What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Origin III - Wed 10 Jul - NSW 26-20 QLD @ ANZ

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good to see Godner lives rent free in your mind. This seems like a perfect time to recap his hall of fame career so far

2 x origin winning captain
2 x premiership winner (1 as captain)
1 x world cup winner
1 x MOTM in RLWC Final

We are truly lucky to share the same oxygen as him.
Also last night, the only NSW forward to run for more metres than Cordner was David Klemmer. Klemmer had 14 runs for 112 metres, to Cordner's 13 runs for 111 metres. Next best NSW forward was Finucane with 11 runs for 96 metres. In fact only Tedesco (with 19 runs for 222 metres) and Ferguson (19 runs for 173 metres) made more metres than Klemmer or Cordner did for NSW (States from - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/match-centre/SOO20190301/stats)

Last edited by a moderator:

some11

Referee
For what many thought was the shittest queensland lineup in.. forever, I was proud of them to make amends for their disgraceful 'effort' in game II.

I had money on NSW to win so it was sort of bittersweet. Cam Murray coming on when he did changed the game in my eyes, Fittler used his bench to perfection this time.

nöyd

Staff member
Simple Jack to 5/8 in 2020, Latrell back in the centres

Maloney - thanks for your service but get f**ked

King hit

Coach
I know its a different game but when he won the City game with virtually an inexperienced team up against a pretty good Country team I felt confident things would change for the good.

And its paid off. He's unfairly copped a lot of flack and look what's happened.

Two in a row baby !!!!

That 2017 game (which I presume you are talking about) was a great effort from him which is going to be forgotten about unfortunatley. City were just randoms thrown together but played superbly well as a team and came up with a very good win. His coaching of Lebanon at the world cup that year also filled me with more confidence about him.

I said at the time he was the right decision and boy was i right.

stryker

First Grade
Nothing special about 11 debutants doing the job and winning a series.

Not even QLD would spruik about that.
I know you NSW f**kboys get excited easily but neither effort has been incredible with the exception of Perth this year. Some good solid wins though.

stryker

First Grade
You'll be right Kevvie.

Follow Freddy's lead - bare feet, f**k the coach whisperer off and make sure you take the safe route next season by selecting 11 debutants.

Too easy.
Id prefer Kev gone to be honest. Coach whisperers, stupid selections, ridiculous interview rules and public crying...its all very tiring. 2 good halves out of 6 is not something to be proud of.

Reflector

Juniors
That 2017 game (which I presume you are talking about) was a great effort from him which is going to be forgotten about unfortunatley. City were just randoms thrown together but played superbly well as a team and came up with a very good win. His coaching of Lebanon at the world cup that year also filled me with more confidence about him.

I said at the time he was the right decision and boy was i right.

It wasn't that for me. It was actually reading his autobiography about 10 years back that warmed me to the idea of coaching. On the surface he seems like a fairly standard footy bloke who likes a beer and a yarn with his mates, but beneath that he's a fairly complex character- he has some unconventional ideas about stuff, but at Origin level it works because the psychological factor plays a bigger part. You have just 3 games, more intense games and a small lapse in judgement can cost your state the series. So all this stuff about barefoot training (which Freddy reckons Ron Willey had them doing when he began at Penrith 30 years ago) to those weird blindfolded trust exercises, to the no mobile phones policy, to walking to the game, to the meditation- you can see the positive impact it's had on the trust each player has in his team-mates. Without that kind of trust, you don't see a finish like last night. They never looked panicky at any time this series.

On top of that (like I've said) you can see how happy the guys who don't make the team still are, and how much they want NSW to win, the way Freddy has got all sorts of players from past Origin squads to play a part in shaping this team. Provided they keep these systems in place, the NSW Origin team is looking very promising for the next 5 years at least.

stryker

First Grade
Am I the only who thought Munster wasn’t that good?
When we came into this series I was quietly confident as we had X factor players Munster, Ponga and Morgan who could spark a comeback or extend a slight lead. Have them fed by 2 halves with good kicking and passing games in Daly and Hunt and points shouldnt have been too far away.
Now its done and dusted, Im concerned for the future as all 3 were ineffective. For fleeting moments the first two did some good things but Morgo was shit all 3 games.

NSW on the other hand had their stars stand up and unearthed even more in Murray. They have a real solid group who will be competitive for years. Interesting times...