What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Top 30

Fangs

Coach
Its a weaker squad than last year however we now have a superior coach. May just be enough to make up for our losses.

Not our go but would have loved to have picked up a player like Brett or Josh Morris. Those guys have plenty left to offer and will have a great 2019 barring injury.

betcats

Referee
Roosters also brought in Crichton, Morris and that pom Hall.

end of 2020 is when we really get a player of note off contract. A few guys Tamou, Maloney Maybe Edwards if DWZ is the FB don't get re-signed after then. So there will be change eventually.

This squad as a whole will add 400 games of experience this season. The same next year. Even depth guys like Martin, Ellis etc will have 10-20 more games under their belts. So overall we are more balanced to maintain the intensity needed to win comps.

The issue is every year we lose more experience they we develop. Every 2nd year to do that is fine but not every year

Its just the natural progression of our squad. We have made moves to keep the core our young talent together, they will mature and get more experienced but the occasional release is still going to happen.

Releasing Merrin was a good move, not one that is going to cost us a premiership. I don't care how experienced he is if you are overpaid and underperforming like he was last season than we are better off without him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Its a weaker squad than last year however we now have a superior coach. May just be enough to make up for our losses.

Not our go but would have loved to have picked up a player like Brett or Josh Morris. Those guys have plenty left to offer and will have a great 2019 barring injury.

Our top 17 can match it with anyone...sadly it takes more then 17 guys to have a good season

franklin2323

Immortal
Its just the natural progression of our squad. We have made moves to keep the core our young talent together, they will mature and get more experienced but the occasional release is still going to happen.

Releasing Merrin was a good move, not one that is going to cost us a premiership. I don't care how experienced he is if you are overpaid and underperforming like he was last season than we are better off without him.

well it does affect our depth and when injuries hit is where we will see how bad. None of the moves hurt long term that is what we do well the problem is eventually we need to develop the win now mentality or we wasted all the resources.

I see no reason now we have the players in the system that came through with the academy that we can't get 2 premierships every decade

betcats

Referee
well it does affect our depth and when injuries hit is where we will see how bad. None of the moves hurt long term that is what we do well the problem is eventually we need to develop the win now mentality or we wasted all the resources.

I see no reason now we have the players in the system that came through with the academy that we can't get 2 premierships every decade

Merrin wouldn't of copped reserve grade, so keeping him here would of left him in the way of us developing that depth internally, it also effects our ability to re-sign the players we actually want to keep.

Kilkenny

Coach
Hiku for Blake. Every year we lost 5-6 guys and bring in no one

Peta Hiku another mistake by Gus and the Club? We should have made him see out his contract too which would have ended this season just finished? His being retained along with Sowie and a few others would mean our current squad would most likely not include Waqa Blake, Viliame Kikau but hey we would have a lot more experience.

It is obvious you simply don't get it and frankly you never will.

GongPanther

Referee
There is ample evidence this off season we are not the only club who releases players early or chooses not the offer new contracts to established stars and it is done for a variety of reasons. Klemmer, SJ, McGuire, Napa to name a few. Goodness knows the Eels have attempted in vain to offload MJennings and at least one of there halves but to date there have been no takers. It is just business.

I have no doubt we will continue to release players early and equally if and when Maloney & Tamou go there money has most likely been spent or is being set aside for Blore, Crichton and who ever else will emerge as Top 17 team members.

As an example we current have Edwards, DWZ & Aekins competing for the fullback role with Dane Laurie and other kids emerging. Say DWZ makes the position his own in 2019 and Dylan Edwards barely get’s a look in. Another club comes knocking and offers Dylan a spot well it is highly likely Gus wouldn’t stand in his way particularly given our depth in the position. It is just business. You can’t keep them all. This scenario is what happened to CHN. He could have stayed, he wasn’t forced out, he just got an offer from another club, a four year deal which gives him security and greater opportunity to comment a spot in a top 17. Gus wasn’t going to stand in his way he doesn’t operate that way and we had more than sufficient options in the same position. Good for both parties.
Once again,the voice of common sense and reason.

franklin2323

Immortal
Peta Hiku another mistake by Gus and the Club? We should have made him see out his contract too which would have ended this season just finished? His being retained along with Sowie and a few others would mean our current squad would most likely not include Waqa Blake, Viliame Kikau but hey we would have a lot more experience.

