What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Super League

Walter sobchak

First Grade
No heritage players are their problem from kicking on.
Maybe in the short term yes but having the Catalan dragons squad stacked with overseas players doesn’t help. Especially their starting 17.

Also the dragons getting rid of their academy is a huge step backwards also.

Storm13

Juniors
Maybe in the short term yes but having the Catalan dragons squad stacked with overseas players doesn’t help. Especially their starting 17.

Also the dragons getting rid of their academy is a huge step backwards also.
I'm just saying if they had the same luxury of these other nations that rely on heritage players they would be competing with the big 3. They need to start encouraging the young kids to go looking beyond their borders for more opportunities. I'm sure half a dozen or so of the young players in the Catalans reserve side could make a good go at a championship club, but financial guarantee might be hard to obtain so don't try.

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm just saying if they had the same luxury of these other nations that rely on heritage players they would be competing with the big 3. They need to start encouraging the young kids to go looking beyond their borders for more opportunities. I'm sure half a dozen or so of the young players in the Catalans reserve side could make a good go at a championship club, but financial guarantee might be hard to obtain so don't try.
It might not be so easy for uncapped French players to work in the U.K. once/if Brexit is sorted.

Taking The Two

Juniors
Whether I agree with the changes to the rules or not, I’m glad we’re moving to a set of rules that is pretty much the same as the NRL. The sooner the game as a whole, whether you’re playing in Rochdale or Redcliffe, St Helens or Sydney, has one set of universal rules, the better.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Golden point was a great fad back in 2003 when it debuted in the NRL, but there is a huge call from fans to bring back the draw. 80-minutes of hard toil is worthy of a point each. It was the broadcasters and sponsors who pushed for the golden point concept. I have no issue with extra time in finals or rep games where there must be a winner, but in regular fixtures, it's overkill.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Hard toil? I’ll have the exciting TV tyvm..

Have no problems with these, however it does imply that the game in the UK is behind NRL by 5 years..

Pommy

Coach
Hard toil? I’ll have the exciting TV tyvm..

Have no problems with these, however it does imply that the game in the UK is behind NRL by 5 years..

Hard toil means a low ranking team earning a draw against a top team. Happens in football all the time and whilst non football fans will say a draw is boring viewing in reality it can be anything but boring.
Golden point is utter shit and the SL should not be entertaining the idea. It’s just leads to drop goals. If they have to have a decider it should be golden try.

Taking The Two

Juniors
Think Golden Point would have only been used four times in Super League in 2018, so it’s not going to have a major effect on the game. I’m a traditionalist and see no issue in a league game ending as a draw but I can see why we’re going with this.

I did quite enjoy what the lower league clubs had a few years ago with the bonus point they’d get if they lost by 12 or less. It generally made the few games at that level that I saw more competitive in the latter stages.

Storm13

Juniors
Golden point was a great fad back in 2003 when it debuted in the NRL, but there is a huge call from fans to bring back the draw. 80-minutes of hard toil is worthy of a point each. It was the broadcasters and sponsors who pushed for the golden point concept. I have no issue with extra time in finals or rep games where there must be a winner, but in regular fixtures, it's overkill.
Should of been from the start that a draw is worth 1 point to each team then play GP for the extra point.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Should of been from the start that a draw is worth 1 point to each team then play GP for the extra point.

There has been talks to bring that system in like in the NHL. GP is too much down to luck of the toss or one kick/drop that can cost victory.

adamkungl

Immortal
Keen to say how London stacks up against Wakefield.

They're tipped by all and sundry to drop straight back down.
BUT
They competed and won against SL squads in the Qualifiers last year - they know they can grind out necessary wins.
They'll go in as underdogs every game, not a bad place to be mentally.
And some other squads look very suss too. Salford squad depth is so thin a couple of injuries will have them pushing shit up a very steep hill.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Keen to say how London stacks up against Wakefield.

They're tipped by all and sundry to drop straight back down.
BUT
They competed and won against SL squads in the Qualifiers last year - they know they can grind out necessary wins.
They'll go in as underdogs every game, not a bad place to be mentally.
And some other squads look very suss too. Salford squad depth is so thin a couple of injuries will have them pushing shit up a very steep hill.
1st match of the season and at home could see the broncos catch Wakefield cold but trinity are a good side this year and will probably have too much for the broncos.