What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

Stallion

First Grade
Used to watch multiple games a week, now I don't. I am 29, all my friends are in the same boat. League is becoming harder to watch. The rucks are so shit to watch now, half the game is watching guys wrestle each other. Its a defensive game nowadays which is not good for spectating. The tactic of slowing down the ruck at all costs should of been stomped out ten years ago, now they are gutless to do it so we are stuck watching the same old defensive battles over and over, coaches emphasise getting through your sets with high completion rates, winning the field position battle etc its all conservative, boring league.

Compare it to union and rugby league is far more entertaining! Other newer tactics such as the 'one on one steal ' for possesion changeover is a plus. So the "mundane' claim is a tad off the mark. It's still an explosive and fast moving game with plenty of full on body contact and attacking guile. Still shits all over union but isn't given the lay of the land like union gets in many places around the world.

betcats

Referee
Compare it to union and rugby league is far more entertaining! Other newer tactics such as the 'one on one steal ' for possesion changeover is a plus. So the "mundane' claim is a tad off the mark. It's still an explosive and fast moving game with plenty of full on body contact and attacking guile. Still shits all over union but isn't given the lay of the land like union gets in many places around the world.

Far enough but being more exciting than Union doesn't mean anything to me, I haven't ever watched a game of rugby. The NRL is less appealing to watch for me then it was, that's all that matters.

Defensive linespeed are so ridiculous these days, the first receiver more often than not has a defender up his all as he gets the ball, its ruining the attacking side of the game. Set defensive lines and slow rucks, do something about it. We need more free flowing football with defenders struggling and less structure all round, that's when the magic happens in our sport.

I got to the knights rabbits game ten minutes late.

As we walked from P1 half the folks arriving with me were watching the game live on their phone.

I think the TV landscape has changed and there are still footy fans out there.

But they don't buy newspapers or mags and watch via things other than Foxtel or 9.

DC_fan

Coach
Used to watch multiple games a week, now I don't. I am 29, all my friends are in the same boat. League is becoming harder to watch. The rucks are so shit to watch now, half the game is watching guys wrestle each other. Its a defensive game nowadays which is not good for spectating. The tactic of slowing down the ruck at all costs should of been stomped out ten years ago, now they are gutless to do it so we are stuck watching the same old defensive battles over and over, coaches emphasise getting through your sets with high completion rates, winning the field position battle etc its all conservative, boring league.

I once watched every game. Now I watch mostly one game per week, that being the Sunday 4pm game. If Souths are playing Thursday or Friday night, then I will watch that game. Just not the big league fan i once was. I have other priorities now then what I did once and watching league or even sport in general is no longer at the top.
Though I am still a big Dallas Cowboys fan.

League is not the same sport I started to follow many years ago, and maybe I shouldn’t expect it to be. However, there appears to be a lot of sameness to each and every game today Whilst I appreciate the athleticism of players today, much of the skill, especially ball playing skills of the likes of Artie Beetson and Jim Fiddler no longer exists. Forward play is all about how many metres you gained and how quickly you getup and play the ball.

betcats

Referee
I once watched every game. Now I watch mostly one game per week, that being the Sunday 4pm game. If Souths are playing Thursday or Friday night, then I will watch that game. Just not the big league fan i once was. I have other priorities now then what I did once and watching league or even sport in general is no longer at the top.
Though I am still a big Dallas Cowboys fan.

League is not the same sport I started to follow many years ago, and maybe I shouldn’t expect it to be. However, there appears to be a lot of sameness to each and every game today Whilst I appreciate the athleticism of players today, much of the skill, especially ball playing skills of the likes of Artie Beetson and Jim Fiddler no longer exists. Forward play is all about how many metres you gained and how quickly you getup and play the ball.

Yep nailed it with the sameness to each game. There aren't many different styles in the NRL anymore, there are just the haves and the have nots, the disciplined and the undisciplined, they all pretty much play the same way just some do it better or have more talent in the lineup. Attacking structures are the same, almost every team focuses far more on building wins by defending, building pressure and high completions.

When is the last time the rooster or storm weren't in a grand final? 2015? It hasn't happened many times in the last decade. I am bored of that also, I hate both those teams, neither is on close to a level playing field to most of the competition. I didn't watch the grand final last year. Probably wont watch it this year either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another key issue is the lack of "star" power. We seem to get upset when a player is hyped up if he doesn't deliver every week yet we need the superstars to generate the interest and hype for the game. Empty stadiums are also a massive turn off for tv as there is no atmosphere and the players dont lift like they do in front of a large vocal crowd. I've gone from watching every game religiously to probably three a week depending on line up and venue.

axl rose

Bench
I once watched every game. Now I watch mostly one game per week.
Age and other priorities catch up with you fast. I'm down to 1 game a week or sometimes just a highlights package. I would rather 'waste' my free time watching a few hours of a podcast on the weekend.

Very different game to the one I use to follow, but still the best sport in the world when teams actually chance thier arm. It does feel like its stuck in a dull defensive era. Even though they were erratic at least the Tigers and Warriors were fun attacking teams to watch back in the day.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This thread got depressing all of a sudden. Someone is watching because the ratings are better than ever and so is the TV deal.

I'm pretty sure I've heard AFL types moaning that their game isn't as good as it used to be etc. Maybe the game is moving toward appealing to the next generation and leaving the oldies behind. This kind of thing probably happens to every generation, they hit a point where they feel that the game isn't the one they grew up loving (which is true), but a new generation right now are growing up loving it just like it is... until they grow old and moan when the game changes again in a few decades.

Billythekid

First Grade
For me it’s more of a free time thing. I work full time shift work, study and have a wife. Even if I’m free to watch games I usually have too much on. I still enjoy the game a lot (although the way it’s officiated and some of the scum that play the game turns me off).

Perth Red

Post Whore
This thread got depressing all of a sudden. Someone is watching because the ratings are better than ever

I’m not sure that’s true when you take into account Australia’s population growth. As a % of population I dont think the grow in viewership has kept pace with population growth.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m not sure that’s true when you take into account Australia’s population growth. As a % of population I dont think the grow in viewership has kept pace with population growth.

I guess so, but we have maintained our position in the TV ratings heirarchy (i.e. all three Origins and the GF usually in the top 10) and regular season games being solid, reliable raters throughout the season, so we've kept pace as much as every other sport and TV show has.

DC_fan

Coach
Is there a sport in Australia where it’s TV ratings and crowds have grown proportionally with the growth in the country’s population?

Stallion

First Grade
Is there a sport in Australia where it’s TV ratings and crowds have grown proportionally with the growth in the country’s population?

Think regarding the code of rugby league as just another sport is not fair. The rugby league product is supreme and very easy to follow for people new to the game. A game based on possession, physical contact and meter gain with tries and goals included is an easy get for a new viewer. This code is performing way below it's genuine potential reach given the highly attractive product it consistently puts on show. It's respecting and harnessing longstanding fanbases along with adding new fans from new areas that's the key to increasing viewership and general interest. Additional clubs are a must do.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Afl crowd avg has gone up 75% in last 30 years (20k to 35k)
Nrl crowd avg increased 50% (10k to 15k)

Population increase is around 33% in that period

No idea re tv audiences as don’t have historic data to compare

DC_fan

Coach
These certainly could not be the correct ratings for last nights game, could they? Please someone tell me they are wrong. If they are correct then they are extremely poor. And to be the 20th ranked show for the night too.

20 THURSDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE Nine 285,000 (five city metro) 190,000 (Sydney) 0 95,000 (Brisbane) 0 0

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/07/thursday-4-july-2019.html

Latest posts