggss
DMAs

All good, but no way the best era ever. The late 90/early 00s was epic

You Am I
The Living End
Jebediah
Grinspoon
28 Days
Silverchair before they went shit
Frenzal Rhomb
Bodyjar
Gyroscope
Spiderbait
Regurgitator
The Superjesus
Custard
Magic Dirt
TISM
Area 7
Sidewinder
Tumbleweed
The Cruel Sea
Mark of Cain

Take me back!

hutch

First Grade

DZ Deathrays
Violent Soho
Press Club
Waax
Amyl and the Sniffers
Hockey Dad
Skeggss
DMAs

Because nobody has ever heard of this crap!

hutch

First Grade
Seriously how hard is it to get a few Aussie acts on.
A young rock band ( chats - dune rats)
A chick singer - whoever
Then a classic act like Paul Kelly with villa and Linda
Make it a
15 mins
Can’t cost that much.
f**k me ... if they can afford diamond rings for Cameron Smiths wife surely they put on a bit of entertainment that caters to more than just 18 year olds from 2013.

It doesn’t matter if they are Aussie or not, why do people get so caught up on this? Last year we had an Aussie band, they were ordinary. The best music is generally not Aussie. Some years we have rock, some years we have pop, some years we have rap, some years it’s aussie, some American, some uk. It’s a good signing by the nrl, some people will like it, some won’t, some will whinge like they do every year.

I wouldn't say everyone, not at all - But I'd hazard a guess that most people who know who they are.

I get that carch, trust me mate I do - I only listen to the radio because of the missus (who, and I'm proud to say this, is 10 years younger than me :) ).

I wouldn't have a f**king clue who they are and neither do most of my mates. I'm a middle aged Man bang smack in the middle of the Rugby League target demographic and so are they.

I'm not disappointed that they have been chosen... To be honest, I couldn't really care less however, like many others, I just can't understand why the NRL can't seem to nail their demographic with the entertainment that they choose on Grand Final day.

For my money, a poor choice doesn't really subtract from Grand Final day but a really good choice could make the experience so much better and if you're going to choose some act that only a niche group of your fans actually likes then you may as well not even bother as it's a complete waste of time and money.

Why pay big bucks to bring out one of these yank bands that hardly anyone knows when we could throw up a decent Aussie band that would appeal to most of the people in the stadium at half time for half the cost... In fact, you could probably get them to play for an hour after full time as well and still save some cash.

Half the Aussie bands that Skeepe mentioned a few posts before are still touring. They're pretty much universally known in Australia and would appeal to a far greater audience than One Republic does here.

It really isn't that hard ffs.

carcharias

Immortal
It doesn’t matter if they are Aussie or not, why do people get so caught up on this? Last year we had an Aussie band, they were ordinary. The best music is generally not Aussie. Some years we have rock, some years we have pop, some years we have rap, some years it’s aussie, some American, some uk. It’s a good signing by the nrl, some people will like it, some won’t, some will whinge like they do every year.
Why?
Aussie or Kiwi

Support local music.
The artists have a connection to the game.

Maybe it’s me...but I f**king cringe when I listen to seppo’s who have no idea about the game try to talk about it.
Them getting to play on the biggest day of the footy calendar shits me.

Give it to a local.

That’s why.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I wouldn't have a f**king clue who they are and neither do most of my mates. I'm a middle aged Man bang smack in the middle of the Rugby League target demographic and so are they.

I'm not disappointed that they have been chosen... To be honest, I couldn't really care less however, like many others, I just can't understand why the NRL can't seem to nail their demographic with the entertainment that they choose on Grand Final day.

For my money, a poor choice doesn't really subtract from Grand Final day but a really good choice could make the experience so much better and if you're going to choose some act that only a niche group of your fans actually likes then you may as well not even bother as it's a complete waste of time and money.

Why pay big bucks to bring out one of these yank bands that hardly anyone knows when we could throw up a decent Aussie band that would appeal to most of the people in the stadium at half time for half the cost... In fact, you could probably get them to play for an hour after full time as well and still save some cash.

Half the Aussie bands that Skeepe mentioned a few posts before are still touring. They're pretty much universally known in Australia and would appeal to a far greater audience than One Republic does here.

It really isn't that hard ffs.
Mate, I'm probably the same age or thereabouts, and I know who they are... My Dad knows who they are, and trust me, he's a lot older then us.

Like I said, I'm not a fan, but just because you haven't heard of this "band" (and I use that term as loosely as possible) doesn't mean MOST fans haven't - MOST fans would know exactly who they are, and given the younger generation now being the crux of the fan base, I can totally understand why they'd bring in a "band" of this ilk.

Also, "Half the Aussie bands Skeepe mentioned" are hardly well known - Maybe in certain circles they are, but as stated previously, most of the younger generation would have no clue.

Now, let me make this as clear as crystal... I totally agree that an Aussie band would be better, but that is just my old man opinion - The NRL are catering to the masses, not the old boys who love their footy like us, we'll watch the f**king thing if The Wiggles opened...

Latest posts