It is obvious you simply don't get it and frankly you never will.

well many at the time Hiku was signed questioned his signing in the 1st place. He was gone within less then 2 years

Why sign him to 4 years if the plan was once someone comes better then he will get the punt

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
well many at the time Hiku was signed questioned his signing in the 1st place. He was gone within less then 2 years

Why sign him to 4 years if the plan was once someone comes better then he will get the punt

His original signing was underwhelming no question there.

Hiku didn’t work out, he had problems with injury and was soon apparent in the first half of 2017 he was going to struggle to play first grade so he moved on.

Based on your hundred’s of post’s complaining about us releasing players you would have kept Hiku, played him in NSW Cup, meanwhile less money is available and we lose someone better who we really want to keep. That’s is the issue and again you just don’t get it!!!!!!

Wookies&Cream

Juniors

Hiku didn’t work out, he had problems with injury and was soon apparent in the first half of 2017 he was going to struggle to play first grade so he moved on.

Based on your hundred’s of post’s complaining about us releasing players you would have kept Hiku, played him in NSW Cup, meanwhile less money is available and we lose someone better who we really want to keep. That’s is the issue and again you just don’t get it!!!!!!
Hiku really showed his quality this year. Especially vs. us

franklin2323

Immortal

Well I wouldn't of signed Hiku in the 1st place. He was 22 and a test player so wouldn't of been cheap.

How many guys got let go or we couldn't in those 2 years because of the cap space wasted on what turned out to be a dud signing?

tripster

Juniors
I think it was pretty clearly the case that we needed to push Merrin out in order to free up the money to lock up JFH and Luai.

Who wouldn’t make that trade?

Kilkenny

Coach
Well I wouldn't of signed Hiku in the 1st place. He was 22 and a test player so wouldn't of been cheap.

How many guys got let go or we couldn't in those 2 years because of the cap space wasted on what turned out to be a dud signing?

I probably wouldn’t have signed him either but I know why he was signed and that was the fact he could play fullback, wing and centre. At the time he was signed we were short in those positions, but things changed quickly with the emergence of Edwards and Blake and Peta never set the world of fire.

I’m not sure Peta Hiku signing then being released less than 18 months later had any real impact on the players released early or not resigned. From 2016 only Sowie & Elijah Taylor were released mid season and neither had anything to do with Peta Hiku. At the end of that season the club chose to not resign Will Smith, both Jennings boys, Latimore and a few others but those decisions had nothing to do with Peta Hiku. He may have been a dud signing but cost us nothing as it turned out.

I’m really gonna miss Trent Merrin, Peach and CHN and will not enjoy seeing them play against us in 2019 & beyond but I understand the reasons why they were released, they have benefited personally and the overall benefits to our club & roster is what comes first.

All I can say is if our club continues to develop outstanding young talent at the rate we are producing well you had better get used to the concept of early releases because there will be more each and every season going forward.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think it was pretty clearly the case that we needed to push Merrin out in order to free up the money to lock up JFH and Luai.

Who wouldn’t make that trade?

I think you’ll find the money required to resign Viliame Kikau was substantial, I haven’t seen any figures quoted in the press but he may be close to highest paid forward in the club.

betcats

Referee
I think you’ll find the money required to resign Viliame Kikau was substantial, I haven’t seen any figures quoted in the press but he may be close to highest paid forward in the club.

If he isn't yet he soon will be. He will be the highest paid forward in the game one day.

tripster

Juniors

I am sure Kikau cost a lot, but we re-signed him when Merrin was still on the books.

Anyway, we are all speaking from the same page - Merrin wasn’t pushed out for the sake of it, it was to free up money under the salary cap to keep other players.

When you look at who we have managed to keep, at the end of the day it was the right choice (or appears to be now - given none of us can know the future).

Abacus

Juniors
I am sure Kikau cost a lot, but we re-signed him when Merrin was still on the books.

Anyway, we are all speaking from the same page - Merrin wasn’t pushed out for the sake of it, it was to free up money under the salary cap to keep other players.

When you look at who we have managed to keep, at the end of the day it was the right choice (or appears to be now - given none of us can know the future).
Rennings still unsigned? Any of Mez's cash left?

Latest posts