What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Top 30

Abacus

Juniors
Too good to be in reggies. Had breakout year which I wasn't expecting. Won't come here without a first grade guarantee.
Souths need to move someone to register a contract for him. If you're uncontracted, you can't play NRL. So if you're Rennings, you want a contract and take your chances with form, injuries, etc rather than no contract (meaning no NRL is certain).

franklin2323

Immortal
I probably wouldn’t have signed him either but I know why he was signed and that was the fact he could play fullback, wing and centre. At the time he was signed we were short in those positions, but things changed quickly with the emergence of Edwards and Blake and Peta never set the world of fire.

I’m not sure Peta Hiku signing then being released less than 18 months later had any real impact on the players released early or not resigned. From 2016 only Sowie & Elijah Taylor were released mid season and neither had anything to do with Peta Hiku. At the end of that season the club chose to not resign Will Smith, both Jennings boys, Latimore and a few others but those decisions had nothing to do with Peta Hiku. He may have been a dud signing but cost us nothing as it turned out.

I’m really gonna miss Trent Merrin, Peach and CHN and will not enjoy seeing them play against us in 2019 & beyond but I understand the reasons why they were released, they have benefited personally and the overall benefits to our club & roster is what comes first.

All I can say is if our club continues to develop outstanding young talent at the rate we are producing well you had better get used to the concept of early releases because there will be more each and every season going forward.

I hope we continue to develop talent BUT no reason that talent needs to play for us. Let the young guys we have develop and re-assess. I'd be happy to keep this backline and backrow together for the next 5 or so seasons.

As long as we have the young guys we can always use them if the guys we have no don't peak like they should

Kilkenny

Coach
I hope we continue to develop talent BUT no reason that talent needs to play for us. Let the young guys we have develop and re-assess. I'd be happy to keep this backline and backrow together for the next 5 or so seasons.

As long as we have the young guys we can always use them if the guys we have no don't peak like they should

I agree, we keep the cream of the crop. There is never to go be opportunity for all of the good juniors we develop. Currently it would seem we have no problems in bringing though promising forwards but the production line is not quite producing the next superstar Centre/Winger which is the one position I think we really need a superstar. Hopefully, young Chricton can be such a player in a season or two.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree, we keep the cream of the crop. There is never to go be opportunity for all of the good juniors we develop. Currently it would seem we have no problems in bringing though promising forwards but the production line is not quite producing the next superstar Centre/Winger which is the one position I think we really need a superstar. Hopefully, young Chricton can be such a player in a season or two.

I am a Whare fan but this is why I wouldn't rush to extend him just yet. We have found Maloney's replacement but the money from him and Tamou gives the ability to bring in a few players

Crashtest

Juniors
I am a Whare fan but this is why I wouldn't rush to extend him just yet. We have found Maloney's replacement but the money from him and Tamou gives the ability to bring in a few players

Why would we need to extend Whare, doesn't he still have 4 years to go on his contract?

Kilkenny

Coach
Which should just about see him done. 2021 is when we should start concentration on developing a centre

We should be developing centres / wingers from this season coming. I like Dean Whare great clubman, good player, but if we are serious about contending for top four or better then we need to develop a top class centre/winger to compliment what we already have.

franklin2323

Immortal
We should be developing centres / wingers from this season coming. I like Dean Whare great clubman, good player, but if we are serious about contending for top four or better then we need to develop a top class centre/winger to compliment what we already have.

The plan should be having Crichton be at that level to push Whare as his deal ends. He will be 22 when Whare is off contract (assuming he stays that long). Short term Too looked good on the wing. Hopefully he plays only centre now and who knows where he will be this time next year. I don't see Phillips getting re-signed so can take his spot