What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Perth Red

Post Whore
DQNbqy.jpg
this rollout has been an absolute abortion

No doubt they paid some consultancy firm a small fortune for this cock up. Looks like something from the techno future late 80's movement! Given the huge sum that was spent 4 years ago to bring all teh states and affiliates under one NRL brand its staggering they are changing it again so soon. Will they change all the others as well or are we back to no consistency?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
View attachment 24379

No doubt they paid some consultancy firm a small fortune for this c**k up. Looks like something from the techno future late 80's movement! Given the huge sum that was spent 4 years ago to bring all teh states and affiliates under one NRL brand its staggering they are changing it again so soon. Will they change all the others as well or are we back to no consistency?
You love a good embellishment or rounding up.

The logo was changed at the end of 2012 ahead of the 2013 season. That's six years ago, not four.

The release, if you read it, detailed that they had done market research showing that the competition - just the NRL Telstra Premiership - needed its own brand identity. That doesn't indicate the other leagues (state etc) are changing anything.

carcharias

Immortal
Logo looks good

Modern - simplistic.
Easily recognisable.
Anybody with any idea understands these pretty basic concepts.

GAZF

First Grade
Logo looks good

Modern - simplistic.
Easily recognisable.
Anybody with any idea understands these pretty basic concepts.
Its the direction they should have pushed towards in 2012/13 to "de-couple" the NRL and ARLC identities. The problem is that we're chopping and changing an awful lot and now the logos aren't even entirely consistent (which was the selling point for the last redesign).

Perth Red

Post Whore
You love a good embellishment or rounding up.

The logo was changed at the end of 2012 ahead of the 2013 season. That's six years ago, not four.

The release, if you read it, detailed that they had done market research showing that the competition - just the NRL Telstra Premiership - needed its own brand identity. That doesn't indicate the other leagues (state etc) are changing anything.

So I'm a couple of years out, point stands they spent a motza rebranding and forcing all the state leagues and others into common branding, now they've decided to spend another motza moving away from it! Whats the point? What was wrong with the old logo that it needed another change and a move away from common branding across the game? Only thing I could see was it was Australian and excluded the Warriors. Is that why they have done it?

Maybe Todd loved the Fox League logo?

generic_round.png

Zerô

Juniors
The previous NRL logo felt clunky and unnecessary when they first released it, but 6 months into it, it felt great and was perfect.

This one is a bit more ambitious. Give it time and come round 1 next year I think it will feel right.

They knew it would be divisive so that why they had the soft relaunch

Timmah

Staff member
So I'm a couple of years out, point stands they spent a motza rebranding and forcing all the state leagues and others into common branding, now they've decided to spend another motza moving away from it! Whats the point? What was wrong with the old logo that it needed another change and a move away from common branding across the game? Only thing I could see was it was Australian and excluded the Warriors. Is that why they have done it?

Maybe Todd loved the Fox League logo?

View attachment 24382
They're not "spending a motza moving away from it" you clown. They're changing the competition logo and giving the NRL corporate logo a minor refresh. The state leagues aren't changing at all and there's no plans to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I didnt like the logo originally, but having seen the way the NRL are actually planning to use the logo, im almost entirely converted....

Originally, i (like everyone) thought they were going for a "phone app" look. Now i see it in the marketing, it is pretty obvious the inspiration was actually sports gear brands.

logoblogpicture.jpg

Now, im just keen to see this on the jumpers. Im absolutely not a fan of the "logo in club colours" idea, the badge would be almost invisible. If they do ditch Green-Gold, im most font of the White chevron/badge on the black backdrop.

Makes sense for the competition logo, though never will have the level of exposure of these brands so doubt many come to know it just from the shape. For the NRL organisation logo why abandon the rugby ball they have used in all the other State logos? If ditching the southern cross and simplifying why not go the same way they made all the States go?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They're not "spending a motza moving away from it" you clown. They're changing the competition logo and giving the NRL corporate logo a minor refresh. The state leagues aren't changing at all and there's no plans to.

Your not telling me they havent paid a shed load to get this "designed", I know how much rebradning costs. Then you have all the secondary things you need to repurchase and change that had the old logos on them, so yes they will be spending a motza. And yes it is a "refresh" but still costs money and still moves away from the consistency of brand for the game they created in 2013.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
upload_2018-10-21_9-52-22-png.24313

Ok, im now 100% on board with the new logo...

I realised that the last thing annoying me was that the chevrons felt out of proportion. I now realise that i was suffering from a funny bit of cognitive dissonance; the last logo trained me to think of the chevrons as a framing device for the letters above. So my eyes would naturally move above the Chevron expecting something else.

