What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 14-8 Raiders @ ANZ

Grand Final: Roosters v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walt Flanigan

Referee
images

nick87

Coach
Watching the replay yet again...

I must say, the best young centre in the game actually had a f**king blinder of a game. He shut Manu down all night, kick chase was relentless, and he made one of the all time greatest try savers on Mitchell in the first half.

Raiders really did make a fine account for themselves. It was a spectacular grand final.

hopefully they keep building on it into next year. Would much rather see the raiders fighting for the minor premiership with us than the f**king storm or bunnies

That entire side defended their f**king arses off.
The roosters threw a bit at them too and they handled it with ease.

It's a genuine shame the officials making a f**king meal of things has overshadowed what a great game it was. Both teams played out of their skin, the difference was we blew our shot for a try with BJ and Rapana, and the Roosters executed their shot like a training drill.

BadnMean

Juniors
It was a great final. Will always be talked about. When they look back in 5-10 years yes the calls will be discussed but they'll acknowledge it as one of the great finals too.

horrie hastings

First Grade
It was a great final. Will always be talked about. When they look back in 5-10 years yes the calls will be discussed but they'll acknowledge it as one of the great finals too.

Yep it was one of the most heart stopping Grand Final I have been to or have watched, both sides played great football, I would rate it as one the best Grand Finals I have seen. Unfortunately it was over shadowed by some unfortunate events but it's not the only game where it has happened and won't be the last, I still have friends who talk about the 1972 Grand Final where Manly had two of the most questionable tries allowed which gave them the upper hand, then there's Terry Lamb taking out Ellery Hanley in the 1988 Grand Final and we won't even talk about the 1999 Grand Final, the penalty try was fair but Melbourne scored off a forward pass before that, there have been plenty of controversial Grand Finals and this year's won't be the last.

Yep it was one of the most heart stopping Grand Final I have been to or have watched, both sides played great football, I would rate it as one the best Grand Finals I have seen. Unfortunately it was over shadowed by some unfortunate events but it's not the only game where it has happened and won't be the last, I still have friends who talk about the 1972 Grand Final where Manly had two of the most questionable tries allowed which gave them the upper hand, then there's Terry Lamb taking out Ellery Hanley in the 1988 Grand Final and we won't even talk about the 1999 Grand Final, the penalty try was fair but Melbourne scored off a forward pass before that, there have been plenty of controversial Grand Finals and this year's won't be the last.

You could add in the 1963 Grand Final where the Wests players had heard the referee, Darcy Lawler, had placed a bet on the Dragons winning it and two calls by Lawler which effected the result (a no try decision against Gil MacDougall and a decision to award a try to Johnny King).

With the 1972 GF, there was also a disallowed try to Arthur Beetson which was questionable.

You could add in the 1976 finals series with Many being the beneficiary in successive finals games of tries scored on the 7th tackle.

The 1996 Grand Final with the "play on" call on Matthew Ridge when many people reckon he'd been tackled by St George.

horrie hastings

First Grade
With the 1972 GF, there was also a disallowed try to Arthur Beetson which was questionable.

You could add in the 1976 finals series with Many being the beneficiary in successive finals games of tries scored on the 7th tackle.

The 1996 Grand Final with the "play on" call on Matthew Ridge when many people reckon he'd been tackled by St George.

In 1972 Easts had 2 tries disallowed, The first was disallowed to John Armstrong for a double movement then in the 2nd half Ron Coote had a try disallowed which a lot of people reckon was a try, Manly tries came from Fred Jones who appeared to bounce the ball over the line, Johnny Ballesty blew up about straight away, the 2nd there was a blatant forward pass.

The 1978 final series was the blow up with Manly with Greg Hollywood Hartley gifting Manly 7 tackles 3 times which one led to a try, I think Parra had two 5 tackle counts in the game also.

Had forgotten about the Matthew Ridge incident but as soon as you said I remember it clearly.

horrie hastings

First Grade
You could add in the 1963 Grand Final where the Wests players had heard the referee, Darcy Lawler, had placed a bet on the Dragons winning it and two calls by Lawler which effected the result (a no try decision against Gil MacDougall and a decision to award a try to Johnny King).

My God, yes have read that , nothing would have surprised me when it came to Darcy Lawler.

bileduct

Coach
Thing is, he still collects him, and hits his kicking leg. I know he was trying to charge the ball down, but every other match, that would have been a penalty for dangerous contact with a kicker's legs.
https://www.playrugbyleague.com/media/3114/arl-rules-book-2019.pdf

Page 38. Note (j) Obstruction after kick - ... However, a tackler cannot be expected to delay making a tackle because the player in possession might decide to kick the ball. The onus is on the kicker to get his kick in before the opponent commits himself to the tackle.

screenshot.jpg

Soliola has committed himself to making a front on tackle before the kick took place and the initial point of contact is above the level of the waist, and that's with the added height of Keary being on his toes. Soliola didn't go in Rambo Ronnie Gibbs style, he didn't spear at the legs. He went in for a regulation tackle above the waist, Keary kicked the ball into him and then jumped into the tackle to make it look worse than it was.

Vee

First Grade
Haven't read the last 10 pages but Polkinghorne's column today seems to settle it Rule 16.9 says the ref can't change a decision on the run except for prior foul play.

Any advance on that?

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think the 1909 GF had a key turning point too.

That being when one side decided to turn up after a gentlemen's agreement with the other side that they wouldn't.
And that shocking display of poor sportsmanship has undoubtedly shaped Souths morally bankrupt culture in the decades since.

That Premiership should seriously be stripped from them.

Susan Madge

Juniors
Watching the replay yet again...

I must say, the best young centre in the game actually had a f**king blinder of a game. He shut Manu down all night, kick chase was relentless, and he made one of the all time greatest try savers on Mitchell in the first half.

Raiders really did make a fine account for themselves. It was a spectacular grand final.

hopefully they keep building on it into next year. Would much rather see the raiders fighting for the minor premiership with us than the f**king storm or bunnies
WHICH "young" centre are you talking about? Neither is young in footy terms.

Susan Madge

Juniors
I think in general there are refs errors in a game. They arent robots but it was just how unusual the breaks against us were. Like we havent made a gf in 25 years so of course when we get there its the time the trainer gets hit with the ball and a ref calls 6 to go and changes his mind while our playmaker doesnt realise in a close match

Id expect nothing less tbh

The only thing that could top this for that's life as a raiders fan is coming dead last next year
Gotta love Beatties statements though:
1. Ref did nothing wrong - made the right call
2. Leave the ref alone, he's human and made a mistake - he feels terrible
3. WHAT????????? :joy:

Latest posts