It is different to see the chevrons as the central subject, but i definitely think its a better result.

I actually argued for something similar a while ago for clubs; move to logos that are so simplified and easy to recognise that they could even be done in black-white and treat the words as more of an afterthought just so people arent too confused the first time they see it. I never even imagine it could be done with the comp logo.

My reasoning is that an image with be interpretted by the temporal lobe (your brain is designed to do this very quickly and give a very emotional/primal responce) whereas reading letters means bouncing information all over your cerebrum (less emotional, more academic and demands the person to deliberately focus)

The largest word is premiership. Nobody gives a f**k about that. We can’t even read NRL and nobody outside here and NZ knows what rugby league is

I actually think it is deliberate, they are trying to avoid the NRL being noticable at first glance. I think they want people to immediately see the image and the writing underneath is just like "for more information, Google this........"

sempmrh

Juniors
I think they should go a step further with this new logo and the way it's going to be matched to team colours by placing the logo on the field in the home team's colours - either painted or digitally projected for TV.

carcharias

Immortal
Anyone would think some of you people are paying for it personally.

The logo looks good.
You want to be able instantly recognise it on a phone or iPad or anywhere.

Look at the simplest logos on your phone.
Facebook
Spotify
WhatsApp
Or others like MacDonalds , apple, Nike
Basic
One or two colours.

Timmah

Staff member
Makes sense for the competition logo, though never will have the level of exposure of these brands so doubt many come to know it just from the shape. For the NRL organisation logo why abandon the rugby ball they have used in all the other State logos? If ditching the southern cross and simplifying why not go the same way they made all the States go?
The NRL organisation logo never had the ball in it, good work at paying attention though.

Timmah

Staff member
Your not telling me they havent paid a shed load to get this "designed", I know how much rebradning costs. Then you have all the secondary things you need to repurchase and change that had the old logos on them, so yes they will be spending a motza. And yes it is a "refresh" but still costs money and still moves away from the consistency of brand for the game they created in 2013.
For the corporate logo, there's might be some signage costs - fairly minimal. Otherwise it's stationery items that would be reordered regularly, and the incredibly laborious (sarcasm, ICYMI), updating the website and app (which are already done and not really that pricy), and sending an email of the logo to people who need to use it around the office.

The competition logo change would have even less impact, its used mostly online.

But you keep on down the same rubbish anti-NRL agenda crusade, dude.

mn_tibor

Juniors
Looks like the Melbourne Storm have a all white version of the new logo as well as the coloured one. It seems that the white one is used on coloured backgrounds. The ladder on nrl.com has been updated with the coloured logo whilst the white one is used at the bottom of the page for the club sites link. The warriors also seem to do this but the main background is black, not transparent like the storm.

Timmah

Staff member
Looks like the Melbourne Storm have a all white version of the new logo as well as the coloured one. It seems that the white one is used on coloured backgrounds. The ladder on nrl.com has been updated with the coloured logo whilst the white one is used at the bottom of the page for the club sites link. The warriors also seem to do this but the main background is black, not transparent like the storm.
There are all-white ("reversed") versions of most club logos out there as I understand. Just depends on colours etc as to how often they're used.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Makes sense for the competition logo, though never will have the level of exposure of these brands so doubt many come to know it just from the shape.

I disagree...

The NRL will obviously never achieve the same reach that these brands have. But within Australia, i think the NRL will not only achieve this but achieve it quickly.

With this painted in the middle of every field, anyone who watched a game on TV for more than a minute will be exposed to the logo. And i think we can agree it is very distinct, i cant think of anything it could be confused with.

For the NRL organisation logo why abandon the rugby ball they have used in all the other State logos? If ditching the southern cross and simplifying why not go the same way they made all the States go?

Im not a fan of the state logo design; the ball design is pretty average already and it clashes with the Chevrons. Definitely not a simple design.

I would like to see what this new logo would have looked like with a football inside the shield instead of the chevrons...

Nuke

Staff member
They're not changing yet. The idea has been mooted, but any actual changes won't be happening anytime soon. Definitely not for 2019 season anyway. I don't know what timeframe they're thinking of beyond then, but a change for the state leagues has been thought of.

Timmah

Staff member
They're not changing yet. The idea has been mooted, but any actual changes won't be happening anytime soon. Definitely not for 2019 season anyway. I don't know what timeframe they're thinking of beyond then, but a change for the state leagues has been thought of.
Anything suggesting it remains pure speculation for now. The only changes currently are the minor adjustments to the corp logo and the full change of the premiership logo